Just a game manager. (Best Young QB Field Gulls Article)

Laloosh

Reaction score
Evan forgot to include the "Lombardi Trophies" stat.

Edit: Also, might not be a terrible idea to edit the title to reflect the article that you're linking to. The title itself would have elicited about 150 antagonistic responses depending on the week last season. Just my opinion.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I feel like Seahawks fans are the only ones perpetuating the whole "game manager" thing nowadays.

That narrative died on the national level even before Russ made it to his second Super Bowl in as many years. Maybe there are still some trolls here and there, but no one reputable is saying this anymore.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I would be interested to see a comparison of Cam's 1st four Seasons, as compared to Wilson's, because how they did in their Rookie Year would show how they truly progressed and by omitting Cam's rook Season kind of gives a false positive.
And what with the way that Wilson came on in the second half of last Year, and how the game has slowed down for him, who can say that he won't have an even better showing in his 5th Season.
Over all, I am amazed at his stats, given that his Offensive Line was far from being adequate last Season, and how he had adjusted for not having Marshawn Lynch in the lineup to help him out.

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
"Over the past several seasons, three young quarterbacks have emerged as glimmers of hope for their respective franchises.''

someone doesn't know what "glimmer" means

ctrcat

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2jtl2j2c said:
I would be interested to see a comparison of Cam's 1st four Seasons, as compared to Wilson's, because how they did in their Rookie Year would show how they truly progressed and by omitting Cam's rook Season kind of gives a false positive.
And what with the way that Wilson came on in the second half of last Year, and how the game has slowed down for him, who can say that he won't have an even better showing in his 5th Season.
Over all, I am amazed at his stats, given that his Offensive Line was far from being adequate last Season, and how he had adjusted for not having Marshawn Lynch in the lineup to help him out.

Cam only had one year of big time college football and is younger so like any argument, even statistics don't tell the whole story. Most don't know or forget how truly awful the Panthers defense and special teams were as the worst team in football when Cam arrived, so while Cam had an amazing rookie season, he was truly asked to do everything, not to mention it was coming off a lockout. Cam also had busted ribs, ankle, back, lost his entire WR/OL in 2014, etc., had Ted Ginn as a #1 last year, etc.

Jac

Reaction score
DavidSeven":31ocky29 said:
I feel like Seahawks fans are the only ones perpetuating the whole "game manager" thing nowadays.

That narrative died on the national level even before Russ made it to his second Super Bowl in as many years. Maybe there are still some trolls here and there, but no one reputable is saying this anymore.

That's true. I realize fantasy is a different animal altogether...but it does speak to national perception (i.e., biases go out the window and people want to win). In that regard, his preseason rankings have his average QB draft position is #4, with highs of #2 and lows of #7.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/players ... wilson.php

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I feel like the term "game manager" is pointless to debate because there is no universally accepted definition of it. What he's done on the field is there for everyone to see using film and statistics, so really the entire debate is mostly people expressing their own unique definition for the term.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Hmm, that was short. Did they forget to write the rest of the article?

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
DavidSeven":218zmmvg said:

Yep. It's getting tiresome.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ctrcat":1x1gxums said:
scutterhawk":1x1gxums said:

Cam only had one year of big time college football and is younger so like any argument, even statistics don't tell the whole story. Most don't know or forget how truly awful the Panthers defense and special teams were as the worst team in football when Cam arrived, so while Cam had an amazing rookie season, he was truly asked to do everything, not to mention it was coming off a lockout. Cam also had busted ribs, ankle, back, lost his entire WR/OL in 2014, etc., had Ted Ginn as a #1 last year, etc.
The point is, He, Luck & Wilson had ALL come into the NFL as greenhorns, and were introduced as ROOKIES, and None were given a mulligan.
As a Rookie, Wilson was on a leash, but he also had to share the load with Marshawn Lynch, but even when it got right down to game winning comebacks, (like the OT game against the Bears), Wilson met that particular challenge and performed like an All-Pro.
Am I to understand that you believe that Wilson had an easier Rookie Year because he had a much better Defense on the field, and it was they who made his stats better?
Nobody, but nobody works harder than Russell Wilson has at honing his skills.
He has always been one of the first to come in and dissect game films, and one of the last to leave the facilities in the evenings....To add, he's always been one of the first to Take The Blame for a loss, and not point to someone else to shoulder the blame.
Wilson has almost always had one of the shittiest O-Lines in the League to work behind, and when it came to pass protection...First half of last Season, he was being Sacked a hell of a lot more than Luck & Newton ever was.
Wilson has been constantly under pressure having to go against much tougher group of opponent here in the NFC WEST, so it's pretty hard for anyone to draw a parallel to Luck or Newton in that category.

sutz

Reaction score
I've always been somewhat amused by the whole "game manager" debate. Frankly, I like a QB that can 'manage' a game.

In Russell's case, he manages to win a lot of games. ;)

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1hqzxcyn said:
ctrcat":1hqzxcyn said:
scutterhawk":1hqzxcyn said:

The point is, He, Luck & Wilson had ALL come into the NFL as greenhorns, and were introduced as ROOKIES, and None were given a mulligan.
As a Rookie, Wilson was on a leash, but he also had to share the load with Marshawn Lynch, but even when it got right down to game winning comebacks, (like the OT game against the Bears), Wilson met that particular challenge and performed like an All-Pro.
Am I to understand that you believe that Wilson had an easier Rookie Year because he had a much better Defense on the field, and it was they who made his stats better?
Nobody, but nobody works harder than Russell Wilson has at honing his skills.
He has always been one of the first to come in and dissect game films, and one of the last to leave the facilities in the evenings....To add, he's always been one of the first to Take The Blame for a loss, and not point to someone else to shoulder the blame.
Wilson has almost always had one of the shittiest O-Lines in the League to work behind, and when it came to pass protection...First half of last Season, he was being Sacked a hell of a lot more than Luck & Newton ever was.
Wilson has been constantly under pressure having to go against much tougher group of opponent here in the NFC WEST, so it's pretty hard for anyone to draw a parallel to Luck or Newton in that category.
If you ignore fans from other teams that spend much of their time here trying to prop their team/players up by denigrating your team/players (hi Popeye), maybe in the long run they'll go away. Regardless, you're taking the bait and will never change their minds so why bother? I'm VERY happy to have Russ over Cam the preening peacock and by the time their careers are over I believe he'll be proven to be the better QB. But only time will tell for sure.

Joygazm

Reaction score
Russel would of dove on the ball, a game manager doesn't.

/debate

Anthony!

Reaction score
A real leader and QB does not walk away from a conference, he steps up and faces the music, like Wilson did.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2xq8x841 said:

Hey, did you all hear what Shawn Springs said about playing in Seattle? :shock:

Ozzy

Reaction score
Joygazm":htnst0eh said:
Russel would of dove on the ball, a game manager doesn't.

/debate
Lol good post!

sc85sis

Reaction score
One stat listed but not highlighted in those images is the o line rank: Indy 12th, Carolina 22nd, Seattle 27th.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1n0p7grd said:
If you ignore fans from other teams that spend much of their time here trying to prop their team/players up by denigrating your team/players (hi Popeye), maybe in the long run they'll go away. Regardless, you're taking the bait and will never change their minds so why bother? I'm VERY happy to have Russ over Cam the preening peacock and by the time their careers are over I believe he'll be proven to be the better QB. But only time will tell for sure.
What's the fun in that?
They come HERE with scabs on their EGO's, & I rip them off. :stirthepot: