LOB might be even better than it was in the superbowl run

RussB

Reaction score
Serously, this secondary is STACKED. Even sherman said they might be better than when they won it all not that long ago, he could be right.

Just look at the CB core

Sherman
Lane
Shead
Burley
Tye Smith
Tharold Simon
Browner
Jean Baptiste

STACKED , they can switch guys around for any matchup they want, browner can come in the box and cover TE's and also stop the run. Shead and lane are versatile and can play in the slot or outside and then theres sherman who can shut anyone down , guys like tye smith and burley arent scrubs either.

Kam and earl still back there doing what they do , kam also has a solid backup with kelsie mccray.

Then theres the d line , jarran reed should be a beast, frank clark can ball, avril and benett are ballers. This team is loaded i think they will take back the NFC crown

vin.couve12

Reaction score
McCray was also the backup FS the other day with ET being out. I would imagine that Shead will still get some reps at both safety spots at some point as well. I'm hoping Powell picks up enough to hold a spot as the 4th roster safety though. Terrell has played some corner and FS, but never really covered that well when he got his shots on the field. Powell is a bigger safety, but plays more like a FS. I heard that he's learning SS in OTAs, but that probably wont stick once the pads go on.

Sent from Tapatalk

vin.couve12

Reaction score
McCray was also one of the guys who looked like he did some physical self molding in the offseason. Not unlike Tye Smith.

Sent from Tapatalk

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Another thought...Burley has his work cut out for him in trying to make the roster. My guess is that injury will settle the roster a bit, as bad as that sounds. Dont like it, but it is what it is.

Sent from Tapatalk

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I don't know if they'll be better than 2013, but they will be a whole bunch better than last year for sure.

Lithium

Reaction score
Lane is solid, Burley and Shead are okay but..

Simon, Jean Baptiste, Smith and McCray havent done anything. I wouldnt say stacked

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Lithium":ykhgwrxp said:

Simon, Jean Baptiste, Smith and McCray havent done anything. I wouldnt say stacked
Mccray played some snaps in the ravens game and covered pretty well from what i saw. Im just saying there is alot of depth in the secondary, WAY more than last year for example. Burley, shead, lane can all start and hold it down on the field

LolaRox

Reaction score
I don't know if they'll be better, 2013 was quite special. Browner isn't as good as he was in 2013 and I'd take Maxwell and Thurmond over any of the other CB listed.

However, this year's secondary is much better than last year if for no other reason then being healthy and present. Last year was rough for the secondary but they were still able to pull it together. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what this group can do this year.

Lithium":1vcowgv8 said:

Kelcie started a few games after Kam hurt his butt bone and I think he played well.

DHawk

Reaction score
They have a chance to be amazing. A lot of it will depend on what kind of pressure we can get though, and that's what I worry about.

Largent80

Reaction score
Simon hasn't done doodly squat in how many years of chances? I'm not that optimistic. They really need to steer clear of the injuries.

seabowl

Reaction score
Depends on the pass rush. Strong rush means more mistakes made by the QB hence int's , pass breakups and incompletes.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
seabowl":2k78n6cv said:
Depends on the pass rush. Strong rush means more mistakes made by the QB hence int's , pass breakups and incompletes.
Jarran Reed should bring some pressure up the middle , mebane just couldnt last year. Reed could have a great rookie season with like 10 sacks or more.

Ruminator

Reaction score
After watching what the front office has done during the offseason and draft, I've been quite convinced that the 2016 season is going to be some of the most fun we've ever had as Seahawk fans. And it all starts in less than two months. Already feeling it!

seabowl

Reaction score
RussB":su7iy2qh said:
seabowl":su7iy2qh said:
Jarran Reed should bring some pressure up the middle , mebane just couldnt last year. Reed could have a great rookie season with like 10 sacks or more.

If you saw him in college you'd know that he has very limited pass rush ability. He's no Mebane in that regard.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
seabowl":1l2259l8 said:
RussB":1l2259l8 said:
seabowl":1l2259l8 said:

If you saw him in college you'd know that he has very limited pass rush ability. He's no Mebane in that regard.
He was a big part of a championship D line. Mebane is past his best and reed is a young hungry rookie who has talent

hawker84

Reaction score
As others have stated, health we be a huge factor in determining the success of the LOB. I think we're finally solid again with the CB and safety depth, but their success will be on the heels of the DLine play. Must get more pressure on QB's this year. I think with the addition of Reed on the line, we will start to see that interior push again, with Bennett and Avril mopping up QB's on the outside... more pressure means more rushed throws and bad timing. I think this could be another historic year in terms of defensive standings in the league.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
I absolutely believe this to be true. Imagine this team now, with Wilson slinging it more and that defense!!! I know some guys are down on Browner but I just think Pete's system is right for him! I love the hard hitting intimidation style he can bring! What worries me is if Earl has gotten the fire back? Injured or not last year, he publicly questioned his dedication still to the game! Let's hear Sherman hoot like he use to, let's see Earl and Kam back to the "heat seeking missle" mode, and let's see Browner bring the Boom again! Whoooo, I'm stoked for what just might be this season!!! Go Hawks!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I don't we'll ever come close to the 2013 defensive unit, and that's at all positions.

Our secondary can be pretty good though, especially if Simon doesn't break in half again.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Anyone remember Marcus Tubbs?

He had one healthy year in 2005 and in that year Lofa Tatupu was a rookie who came onto the scene along with Leroy Hill and looked like one of the best LB combo's in the league but unfortunately that was Lofa and Hill's best year. You ever wonder why?

Behind Justin Smith the 9ers looked like a linebacker factory and Aldumb was a maniac on pace for the HOF. Willis off the field changed the scenery a little.

The big question mark for me is not how good are our CB's waiting in the wing or can Browner be as good as before. The question for me is can Reed really be that guy we all hope he can?

If Reed is as dominate at anchoring the middle as we have been led to believe we won't hear his name, we will hear everyone else's. We will actually see why the FO values Wright and Wagner the way they do and our secondary will be able to focus on ball hawking.

I don't think Reed will have a single sack and I'm fine with that. If he does what we believe he was brought in to do, he will make every aspect of our defense better.

Eating up space to keep the opponents O-lineman out of our secondary, closing gaps for running backs and opening gaps for our LB's and pass rushers, collapsing the pocket to prevent the QB from stepping up to avoid pass rushers as well as planting feet to throw and drawing double teams to put our 3 tech in one on one situations all effect how much time the opponents QB has to process and throw the ball.

Can our secondary be as good as it was in 2013? Maybe but they may not have to be if our front 7 are as disruptive as some other teams like the Rams. Imagine though if we could both create that havoc from the front 7 while our secondary was as good as they were in 2013. That's a scary thought for opponents.