Jimmy Graham's status

quadsas

Reaction score
How's he doing? At one point I even forgot he was a Seahawk cause nobody was talking about him for months. WIll he be ready for Week 1?

sutz

Reaction score
Probably not, considering the injury and what I've read so far. I think the most optimistic reports were that he would be on PUP for training camp. We get occasional reports that his recovery is "on schedule" or "going very well" but nothing you could hang your hat on. Most likely will begin the season on PUP.

Hawks46

Reaction score
The last article I read on it, Schneider said that Graham was looking good, was on schedule, and that schedule was to be ready by week 1.

I honestly can't see that, as it was a serious injury, but then again, none of us know HOW serious it really was. A partial tear is typically much less severe than a full tear. We're also talking world class athletes here. I do know that there was something on twitter showing Graham walking around OTA's with a normal gait and there are numerous pictures of him walking around the facilities with no brace on.

WIth the addition of the kid from Ohio St. I can't see us rushing Jimmy back, especially since he's more of a traditional TE that our offense needs.

impacthawk

Reaction score
I also heard Coach Carroll state in a radio interview last week (No link or source) that he is on track to be available at the start of the season. With that said, common sense dictates a lot of caution here, and I'm sure Coach is giving his best case scenario. I have not heard anything publicly that would contradict Carroll or Schneider on this. Until I hear otherwise, I expect him to be ready When the season opens.

kf3339

Reaction score
Whenever he comes back just don't ask him to be a blocking TE to any significant degree. He needs to be in effect a large mismatch receiving TE/WR.

That should be his role from now on IMO.

OP
OP
Q

quadsas

Reaction score
kf3339":21sp6s0x said:
Whenever he comes back just don't ask him to be a blocking TE to any significant degree. He needs to be in effect a large mismatch receiving TE/WR.

I imagine that's why we drafted Vannett

chris98251

Reaction score
Optimistic stories versus facts, Rawls and Graham have said to be doing really well and on track, so we draft three RB's and a TE and there is rumor that Lynch may hold off on filing papers to be available late in the season if needed.

Nobody is going to tell us or anyone in the media what's really going on till the players hurt can go full speed. Richardson was suppose to be ok last season and they decided to have him take a year off basically, healed and contact ready may not always be the same thing. Rebuilding muscle mass and strength and agility etc may take more time then just a simple range of motion and pain free.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
We definitely won't know until they play their first game and see how their body reacts. We all saw what happen to Earl, Sherman and Kam after their injuries, they weren't playing like they were ready. Even Marshawn playing with his injury you can see he had lost a step. Week 1 will be very telling.

Graham could pull a Harvin, be gone until playoffs and dominant in the Superbowl and win another championship, I wouldn't mind that happening again.

Graham will hopefully be more like Sidney, hurt in his 1st year here, and then 2nd season he played great and played in all 16 games.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I don't remember who said it on here, but I agree with him - Graham will most likely start the season on the PUP, get "we'll see"'d by Pete through Week 8, activated, then go on IR by Week 11. Doesn't play a down this year. Those patella injuries are career-altering.

That's just me, though. And you all know me.

kf3339

Reaction score
quadsas":i99rmuu5 said:
kf3339":i99rmuu5 said:

I imagine that's why we drafted Vannett

I had Vannett in my mock draft and am thrilled we got him. So yes Thank God he will fill the blocking TE role since none of our other ones are worth a damn in that respect.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
I can think of one player who had ever been close to what he was after a patellar tear. It's practically the kiss of death in football. Heck Victor Cruz still hasn't been able to get on the field. Almost 2 years now. I hope he finds his way back, but I have serious doubts we will ever see the old Jimmy Graham

nanomoz

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1pncdhpx said:
I don't remember who said it on here, but I agree with him - Graham will most likely start the season on the PUP, get "we'll see"'d by Pete through Week 8, activated, then go on IR by Week 11. Doesn't play a down this year. Those patella injuries are career-altering.

That's just me, though. And you all know me.

If Victor Cruz's rehab is any indication, it could be argued that this might actually be an optimistic outlook: "Maybe we can have hope for 2017?"

Smellyman

Reaction score
London12":3dpthi3v said:
Damn you guys are negative.

They seem to trust their own speculation over what Pete and john actually say.

Rob12

Reaction score
I think the, "Victor Cruz hasn't made it back from his injury," is a poor, poor comparison. It's lazy. Victor Cruz and Jimmy Graham are not the same player - not even close. Cruz needs his explosiveness. He's not 6'7" 265. Graham has ridiculous size, has decent wheels, and is a huge mismatch for many defenses. It's just not the same thing.

I think Graham likely starts on PUP but will be a contributor late in the season.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
http://www.howardluksmd.com/orthopedic- ... don-tears/

Here's a doctor's view that seems more optimistic.

The recovery from a patella tendon repair will take 6-12 months. Professional athletes like Jimmy Graham should be able to return to the field after 6-9 months or more of extensive therapy. Most of you non-professionals can likewise expect to return to an active lifestyle nearly a year after a patella tendon repair.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
I hope Jimmy proves me wrong , but I don't see him every playing football at a high level again. I am surprised we haven/t cut him just to save 9m .

again I hope I am wrong , im not a doctor .

jammerhawk

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":mne9l9gt said:
I hope Jimmy proves me wrong , but I don't see him every playing football at a high level again. I am surprised we haven/t cut him just to save 9m .

again I hope I am wrong , im not a doctor .

Thankfully on the Doctor part. Please inform us of the basis for your negativity, or is the sky always falling?:

What total codswallop, and utter horse puckey.

Geez some of you folks want the team to suck and have hated the Graham trade since it was made. Cut him to save $9 mil? Don't you think the FO hasn't thought of that eventuality if necessary? They clearly don't think that is needed or even remotely necessary. Graham is an unusually special talent who improves the team.

Graham has had access to the finest of medical care, his injury was early enough last season that he should be close to being back by the start of the season. Unlike Cruz there have been no setbacks for Graham and like all serious injuries there will need to be a testing period to see if he can be a full go. Besides my belief is that Jimmy thinks he's got some things to prove. We'll see if Pete's normal optimistic viewpoint is just that and Graham will need to go on PUP to start the year or whether Jimmy is ready to play ball again. I'm betting on the being ready.