League fluctuations

gowazzu02

Reaction score
I was thinking about this topic this morning listening to Cliff Avril being interviewed. Remember the off season when Cliff and Mike Bennett both signed "smallish" prove it type deals with us. Because the Pass rushing market was depressed. Now fast forward to this past off season and how you get a guy like Vernon who has been patently average his entire career and he's getting quarterback money.

Crazyness. And just goes to show you that it takes some luck to win in this league. Now obvi JS PC were smart enough to strike, but also were able to do that cause their franchise qb was getting paid peanuts. Just crazy to look back at the recent history of things.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
If Vernon can fetch that kind of money, I'd be curious what von miller would get on the open market. The Giants vastly overpaid for Vernon imo, but they felt he could fill a need.

That '13 offseason for us was really something. Even tho Harvin got most the attention, Bennett and Avril have obviously provided the best value overall. We're lucky to have JS calling the shots. Ruskell would've passed on those two more than likely

nanomoz

Reaction score
Jerhawk":3obtcb7i said:
If Vernon can fetch that kind of money, I'd be curious what von miller would get on the open market. The Giants vastly overpaid for miller imo, but they felt he could fill a need.

That '13 offseason for us was really something. Even tho Harvin got most the attention, Bennett and Avril have obviously provided the best value overall. We're lucky to have JS calling the shots. Ruskell would've passed on those two more than likely

If I recall correctly, Ruskell already passed on Michael Bennett, at an even lower cost, in favor of carrying a second kicker on the roster in 2009. That kicker, Brandon Coutu, never amounted to anything.

Ruck Fuskell.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
nanomoz":23v0s393 said:
Jerhawk":23v0s393 said:
If Vernon can fetch that kind of money, I'd be curious what von miller would get on the open market. The Giants vastly overpaid for miller imo, but they felt he could fill a need.

If I recall correctly, Ruskell already passed on Michael Bennett, at an even lower cost, in favor of carrying a second kicker on the roster in 2009. That kicker, Brandon Coutu, never amounted to anything.

Ruck Fuskell.
Spot on nanomoz.

Seafan

Reaction score
Jerhawk":24mc2shn said:
If Vernon can fetch that kind of money, I'd be curious what von miller would get on the open market. The Giants vastly overpaid for Vernon imo, but they felt he could fill a need.

Even better were the second contracts in 2014. Bennett could have bet on himself again but obviously he and his agent didn't foresee the kind of money teams would be throwing around.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seafan":1fuio6ai said:
Jerhawk":1fuio6ai said:

Even better were the second contracts in 2014. Bennett could have bet on himself again but obviously he and his agent didn't foresee the kind of money teams would be throwing around.

So, what you're saying is, that Bennett & his Agent were "Settlers"? :mrgreen:

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Yeah, with 2nd contracts on the most recent CBA we're seeing some whack deals where teams' desperate needs meet whatever's available and/or perceptions of greatness based off small sample sizes.

Vernon: $52.5M gtd. 11th most gtd $ in the NFL! Right between Aaron Rodgers and JJ Watt.

Osweiller: $37M gtd

Byron Maxwell: $25 gtd after one season as a starter.

Janoris Jenkins: $29M gtd. That was second for gtd-per-year behind only Revis at the time of the deal. That's nuts.

Josh Norman: $36.5 gtd. That's 15th most in the entire league. He had exactly ONE standout year and still only has 7 CAREER interceptions.

Allen Flippin' Hurns: Just got $20M gtd, with a $10M avg salary. After 2 decent seasons!

:240039:

:lol:

GeekHawk

Reaction score
nanomoz":1ikj2k0z said:
Jerhawk":1ikj2k0z said:

Ruck Fuskell.

The Bill Bavasi of football. At least the franchise didn't remain screwed for another 5 or more years after he finally got axed!

BlueTalon

Reaction score
nanomoz":20im2edy said:
Yup. And IMO, that was the most indefensible thing Ruskell ever did, even more so than the Hutch thing.