Seahawks vrs Dolphins..Week 1.

Djphinfan

Reaction score
Dolphin fan here, and I come in peace, and in search of some non surface level knowledge about your players, I'll preface by saying that I'm as big as Russell Wilson fan as anyone, and am in love with the venue that you play in { have started a thread on your 12 th man before} as far as Wilson goes, I wanted to desperately to draft him the year he came out, and I constantly get crapped on at my own site for bringing his name up in the conversation when discussing our own qb..

The matchup itself on paper seems like an easy win except for some matchups of strengths and weaknesses..So I'll just let you know some of our strengths, players and where were at position unit wise, and if you could be so gracious to do the same it would be appreciated.

I like the line matchup in our favor..

D-line...Mario Williams-Cam Wake-Suh-Phillips.

Mario Williams has a story from last year thats following him, he seems to be highly motivated to get back on track, and is adamant that he will play with a chip.

Cam Wake has been cleared and is 100 percent..Reports are he looks ''quick and explosive'

Jordan Phillips was our hi 2nd round pick last year who bt all reports is starting next to Suh.

Suh.

I see that your oline is in flux, seems like your not happy with the line coach cable, and your center situation, and I believe you will be starting Ifedi the rook and another 2nd year player,? this plus the loss of a good athletic guard in sweezy.

Now I know you have a freakin magician back there but I believe we can break your protection down and chase all day..The problem is thats when wilson is at his best..outside rushers need to contain while Suh and Phillips get interior pressure on a inexperienced interior line of yours..

The game imo will come down to whether or not we limit him from making heartbreaking conversions.

Our oline on the other hand should be much improved..

Branden Albert is 100 percent..Mike Pouncey 100 percent..Juwan James..100 percent, add the rookie phenom Tunsil and we have something cooking here, Tunsil is making the transition to guard and is embracing it..Billy turner or Bushrod will be our right guard..

Y'all have an excellent defense we know that... our online will be much improved with a lot of talent on it {4 first round picks}, The focus is to give Ryan a bit more time then he's ever seen..

Jay ajayi will be our starter with the rookie kenyon drake as a weapon..Ayayi dropped 10 to 218 and is ready to carry the load, he flashed some last year but was playing admittedly heavy, 218 is a nice weight for him and he should be quick and powerful, he's a nice piece, likens himself to your own bestmode..its not close of course but he has a chance to be a 1500 total yard back.

Our receiver unit is the strongest on the team..and your secondary is the best in the league..we do have weapons..

Devante Parker is a young big stud who can elevate, with excellent hand eye coordination and leaping ability, on top of a 6'3 frame, huge excellent hands, true #1 potential.

Then you have Jarvis Landry who is quickly becoming a household name, kid is as tough as they come, has more catches then any other receiver in history in his first two years, we call him juice, we also have kenny stills who adam gase tried to trade for last year in chicago and the new rookies Jakeem grant and Carroo...Jakeem grant has joystick talent, was the fastest player in the draft, and is all of 5'5.

We are very young in the secondary, very green..We have your Guy Maxwell as our #1, a rookie at the #2, a 2nd year little guy in mccain at the #3, at 4 we have another rookie and a 2nd year wide receiver convert..

Im scared..our only hope is to overwhelm your oline and pressure..

I don't think your optimistic about Jimmy Graham being available on opening day but you can correct me on that.

Baldwin and Lockett is a deadly small combo, but what do you have beyond that that I should worry about?, Kearse? who would start at tight end if Graham doesn't start?, Wilson or Miller.?

well, Ill shut up for now, Please let me know how you think you will win this game?, where do you think your most vulnerable?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Quality post.

We're most vulnerable with our coaches holding our players back early in the season and playing things very vanilla and close to the vest. I'm too lazy to find stats to back it up, but I feel like we're a very slow starting team.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I agree. If the coaches stick with the quick strike passing game, the OL issue becomes a much smaller deal. If they try to force the long developing pass plays down Miamis throat I think it will be a much more difficult game than it needs to be. I will be watching to see how the OL handles the interior pressure of Suh, as guys like Donald and Short were able to successfully wreck our gameplan.

kearly

Reaction score
The Dolphins are coming off a last place 6-10 season, and betting sites project them to win 7 games or less in 2016. This game is in Seattle, where the Seahawks haven't lost a home game to a team that ended the year with a losing record since 2011 (Redskins).

For these reasons and others, Seattle is currently the most heavily favored team of week one, with a point spread ranging from -7.5 to -8.5 points.

The Dolphins pass rush will present a major challenge for Seattle's OL. But Seattle is a run first team, and the Dolphins run D ranked just 20th in DVOA last season (Seattle's run D ranked 3rd). Seattle's overall offense ranked 1st in DVOA last season, and their rush offense ranked 3rd. The Dolphins rush offense (with Lamar Miller) was a respectable 13th. Yet still:

3rd vs. 13th
3rd vs. 20th

Seattle easily wins the running game matchup on both sides of the ball. And Seattle will run a LOT.

The best way for the Dolphins to win is if they jump out to a huge lead very early and then force Seattle to abandon the run. I loved Landry Jones and Jay Ajayi when they were prospects, but they don't match up particularly well against a defense like Seattle's. Hell, I probably like Ajayi more than the Miami front office does, considering that the Miami FO tried and failed to upgrade over Ajayi with two average RBs, CJ Anderson and Chris Johnson.

When Seattle played bad teams last year (after switching to the spread), they generally blew them out. Week one can be wacky, but if I'm betting on week one, I'm betting the over on Seattle.

Atradees

Reaction score
I think its interesting that the Dolphins are starting Turnstile at guard. We are starting Ifedi at guard. It seems to be the recipe for guys learning how to play out of the "stance". We have a monstrous offensive line with zero real time real games together planned for this year and basically they are all geared towards run blocking. Wilson will have to rely on the quick pass options early; then sneak in a bomb or two after the Dolphins are reeling from the run gashes. Of course Houdini also rushes....

I think BB coming back as the "Boom" should be interesting. He created tons of turnovers wreckin havac with violent collisions. This staff will place Browner in a spot to be effective. I cant wait to see what our new DL additions might bring.

It seems as if a few older additions to the Fins DL are gonna have to gel first and actually make that comeback.

So yes; the Dolphins DL is formidable on paper. The Seahawks OL will still be raw and learning.

Wilson over Tannehill...I will take that every time. (2 picks of Tannehill minimum)

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":22uah8vp said:
I agree. If the coaches stick with the quick strike passing game, the OL issue becomes a much smaller deal. If they try to force the long developing pass plays down Miamis throat I think it will be a much more difficult game than it needs to be. I will be watching to see how the OL handles the interior pressure of Suh, as guys like Donald and Short were able to successfully wreck our gameplan.
Yeah a bit slow starting, thats the hope, catching you off guard a bit, however that crowd doesn't really allow letdowns..They force the players to play hard..very unique venue, genius.

we'll be hyped to play, new young coach and all, free from that cobweb philbin.. we played you all at our place a couple years ago.

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":2fi6kc71 said:
our corners and secondary are gonna be playing a lot of cover three, which I believe is what y'all play over here..press and release on the crossing stuff..

We have a top 5 safety in the league in Reshad Jones, He loves to hangout in the box and hit people, kinda like Chancellor, do you think with our press style it may be hard for you guys to run a quick passing game..Maxwell presses well no?

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
kearly":2ueffq22 said:
The Dolphins are coming off a last place 6-10 season, and betting sites project them to win 7 games or less in 2016. This game is in Seattle, where the Seahawks haven't lost a home game to a team that ended the year with a losing record since 2011 (Redskins).

For these reasons and others, Seattle is currently the most heavily favored team of week one, with a point spread ranging from -7.5 to -8.5 points.

The Dolphins pass rush will present a major challenge for Seattle's OL. But Seattle is a run first team, and the Dolphins run D ranked just 20th in DVOA last season (Seattle's run D ranked 3rd). Seattle's overall offense ranked 1st in DVOA last season, and their rush offense ranked 3rd. The Dolphins rush offense (with Lamar Miller) was a respectable 13th. Yet still:

3rd vs. 13th
3rd vs. 20th

Seattle easily wins the running game matchup on both sides of the ball. And Seattle will run a LOT.

The best way for the Dolphins to win is if they jump out to a huge lead very early and then force Seattle to abandon the run. I loved Landry Jones and Jay Ajayi when they were prospects, but they don't match up particularly well against a defense like Seattle's. Hell, I probably like Ajayi more than the Miami front office does, considering that the Miami FO tried and failed to upgrade over Ajayi with two average RBs, CJ Anderson and Chris Johnson.

When Seattle played bad teams last year (after switching to the spread), they generally blew them out. Week one can be wacky, but if I'm betting on week one, I'm betting the over on Seattle.

We believe we have a true Mike in Kiko Alonso, he's 100 percent healthy, last year he was coming off injury so this is his 2nd year removed..dude has instincts and speed..we haven't had a good mike since Zach.. Jordan Phillips is a very large highly talented d tackle, he's immovable up front next to Suh, and he's starting, we should be a different team in this dept. ..without Lynch, with your oline not being a strength, and our D-line being a strength, I see our run defense being able to hold fort..

The Los is what makes that line from vegas a little large imo, we will probably lose but not by much I dont think..we do have recent experience playing you all and having success.

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
Atradees":f5qxmt1b said:
I think its interesting that the Dolphins are starting Turnstile at guard. We are starting Ifedi at guard. It seems to be the recipe for guys learning how to play out of the "stance". We have a monstrous offensive line with zero real time real games together planned for this year and basically they are all geared towards run blocking. Wilson will have to rely on the quick pass options early; then sneak in a bomb or two after the Dolphins are reeling from the run gashes. Of course Houdini also rushes....

I think BB coming back as the "Boom" should be interesting. He created tons of turnovers wreckin havac with violent collisions. This staff will place Browner in a spot to be effective. I cant wait to see what our new DL additions might bring.

It seems as if a few older additions to the Fins DL are gonna have to gel first and actually make that comeback.

So yes; the Dolphins DL is formidable on paper. The Seahawks OL will still be raw and learning.

Wilson over Tannehill...I will take that every time. (2 picks of Tannehill minimum)
Wilson is deadly and I have made the case that his threat to run on the read option, his elite escapability talent , is just what keeps defenders hesitating and watching his every move, which opens up the run game for whoever is running the ball.

our weakest area on the team is corner..we have 1 player we know can play at this level...1...not good..

1st year in the offense scares me with the crowd noise.

however, if Jimmy Graham doesn't play, and Lynch we know is gone, thats two big weapons missing from the arsenal.

chris98251

Reaction score
Djphinfan":3fl8nsl2 said:
EverydayImRusselin":3fl8nsl2 said:
our corners and secondary are gonna be playing a lot of cover three, which I believe is what y'all play over here..press and release on the crossing stuff..

We have a top 5 safety in the league in Reshad Jones, He loves to hangout in the box and hit people, kinda like Chancellor, do you think with our press style it may be hard for you guys to run a quick passing game..Maxwell presses well no?

The offense will run, but I think we screen and find the TE's a lot more now, also our players have practiced against the Cover three now for 5 years, nobody knows how to break it down better then Pete.

It will come down to how well the line comes together for us in pre season, we really don't want Wilson running for his life in the first game of the season.

penihawk

Reaction score
Sounds like somebody drank a "Big Gulp" sized cup of Dolphin Kool-aid this off season. :lol:

Seriously though, I like your team on paper but it still is a collection of often hurt and never won anything guys. How many times have we seen paper dynasties suck on the field? Having said that however, your teams success or lack there of will come down to the QB. It is put up or get out time for Tannehill. If he elevates to the next level, they have a legit shot week 1 and the entire season. If not its the same old Dolphins.

As far as the Hawks go, we did move on from some guys but I think we have improved our roster depth back to SB level again to go with a core group that knows how to win football games when all healthy. But much like your team and every team for that matter its about the QB. Wilson, imo, will elevate his game to elite level this year as this team becomes centered around him. We will still run the ball often & well but I think its Wilson's baby now with much more freedoms at the los to get us out of negative plays before they happen. Our defense, if healthy, will be top 5 and supply lots of problems for Tannehill wk 1.

Should be a great game! :D

hawker84

Reaction score
Djphinfan":1mypw806 said:
Atradees":1mypw806 said:

Wilson is deadly and I have made the case that his threat to run on the read option, his elite escapability talent , is just what keeps defenders hesitating and watching his every move, which opens up the run game for whoever is running the ball.

our weakest area on the team is corner..we have 1 player we know can play at this level...1...not good..

1st year in the offense scares me with the crowd noise.

however, if Jimmy Graham doesn't play, and Lynch we know is gone, thats two big weapons missing from the arsenal.

First, thanks for the quality post, enjoy seeing other teams fans coming over and talking football. Really sound like you love and follow your team close. My boss is a Dolphin fan, and he's passionate about his Dolphins, so good to see.

Second, yes Losing Graham and Lynch is a big deal don't get me wrong, both potential HOF talents. But let's not forget, we did not have the service of either for most of last season, and rolled just fine. We now see what Baldwin, RW and Rawls can really do when given the opportunity. Rawls coming back will just add to that. Lockett and kearse are formidable to say the least, and we now have a legit in-line blocker at TE who can catch as well, and a third down back that is deadly running and catching balls. If RW gets any kind of time back there it's curtains. Your only hope is that our O-line is a disaster and RW is constantly under fire. Barring injury, it will be a close game only because our Coaching staff will wait till the second half to take the training wheels off as usual and let RW go to work. Your D-line looks very good though, I have to say that, and I'm extremely impressed with your receivers. Tannehill is a decent QB, but I think our defense will be a bad match up for him. Hears to a great game and injury free....

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I'm a natural pessimist but I've had a funny feeling about the Week 1 Dolphin's game. I think they maybe better than many think.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Watching Boise State here in the area, Ya Ajayi is a good to great player. Has the moves that imitate Beasty. You all got a good one on your hands there. I think it will be a tough matchup between our front line as they are gonna be kinda new with each other and your defensive line. Could be a great chess match. Hopefully it does not turn into checkers and you have all the kings. A friend of mine in this area is a Phinfan. I am sure he is waiting with baited breath for this matchup. Good luck to both teams.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Djphinfan":bsd7p2y4 said:
kearly":bsd7p2y4 said:

3rd vs. 13th
3rd vs. 20th

We believe we have a true Mike in Kiko Alonso, he's 100 percent healthy, last year he was coming off injury so this is his 2nd year removed..dude has instincts and speed..we haven't had a good mike since Zach.. Jordan Phillips is a very large highly talented d tackle, he's immovable up front next to Suh, and he's starting, we should be a different team in this dept. ..without Lynch, with your oline not being a strength, and our D-line being a strength, I see our run defense being able to hold fort..

The Los is what makes that line from vegas a little large imo, we will probably lose but not by much I dont think..we do have recent experience playing you all and having success.

Huge duck fan here. If he can stay healthy (which unfortunately is a huge if), you're going to love kiko. Dumb as a box of rocks, but dude was born to play football.

NINEster

Reaction score
What about the Dolphins hiring Vance Joseph as DC? Former Bengals DB coach.

He saw up close and personal what Rawls did to them, and everyone knows about Wilson.

I think he fixes the mistakes and finds a way to improve the run defense.

I believe the game will end in a 13-13 tie.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Not sure I like the matchup from a Miami perspective.

On the road in a tough place to play. That's going to be difficult.

We're not worried about the pass rush. Because it's kind of an incidental thing for us. We run the ball. We commit to it. And don't generally shy away from it even if it's not working. The only way we abandon it is if we get behind by more than 14. I don't see that being a real concern re: Miami offense v. Seattle defense.

It doesn't seem like Miami is a team built to play our style. Seems they configured their team to match up with the Patriots style. And when the Pats decide to go run heavy Miami has seemed to really struggle in those games.

Seattle's game is to keep it close. Run early and often. Suffocate the run and force our opponent to win via the pass. Let the other team make game killing mistakes. I think Tannehill playing a mistake free game is the only way the game is close. Not sure how confident one can be in that regard.

I like Miami on paper. But I think our strengths avoid your strengths and our style forces you to play our style. We may not even pass it 25 times. I don't see Miami being capable of forcing us out of our element. We're perfectly fine going into the 4th quarter with 13 points or less on our board. We'll play the field position game all day long. And I kind of expect Miami to make a crucial mistake or two to cough the game up.

Seattle is adept at playing in tight pressure moments late in the game. The team, by design and philosophy, want to keep it close and beat the opponent down relentlessly and sprinkle in explosive plays. It'll likely be won/lost on 8 individual impact plays. I think Seattle is going to have the bigger share of that.

That said, I can see Miami emerging with a win. They're young/hungry and they are physical. I wouldn't expect them to back down from the challenge. I like our defense better and one should always take the better defense at home. I also think our QB is better. He's perfect for our philosophy because he's one of the most efficient in the league and he almost always leads the league in fewest turnovers. Seattle will let you lose the game for us.

If Miami wins, they'll have earned it in full. Seattle rarely ever gifts a game away.

Largent80

Reaction score
Thanks for the OP.

Tough road game for the Phins if you ask me. The Hawks want/need to get off to a good start after last year, and not winning the division.

We have a stable of chip on their shoulder RB's, and a new O-Line. We really don't know what we have on the line until they start lining up and hitting, but we do know that we have some very decent depth at the RB position so we should be able to pound away at teams.

Wilson runs aggressive defenses into the ground and is a proven veteran now. Baldwin had a career year and is set to put up another fine set of numbers. Lockett is going into his 2nd year, and what a first year he had. We are also getting the speedy P. Richardson back healthy (so far). TE is up in the air, but Willson has been proven to be adequate and Vannett was added for his blocking, should really help the run game.

The defense more than likely will be as good or better than last year adding Browner back and getting Reed in the draft. No Chancellor holdout this year and I look for us to get the 2013 swagger back on defense.

Tough task for the Phins.

Hawks46

Reaction score
It's really hard to predict much before TC. On top of not being able to predict injuries, we honestly don't know how the line will fit together until preseason. Last year, we rotated guys in a lot, and there were guys starting at a brand new position 2 weeks before the season starts.

Pete has an "always compete' mantra, and that's the word we're getting on how the OL is going to shake out. There's big competition at Center, RG seems to be sewn up, and LG is going to be hard to unseat with Glowinski. I'm not sold on Webb as a RT, so at that point, do we go Sowell ? I don't think they want to slide Ifedi over right away, and sliding Britt back outside isn't a good option (for me at least) because he hasn't gotten reps there since his rookie year.

All that said, we could have a monster run blocking OL, and at best an average pass blocking OL. Or, it could be the train wreck we had at the beginning of last year. I think the biggest diference for game 1 is whether the coaching staff wants to push an identity down the Dolphin's throat, or if we start getting wrecked, do we switch to the spread ? I think we match up well against their run defense, but if we go spread we are going to shred that iffy secondary. We have Kearse, Baldwin and Lockett starting, and Willson can and will abuse Miami's LBers. Baldwin and Lockett are a real handful for a deep secondary, against Miami, I see them dominating.

I don't want to see Wilson running for his life, but he's not a stupid individual. He has to be prepared to either get rid of the ball quickly, or scramble away from pressure. He saw what we started out with last year, and he has to prepare for history to repeat itself. I think he'll be well prepared for week 1.