Must Read Re: Jarran Reed

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/05/nfl-draft-jarran-reed-alabama

I don't know if anyone posted this during or somewhat after the circus that was the draft.

But if you haven't read this article yet, you should, because Jarran Reed is a Boss. Or rather embodies the consummate professional very well.

Mebane will always be remembered but I'm over his departure knowing that a football player like Reed is Bane' s replacement.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Good find.
The guy seems to be opened minded when he makes a bad play and looks like he always wants to be better.
Both good things! :2thumbs:

Overseasfan

Reaction score
From what I've seen from him so far he's laid back and confident so I didn't expect him to be so knowledgable about his mistakes. He's strong, technical and smart. Might very well become a huge star for us.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
That running back he helps stop looks familiar...

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Largent80":374djn0t said:
Man, he doesn't get pushed back at all, he's going to be a force for us.

It will be different against pro level talent. Although I am optimistic as well I am as always with rooks wait and see.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
What I say next will be crazy when I say it but I think Reed could be my most favorite draft pick (non-proven) of the PCJS era.

Non-proven as in before they step on the field. Like I'm a believer in his hype.

It's awesome that he's so football savvy from a big time school with winning culture but what's more amazing in it all, he was a big time player for an elite defense.

He may never show up as a three down pass rush threat but he's highly capable of maintaining his assignment based gap integrity, contain, while taking on multiple blockers and perhaps pushing the pocket enough where QBs can't just step up to avoid outside rush. He can be valuable in limited action but

As a run defender, Reed has the potential to be elite. The LBs are going to love this guy because More often than not he's always in the right place, doing the right things. Also, he understands his job on a professional level and then plays with passion and integrity to take his play up a notch.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2upb4fas said:
What I say next will be crazy when I say it but I think Reed could be my most favorite draft pick (non-proven) of the PCJS era.

Non-proven as in before they step on the field. Like I'm a believer in his hype.

It's awesome that he's so football savvy from a big time school with winning culture but what's more amazing in it all, he was a big time player for an elite defense.

He may never show up as a three down pass rush threat but he's highly capable of maintaining his assignment based gap integrity, contain, while taking on multiple blockers and perhaps pushing the pocket enough where QBs can't just step up to avoid outside rush. He can be valuable in limited action but

As a run defender, Reed has the potential to be elite. The LBs are going to love this guy because More often than not he's always in the right place, doing the right things. Also, he understands his job on a professional level and then plays with passion and integrity to take his play up a notch.

I am very excited for the pick. The role he is assumed to be playing doesn't show up on the stat sheet so my only hope is that fans know how to view his contributions (Run Stuffing DT who takes on Doubleteams).

Now if it turns out he has some pass rush in him from the DT spot... :drool:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":35aos64a said:
Largent80":35aos64a said:
Man, he doesn't get pushed back at all, he's going to be a force for us.

It will be different against pro level talent. Although I am optimistic as well I am as always with rooks wait and see.

Good approach, IMO.

It's definitely a role on the defense for which players seem to improve with age. At the NFL level it takes a functional level of strength that most kids don't have, and a true mastery of technique that gets lost in all the bodies shoving into each other.

People I guess can come in and excel right away, but if he doesn't, I absolutely wouldn't give up on him until a few years down the line. Another reason these guys fall in the draft is that once you've got the position down you can play the role into your mid-30s, and these guys usualy don't even really start to excel at the position until their lmid to late 20s.

Not saying AT ALL that this will be the case for Reed, but if it is, it shouldn't be a knock on him IMO, as it's pretty typical even for the best ones.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
If he can bring it to the pros, his relentless-to-the-qb drive would distract and rush qbs into making questionable throws into LOB land.