FieldGulls Presser Notes and Thoughts

vin.couve12

Reaction score
http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/5/27/117 ... on-brandon

Was really cool to see that my suspicions were right about Cottom and Kasen, albeit only being in OTAs. I thought Tye Smith was going to be a lot like Lane and that's still to be seen, but it's awesome he keeps building. I didn't make too many assumptions about Tharold Simon, but if he looks better than ever then all the better. CB is going to be a hot position once again. On that topic, it really sounds like Browner isn't going anywhere, albeit not as an outside corner. Glowinski settling in at LG should make us a lot tougher at LG.

Overall, lots of good stuff this week. A lot of this will change when the pads go on, of course.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Was just reading that. The offensive line is such a big question mark. Everybody trying to be positive but we'll have no idea until we see them in the preseason.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Also Boykin. Our probable #2 QB is on a UDFA contract instead of 1.5 Mil or whatever and may even have more upside.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Laloosh":3ag5ijxj said:
Was just reading that. The offensive line is such a big question mark. Everybody trying to be positive but we'll have no idea until we see them in the preseason.
Yeah, agreed. I do like the bodies that we have there though. I posted in another thread that I really hope we set our starters a good 2-3 weeks before game 1 so they can get used to playing with each other. I honestly think one of the biggest reasons for the drastically poor OL play in the beginning of the season was that the left arm didn't know what the right arm was doing at all. They hadn't played together as a unit until about a week before. I think we took the competition too far in that regard.

Also, the whole Patrick Lewis saga is a really strange one to me. He's not great, but he's proven to be a solid C when he's started over the last two years. For whatever reason, he hasn't even been given 1st string reps in either of the last offseasons. Right now, Britt is taking reps with the ones. I would almost have to think that Cable just flat out doesn't like Lewis, but I really don't know. It's really odd to me.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Might as well throw in some ESPN stuff while we're at it:

Meanwhile, on one of the other fields, Bobby Wagner and Kam Chancellor stand side by side and take turns catching balls from defensive coordinator Kris Richard. As "Ante Up" blares from the speakers, Wagner shows the ability to multitask, cracking up Richard with his dance moves in between receptions. No one will ever accuse this team of being too tight.

12:20: The first-team offensive line from left to right is: Bradley Sowell, Mark Glowinski, Justin Britt, Ifedi and Terry Poole. Britt has officially made the move to center. Sowell and Poole are filling in for Gilliam and Webb.

With Rawls sidelined, Christine Michael gets the reps at running back with the first team.

12:32: A shotgun snap from Britt flies over Wilson's head. It should go without saying that he's learning a new position, and growing pains are to be expected.

With Bennett not in attendance, rookie Quinton Jefferson seems to be taking all of his snaps, playing defensive end in base with the starters and swinging inside when they move to sub packages. Frank Clark is taking Bruce Irvin's snaps at right defensive end in passing situations.

The Seahawks seem convinced that Brandon Browner can really help them. He's switched from cornerback to safety now and found himself in a number of different spots during practice -- covering tight ends often, blitzing and playing in the back end. Much of Browner's work came as a third safety with the starters in the team's sub packages. In these looks, the Seahawks went with four defensive linemen, one linebacker (Wagner) and six defensive backs. The dime look wasn't part of their arsenal last year, but it might be in 2016.

At cornerback, Jeremy Lane is lining up on the right side and swinging inside in sub packages. Tharold Simon then replaces him on the outside. Cornerback DeShawn Shead worked by himself off to the side with an undisclosed issue.

1:14: Second-year cornerback Tye Smith is one of the players Carroll singled out as having had an impressive offseason. During an 11-on-11 rep, he runs step for step with Tyler Lockett downfield and forces an incompletion. Richard Sherman, who is entering his sixth season in the NFL, appears to have more energy than anyone else on the field. He heads over to the offense's sideline and playfully mocks Lockett.

Graham, who is roughly nine inches taller than Lockett, serves as the wide receiver's muscle and (with a big smile on his face) steps in front of the wide receiver to shield him from Sherman.

Just at that moment, Sherman turns around, notices a near-interception by Simon and sprints back onto the field to celebrate.

http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawk ... servations

ivotuk

Reaction score
That's so weird because Patrick is such a winner! They must have one of those size rules or something like they have with DBs but Lewis just keeps getting himself in to the starting position.

Or maybe there's something like with CMike that he just isn't getting?

I really liked this that RW had to say:

"Russ couldn't be here for rookie mini-camp but he watched Kenny Lawler making those catches, laughs, crazy hands. YouTubed a couple of his highlights too just to see him make plays. He's got great hands.

He made some great plays during OTA number 2. The receiver group, there are so many guys, it's going to be competitive. Got a lot of work in the off-season.

Has always done a lot of work with the receivers in the off-season but Russ is talking four times a week every week this off-season. Trying to get as many throws, catches and detail work as they could and it is showing up."

sdog1981

Reaction score
Just once I would like someone to say

"The guys looked like crap today" or "Man (fill in the blank) can't block to save his life"

kf3339

Reaction score
Laloosh":10apafb3 said:
mrt144":10apafb3 said:
Does Britt have dirt on Cable? WTF!

Almost has a Rex Ryan - Mark Sanchez sort of vibe to it.

What I don't get is if Britt couldn't handle the LG job at an even mediocre level, how in the hell does Cable and PS think he can take on the line call responsibilities of the Center position in addition to being assignment correct? This move is just asking for trouble.

They need to just admit the mistake and make him a backup, period. A swing lineman who can play both guard and tackle as a last resort is not a bad thing, and at this point is really his only worth to the team.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
vin.couve12":19oj1kv8 said:
Jefferson taking Bennett's snaps was a cool note. That one hadn't been talked about.

In my case, that is also pretty cool to hear.

In the BatterOfSeattle roster thread (now on top of page 2) I projected Jefferson as the immediate backup to Bennett at RDE while others slotted him at DT.

So it's excited to see Jefferson in Bennett's role. I think the guy will be a solid starter in a few seasons. Like his makeup and his ability coming out.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":kjpbr8qu said:
vin.couve12":kjpbr8qu said:
Jefferson taking Bennett's snaps was a cool note. That one hadn't been talked about.

In my case, that is also pretty cool to hear.

In the BatterOfSeattle roster thread (now on top of page 2) I projected Jefferson as the immediate backup to Bennett at RDE while others slotted him at DT.

So it's excited to see Jefferson in Bennett's role. I think the guy will be a solid starter in a few seasons. Like his makeup and his ability coming out.
Well, you could really slot him as a 3 tech on a lot of teams or LDE/5 Tech. He's a lot like a bigger version of Bennett. Whether he has the same "1 inch punch" as Bennett that really makes him successful along with the masterful hand fighting technique remains to be seen. Things look good for that kid though, for sure.

Smellyman

Reaction score
sdog1981":22rel9w3 said:

"The guys looked like crap today" or "Man (fill in the blank) can't block to save his life"

Every camp, college or pros, reports are glowing.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
sdog1981":ogge8wo6 said:

Why? Given we'll find that out soon enough. This is prom season let the guys at least think they're going to get some.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kf3339":18veuvuh said:
Laloosh":18veuvuh said:
mrt144":18veuvuh said:
Does Britt have dirt on Cable? WTF!

Almost has a Rex Ryan - Mark Sanchez sort of vibe to it.

What I don't get is if Britt couldn't handle the LG job at an even mediocre level, how in the hell does Cable and PS think he can take on the line call responsibilities of the Center position in addition to being assignment correct? This move is just asking for trouble.

They need to just admit the mistake and make him a backup, period. A swing lineman who can play both guard and tackle as a last resort is not a bad thing, and at this point is really his only worth to the team.

It's possible, given that Britt has played RT and LG now, and is going on year 3 in Cable's system, is ahead of the rookies. He's physically in another dimension compared to Lewis. I also don't pretend to know whether or not he will have the line calls mastered. That will be seen in TC.

What I don't get is how Lewis seems to hold down the fort and do at least average, keeps getting bumped for the flavor of the week every offseason. I know he gets overwhelmed physically, but the line calls seem correct.

I don't get twisted about any of this stuff until the pads go on.