Things you are looking forward to in the preseason

kearly

Reaction score
For me:

Competition at RB. I do think that CJ Procise and Zac Brooks are talented, but to me they appear to be in mid-course from their transition from WR to RB. I think preseason is a critical time for both of them to establish what their long term NFL role will be. Collins is an improved version of Robert Turbin and despite being drafted fairly late, is probably the heavy favorite to be the 1st backup for Rawls. However, he'll have to earn that job over C-Mike this preseason. My favorite RB of the current backups is Tre Madden, due to his rare combination of size, power, lateral quickness and instincts. He seems to be competing for the Derrick Coleman vacancy, but I'll be hoping for him to get some real looks carrying the ball at some point.

Competition at WR. Has Seattle ever had a deeper WR group than this? Baldwin, Lockett, and Kearse are darlings by advanced stats. Richardson was ahead of schedule as a rookie before his injury and appears to suit the offense even more today than he did in 2014. Kenny Lawler has the talent of a starter in the NFL. Smith and Williams have at times looked like NFL talents. That's seven viable players competing for five or six spots. How many teams, if they lost their top two wideouts, would have a remaining trio as good as Kearse, Richardson and Lawler? Anybody?

Signs of positivity on the OL. Seattle does not need this group to be great. They only need this group to be survivors. Survive just well enough to allow Thomas Rawls to make you look good in the running game. Survive just enough to make Russell Wilson's quick passing make you look good in protection. What's a bit unique this year is the lack of positional battles. LT, LG, RG, and RT all seem to be set. It's only center where competition is expected (between Hunt and Britt). If we do see Sokoli this preseason, it will probably be at guard and not in a competition for those jobs, but as a trial balloon to assess his development.

Frank Clark in whatever role they have for him. I think highly of Clark's talent, but to my eyes he always seemed at his best when playing inside, so moving him to SAM/LEO feels sub-optimal to me. Or maybe it's a stroke of genius. The preseason will help clue us in.

Competition at SAM LB. I really liked the tools shown by Eric Pinkins last year, but he's got a lot to prove if he's going to beat out Mike Morgan for this job.

Tye Smith gained bulk this offseason. I really liked him out of college and thought he looked mostly good last preseason. If there is a young corner to watch closely it's Smith.

The new DTs. Mostly Quinton Jefferson and (if he gets looks) Brandin Bryant. We already know what Reed is, he is the safest pick Seattle has made in a very long time.

Brandon Browner's new role and his remaining effectiveness. I don't know if Browner has one more year left or not, but I think we'll have a pretty clear picture by the end of September.

Boykin at QB. At worst, he'll be another Terrell Pryor. That would still make him better than RJ Archer last year. At best, he could be a quality backup for years to come.

Seafan

Reaction score
I think you nailed them all.

For me it's the same every year, compete, compete, compete, all over the roster. I want to watch the young guys on special teams and see who will give themselves a chance to make the team (WRs, DBs, LBs).

The big draw for me this year will be Boykin He could make the 3rd and 4th quarters interesting to watch.

2_0_6

Reaction score
TE position. With Willson in a contract year, Jimmy coming off a major injury, and Vannett in the mix, there is some serious depth chart competing going on there.

Tical21

Reaction score
I disagree a bit with your assessment of Procise and think he runs high but has a good feel for the position already. Stoked to see him against LB's. Excited to watch them all compete for spots.

Smith vs Shead vs Simon. Does Browner get a shot?

Do we run some of the three man fronts that we ran when using Lawyer as a 3rd safety?

Does Vannett play himself into a prominent role?

Does anyone flash as an interior pass rusher?

Can Hunt win the job at center?

Do we continue to evolve the quicker passing game?

Ciara.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I really liked what I saw from Smith in the preseason last year. Hoping to see more.

Last year Clark was JJ Watt esque in the preseason. I hope that continues.

Also excited to watch Collins and Procise. Both are great playmaker.

And of course Ifedi. Hopefully he looks solid.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":kb76cwoa said:
I think you covered everything except long snapper.
I'm really hoping to not notice him. If we can get to the season without knowing his name, that would be fantastic.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
RB competition

Vannett

If Clemons still has it and if Browners new role pans out

If Lawler can stand out in a game, i've heard about good hands but want to see separation, making catches in a game.

Center competition

Own The West

Reaction score
I'm most looking forward to seeing how these on-paper stars look in pads.

I want to see if our interior OL can pickup the rush (Wilson's legs can negate most outside rushers).

I want to see if our interior DL can control or collapse the pocket.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
First two things: RBs and O-line.

I'm excited to see the various skill sets of the rookies and how they transition to the pro level. I'd love to see indications that the playbook will accommodate their unique skills in creative ways.

Preseason is a good time for unbridled optimism so I'm choosing not to worry about the o-line. I'm just looking forward to seeing who ups their game and how the group as a whole accepts the challenge.

In general, I'm really interested to see where those fringe-53 fall. We're getting used to our leftovers finding spots on other rosters and this year will probably follow suit.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I honestly like the pre-season period. Just to get to see the stars of tomorrow.

I'm really excited about this year's rookie group. Lawler could very well become a huge star, he's THE standout so far among the rookies and I'm really excited to see how he stacks up against top level competition. Prosise and Vannett as well, a versatile 3rd down back and a blocking TE were things that we missed last season and I can't wait to see all the new plays we're going to come up with these two guys. We definitely shouldn't forget the second year pros either. Guys like Frank Clark, Tye Smith and Mark Glowinski can really make a big impact this year and establish themselves as starters.

Basis4day

Reaction score
5 Starters on O-Line in Preseason Game 1 who are the same starters Week 1 of the regular season.

Hawks46

Reaction score
You pretty much covered everything other than how Vannett looks Kearly, but the OL thing is interesting. I think they might have been once bitten twice shy by doing the competition thing last year. It really hurt the continuity, and it looks like Cable is going with these guys through TC to see how they develop together.

I'm fascinated by how Browner will look. As he started to lose a step, I thought he'd make a great SS, but we already have Kam. I'm wondering if we see more Bandit packages this year, and how it will look.

I'm also watching the 3T dtackle position. Reed has looked good but he can't stay on the field. I'm also excited to see Jarran Reed and how good he can be.

I can't help but be curious how CMike develops, and how Prosise and Collins will look in preseason games.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to just looking forward to it.

Last year I didn't watch a minute of preseason, I just wasnt into it. Maybe Super Bowl loss hangover or something.

This year I'm already looking forward to watching the young guys battle it out for spots.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Really covered everything I'll be looking for already. In detail. And more specifically than I'd have thought to do. In particular for me, I'm quite interested in:

- the running backs competition

- the offensive line gelling

- the defensive line's ability to pass rush

Those are key elements to me that if positive, would signal a great season, and if negative, could predict more struggles than we'd hope for as Seahawks fans.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
My list, which is similar to others but in differing priority:

1. Seeing some real progress with the OLine, hopefully seeing Gilliam, Glowinski, and Sokoli each take a major step forward. Will be watching Ifedi closely to see if he has the stuff to develop into a quality OLineman.

2. hopefully seeing if one or 2 of the new DLinemen can improve the interior pass rush.

3. see where Frank Clark winds up

4. watching the battle royal for roster spots with the RBs, including seeing if the team has a FB

5. watch to see how they fit Browner into the D

6. watching the development of the backup CBs

7. watching the competition at WR for spots 4,5, &6

kf3339

Reaction score
The two by far most important areas for me are the lines.

Our O-Line needs to just play as an average line for us to be successful. That will require Cable to stop playing games and pick a line that can be cohesive and learn to play together early in the camp and/or preseason process. That also includes absolutely no Britt on that starting line. PERIOD.

Second, I really want to see how our new DT's look and if we can FINALLY get some legitimate push up the middle on a consistent basis. Whether that is Reed being taught how to pass rush, or Jefferson showing well early will be important in the preseason games. It also makes me want to see Clark on a more consistent basis playing on the line. Perhaps that means putting him in Bennett's spot when he moves inside. I don't now. But we just need to be able to collapse the pocket this season and make opposing Qb's really nervous. That would do wonders for our overall defense.

In addition I would like to see Vannett become our main overall TE, which I think will occur sooner than later. Last I would like to see our backup veteran LB'ers heavily challenged by our UDFA and make them re-earn their spots on the team. I think we have gotten somewhat weak at that position from a depth standpoint.