Why Jarran Reed is the Steal of the 2016 NFL Draft (article)

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Was unsure why he dropped to to #49, but believe he was very good value at that pick.

He's going to make us all happy with how he can control the interior DLine. I'd bet he's also possibly a lot better as a pass rusher than he was given credit for being by some draft 'experts'.

kobebryant

Reaction score
jammerhawk":dx37366r said:
Was unsure why he dropped to to #49, but believe he was very good value at that pick.

He's going to make us all happy with how he can control the interior DLine. I'd bet he's also possibly a lot better as a pass rusher than he was given credit for being by some draft 'experts'.

Seahawks saw a market inefficiency and exploited it, with sub-packages so much the rage right now, DTs who are seen merely as run down players are devalued. Never mind the fact that the kid is an immovable run defender. 10 years ago they'd look at Reed, compare him to Casey Hampton (cornerstone piece of two championship teams), and take him in the top 20 picks. Seahawks, with the option to keep Reed/Rubin/Siliga fresh, are zigging and forcing opponents to either be a 1 dimensional passing team - or have to deal with 2nd and 7+ on a consistent basis.

I think there is a lot of untapped pass rusher in Reed. Alabama has such a deep rotation that Reed wasn't really given the opportunity, and Seattle coaches hand technique about as well as anyone outside of Dan Quinn.

As explosive and modern as Russ,Doug and Lockett allow the offense to be, the acquisitions of Reed/Ifedi/Vannett/Browner in his new role, indicate a desire to play some bloody old school ball.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
I'm liking "obviously the best run defender in the draft" and "every down brute force". That was a great article. Thanks for posting.

GO::HAWKS!!!

Krieg's list

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but this was a very poor article. In fact, it actually managed to dampen my enthusiasm over this pick.

The first half of the article can be summarized as "Jarran Reed is a steal because lots of people not actually drafting for NFL teams thought he was really good and he was mocked much higher than SEA selected him and I think he's a total stud." Which is obviously ridiculous reasoning... except, apparently, when it's what you want to hear. :roll:

It goes on to show a few clips of Reed doing nothing particularly impressive, holding his position against single blocks (with no push) and making a tackle when the play comes right at him. This in itself isn't as worrisome as the fact the author handpicked these clips, implying they are at the very least typical-- or even worse, exceptional-- plays for Reed.

The second half of the article suddenly tries to bolster the "steal of the draft" claim by asserting that DT is a critical, underrated part of the Seattle defense, and clips are provided from a game that Mebane missed against KC where Charles tore up the SEA defense. Of course, both clips are clearly Malcolm Smith's responsibility (Wagner was also out), and in fact the DTs got good playside push in the first clip.

By far the best part of the post were the 2 comments by "jacobstevens", who offers better analysis and much more realistic expectations for Reed's performance in the NFL.

I understand people wanting to get excited about anything Seahawks, but praising a deeply flawed article because it tells you what you want to hear is lazy and irresponsible. And then these same people freak out all over these boards when SEA struggles, because in their minds they had overhyped the level of talent on the Hawks and fail to understand how razor-thin the talent discrepancy between NFL teams actually is.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Krieg's list":ho63fw3v said:
I'm sorry, but this was a very poor article. In fact, it actually managed to dampen my enthusiasm over this pick.

The first half of the article can be summarized as "Jarran Reed is a steal because lots of people not actually drafting for NFL teams thought he was really good and he was mocked much higher than SEA selected him and I think he's a total stud." Which is obviously ridiculous reasoning... except, apparently, when it's what you want to hear. :roll:

It goes on to show a few clips of Reed doing nothing particularly impressive, holding his position against single blocks (with no push) and making a tackle when the play comes right at him. This in itself isn't as worrisome as the fact the author handpicked these clips, implying they are at the very least typical-- or even worse, exceptional-- plays for Reed.

The second half of the article suddenly tries to bolster the "steal of the draft" claim by asserting that DT is a critical, underrated part of the Seattle defense, and clips are provided from a game that Mebane missed against KC where Charles tore up the SEA defense. Of course, both clips are clearly Malcolm Smith's responsibility (Wagner was also out), and in fact the DTs got good playside push in the first clip.

By far the best part of the post were the 2 comments by "jacobstevens", who offers better analysis and much more realistic expectations for Reed's performance in the NFL.

I understand people wanting to get excited about anything Seahawks, but praising a deeply flawed article because it tells you what you want to hear is lazy and irresponsible. And then these same people freak out all over these boards when SEA struggles, because in their minds they had overhyped the level of talent on the Hawks and fail to understand how razor-thin the talent discrepancy between NFL teams actually is.

Does the very first clip not show him holding his ground against a double team the the RG and C and finishing the tackle?

That being said, this is an SB nation fanpost. It's not by one of the main contributors at Fieldgulls. It's also the first fanpost he ever drafted.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Krieg's list":28m2ujv1 said:

Jordan Hill, is that you!?

mrblitz

Reaction score
When a DT leads Alabama in tackles for 2 straight seasons, that's a big deal. great pick.

Krieg's list

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":229rf86o said:

:lol: :lol: Although if Hill is worried about one of the rookies, I suspect it's Jefferson.

Sorry if I came across as down on Reed. I really just didn't care for the article itself and thought it did a poor job of supporting its premise. Reed will probably be a solid player for us, but "steal of the draft" is a huge stretch regardless, based on the value of run-stuffing DTs alone. As Kearly has pointed out in regard to this pick, it's a buyer's market for FA run-stuffers, so using a mid-2nd round pick isn't a good moneyball move. The savings between a 2nd round rookie contract and a capable FA vet is relatively small. We all hope Reed will become a stud 3-down DT, but he hasn't really shown anything to make it seem likely at this point.

kf3339

Reaction score
Krieg's list":3p6r69au said:

Let me guess. You're a Ram, Cardinal or 49er fan trying to masquerade as a Hawk fan right now. Correct?

That must be the case since they are the only type of fans to make a post such as the one you came up with on this thread. So good job since that was indeed your goal! :sarcasm_off: :34853_doh:

Largent80

Reaction score
Reed is going to be awesome for years to come, we got the steal of the draft, especially after losing Mebane.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Krieg's list":3rfvissm said:

NFL teams did like him and JS said he basically ran to the podium to take him. Most teams are in dire need of a pass rush because its more valued and at a premium in the NFL right now. The Seahawks know if they can stop the run and run the ball they win, its been their formula under the Carroll era. They just got the best run stopper in the class. It was a steal for them and I believe John when he said he almost took him in the first.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
You can't say anything definitive without the benefit of hindsight a few years down the line, but right now IMO Reed is a great player and great pick, and the article rightly notes that, even better, he's at a position of need for the Seahawks.

Basically, he's a homerun pick for the team. They must have beene ecstatic he was there.

That said, I don't think he's likely to be the "steal" of the draft, nor do I think he really dropped.

Every year great interior run stuffers "drop" in the draft. If it's happening year in and year out are they really dropping?

It's like how six or seven years ago teams that were picking fullbacks were getting "amazing value" because fullbacks kept "suspiciously" dropping in the draft.

Such is the problem with relying on non-team specific rankings in predicting where players will go. Reed can be an exceptional player, but if the majority of teams are playing two-thirds of their snaps in nickle (which they are) you've got a much smaller pool of teams for which his abilities map onto what they're doing.

Basically, Reed, like a guard who only excels in a ZBS, is going to drop because most teams aren't in the market for the areas in which he excels. For the limited amount they'd use him they can get better value at inferior play in the later rounds and at the end of the FA market. There are damn good interiror run defenders who are still FAs and probably will be out of the league.

If Reed ends up being a more two-dimensional player a la Donald or McCoy then he's the steal of the draft, but there's a reason that those guys went at the top of the first (3rd and 13th overall) and Reed didn't.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Steal is an entirely subjective term as well, hard to quantify.

If he happens to be every bit as good as Brandon Mebane was for just as long as Mebane was, then I think it would be fair to call it a steal. Mebane was a 3rd rounder, who, without looking it up, is one of the top 30 players from the class of 07, whom in retrospect would have proven to be worth the 1st rounder traded for Deion Branch - so steal. Reed could end up having an equally impressive career, and being a top 25-30 player in this class given bust rate in the 1st round and his relatively low floor.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Krieg's list":jyehw3pj said:
Mistashoesta":jyehw3pj said:

:lol: :lol: Although if Hill is worried about one of the rookies, I suspect it's Jefferson.

Sorry if I came across as down on Reed. I really just didn't care for the article itself and thought it did a poor job of supporting its premise. Reed will probably be a solid player for us, but "steal of the draft" is a huge stretch regardless, based on the value of run-stuffing DTs alone. As Kearly has pointed out in regard to this pick, it's a buyer's market for FA run-stuffers, so using a mid-2nd round pick isn't a good moneyball move. The savings between a 2nd round rookie contract and a capable FA vet is relatively small. We all hope Reed will become a stud 3-down DT, but he hasn't really shown anything to make it seem likely at this point.

It's fine that you don't like the blog post. But i wouldn't let a fan's first SB nation fan post temper any feelings towards a player. This was literally the first thing he ever submitted to FG and he is simply a fan who voluntarily submitted it to the site himself. He's not a regular contributor.

Wouldn't shock me if he was a member of .net.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Reed is like any other draftee, we'll need a couple of seasons in order to truly know his play. I am optimistic for him and would be surprised if he under performed expectations. But we really won't know. He may have a tremendous rookie season but he'll have to prove it the following season for us to be sure he is what we think he is.

Krieg's list

Reaction score
kobebryant":cuzqulpp said:
Steal is an entirely subjective term as well, hard to quantify.

While this is true, would it be fair to require that "the steal of the 2016 draft" be more valuable than any player selected after him? Under this reasonable criterion, it's quite likely that Reed doesn't even end up being the steal of the Seahawks 2016 draft, let alone of the entire NFL draft.

To be clear, I'm frustrated with the hyperbole, not the actual player.

HawkerD

Reaction score
The Hype surrounding Jarren Reed is similar to what was said last year about Frank Clark. While Frank had a good preseason and a descent year, if he was a 1st round pick like everyone "thought" he should be we would have been very disappointed.

As fans we can't help ourselves to love these guys but we never know how things will pan out. My thoughts were in the same vein as Kriegs List; that those clips weren't all that impressive especially because I have no idea who it was he was going up against. On Sunday the guy across from you is a beast when compared to the typical Saturday player. The proof will soon be at hand one way or the other

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":3n5zuyxq said:
I'm liking "obviously the best run defender in the draft" and "every down brute force". That was a great article. Thanks for posting.

GO::HAWKS!!!

This is my take as well, and too, I'm anxious to see how adept he will be at "Hand Fighting", and who better to learn from than Michael Bennett.
I'm seeing where some folks around here are tempering their enthusiasm for this pick, but when the Seahawks let Mebane walk, Reed was a 'No Brainer Pick', and for the War Room to be enthusiastic about this pick in particular, I feel that their enthusiasm trumps any of the negativity that's being posted here......To each his own.