Bennett #59 of top 100

kpak76

Reaction score
How good would Avril and Bennett be if the had Cortez Kennedy on the line?

BuZzB28

Reaction score
Trrrroy":2c3xx3kq said:
Pay that man.

Agreed. We should sign him about 12 to 14 millions a year. He is a great team. He will be happy here.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Meh, love me some bennett, but theres no reason to pay him anything more this season.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Referring to himself in third person while being shirtless was... very fitting to his personality.

His spot on the list seems fair imo

kobebryant

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2cqg8u54 said:
Meh, love me some bennett, but theres no reason to pay him anything more this season.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but he has significantly outperformed the value of his contract and his APY is ridiculously low compared to some far inferior DEs, though I do understand that contracts are often about timing as well.

But, Bennett led 4-3 DEs in total pressures last season, even while taking snaps at DT. He is just so much better than guys who make so much more money.

In terms of precedent, I don't think that giving Bennett a raise would be a bad precedent at all. Ruthlessly, you could leverage him as an example against Kam. If you show up to work and play great and like one of the top 3 dlineman in the NFL you get taken care of; if you skip work/have a down year like Kam, you get nothing. Kam's tail was firmly between his legs, poor precedent totally averted there.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
kobebryant":1u6uvhla said:
gowazzu02":1u6uvhla said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but he has significantly outperformed the value of his contract and his APY is ridiculously low compared to some far inferior DEs, though I do understand that contracts are often about timing as well.

But, Bennett led 4-3 DEs in total pressures last season, even while taking snaps at DT. He is just so much better than guys who make so much more money.

In terms of precedent, I don't think that giving Bennett a raise would be a bad precedent at all. Ruthlessly, you could leverage him as an example against Kam. If you show up to work and play great and like one of the top 3 dlineman in the NFL you get taken care of; if you skip work/have a down year like Kam, you get nothing. Kam's tail was firmly between his legs, poor precedent totally averted there.

Ok who are you going to cut then? The reality of salary cap football is you can't have the highest paid guy at every position. MB is compensated very well for his work. Truth is the nfl doesn't have a value chart for what he does. he doesn't put up the same sack numbers as the higher paid Dends. He brings alot to the table yes but the pass rushing market is set by sack numbers. And yes timing, he was a FA before the cap ballooned.

themunn

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1a11olrl said:
kobebryant":1a11olrl said:
gowazzu02":1a11olrl said:

Ok who are you going to cut then? The reality of salary cap football is you can't have the highest paid guy at every position. MB is compensated very well for his work. Truth is the nfl doesn't have a value chart for what he does. he doesn't put up the same sack numbers as the higher paid Dends. He brings alot to the table yes but the pass rushing market is set by sack numbers. And yes timing, he was a FA before the cap ballooned.

You find a way - Bennett is a significantly better player than when he signed his contract - you have someone on that very video saying it's tough to choose between JJ Watt and Michael Bennett!
Whether or not you necessarily agree with that comparison, it shows the level he's playing at - and also shows future free agents that maybe you take a little less than your believed market value to go to Seattle, because if you perform you will get PAID

kobebryant

Reaction score
themunn":11m4ybbw said:
gowazzu02":11m4ybbw said:
kobebryant":11m4ybbw said:
gowazzu02":11m4ybbw said:

You find a way - Bennett is a significantly better player than when he signed his contract - you have someone on that very video saying it's tough to choose between JJ Watt and Michael Bennett!
Whether or not you necessarily agree with that comparison, it shows the level he's playing at - and also shows future free agents that maybe you take a little less than your believed market value to go to Seattle, because if you perform you will get PAID

And it would reward balling out instead of holding out.

Basis4day

Reaction score
themunn":3vs9k7yr said:

It's easy to say "you find a way", but that's unrealistic. The Hawks are limited in their cap space by quite a margin.
Now it's a bit unfair to ask a fan to create a cap scenario when we don't really know how much Bennett is actually asking for behind the scenes.

Shall we say 5 million more a year just for discussion sake? Can you try and give us a scenario where you free up that much and are comfortable with any cuts?

Personally i believe Bennett does deserve to be paid more, but i don't think the Hawks should pay him more.