Anyone else remember this game?

Maulbert

Reaction score
[youtube]iSIWV89S44s[/youtube]

[youtube]PT7T5RGPaQ4[/youtube]

This is still one of my favorite Seahawks games of all time. We were 5-9, the Raiders were 11-3. They had blown us out 31-3 in Oakland that year, and were still in competition for the #1 seed with the Titans. I will never forget the elation-turned-gutcheck-turned-relief when with 2:40 to play and down 24-19, Ricky Watters bust through the line at our own 19 and looked like he was going to score the go ahead TD only to have Charles Woodson force a fumble at the Oakland 30 that was recovered by Marquez Pope at their 1. Fortunately, he slid into the end zone and it was ruled a safety, after which Jon Kitna led the offense down the field and threw a TD pass to rookie Darrell Jackson with 28 seconds left to put us up 27-24. We really tried to shoot ourselves in the foot after that, with a botched extra point, an out of bounds kickoff, and a personal foul to put the Raiders at our 45 with 19 seconds left. Fortunately, Willie Williams intercepted Rich Gannon to end the game. I just loved raining on the Raiders parade back then.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
One of the two games I attended that year at Husky Stadium. The whole thing was crazy. Looking forward to watching it tonight now, thanks for sharing!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The Holmgren 2 and 20 draw play... to perfection

Great find..

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Nice find.

I have to wonder...would that still be ruled a safety today?

Joygazm

Reaction score
For anyone wondering

47min mark second video

100% imo that is a touchback as much today as it was then. Also the guy who recovers the football is never touched.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3cfpzhk9 said:
Nice find.

I have to wonder...would that still be ruled a safety today?

oh definitely not. Should not have been ruled one at that time i imagine.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Could they not put hawks logos on the field for the game instead of the Huskies at the time? Looks weird

kearly

Reaction score
Did they ever change that rule? I remember there being a game against the Chiefs, maybe even during that same season, where a similar safety was called in Seattle's favor.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Yeah I remember that game because of the safety call. I thought it was a terrible call but obviusly didnt caee cause it helped Seattle.

RampagingMice

Reaction score
That was the first game I ever got to attend in Seattle, and all I remember is being in the Raiders section watching their fans throw punches at one another, in the rain, in a game they were leading.