NFC West Q&A: Is Russell Wilson a top-tier quarterback?

Maulbert

Reaction score
Completely missed this yesterday. While I don't agree with all the analysis, I have to laugh at what Paul Gutierrez wrote:

How do the Niners view Wilson? Think Pedro Martinez when he was with the Boston Red Sox and he was talking about the New York Yankees. The Bronx Bombers, he said, were his daddy. Same thing here ... kinda. Wilson has won seven of his past eight games against the 49ers, including five straight and the NFC title game in January 2014. The rebuilding 49ers -- whose three straight trips to the conference championship and the debate on whether a team would rather have Wilson and Colin Kaepernick seem an eternity ago now -- cannot afford to look beyond Wilson at other quarterbacks in the league. Not Tom Brady. Not Aaron Rodgers. Not Cam Newton. Not with the ownage Wilson has on them at the moment. In eight regular-season meetings, Wilson is 6-2 against the Niners with a passer rating of 93.7. Interestingly enough, that's the same career rating he has against the other two NFC West teams, even if his 1,533 passing yards against the 49ers are fewer than he has thrown for against the Rams (1,813) and Cardinals (1,631). His 12 touchdown passes and seven interceptions against the Niners are relatively pedestrian, but his ability to extend plays as a modern-day, scrambling Fran Tarkenton is what drives the Niners nuts, even as he has averaged less than 4 yards per rushing attempt against them. The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.

http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-sea...t-qa-is-russell-wilson-a-top-tier-quarterback

Laloosh

Reaction score
Niner fans must love this guy. Holy shit!

chris98251

Reaction score
Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.

This is bill board material, and I am not talking outside of Fife but right ion the middle of Silicon Valley and the exit going into the stadium.

Sac

Reaction score
chris98251":22ptct8v said:

This is bill board material, and I am not talking outside of Fife but right ion the middle of Silicon Valley and the exit going into the stadium.
Let them put it on a billboard. Ain't shit they can do about it.

Tical21

Reaction score
Sac":10ncwdgl said:
chris98251":10ncwdgl said:

I think he was saying a Seahawks supporter should erect it.

Sac

Reaction score
Tical21":2a8cdxly said:
Sac":2a8cdxly said:
chris98251":2a8cdxly said:

I think he was saying a Seahawks supporter should erect it.
That is also acceptable.

NINEster

Reaction score
That's funny.....he's copying one of the members here who wrote that same exact thing in the DeForest Buckner thread....it's almost word for word, go look it up.

Is Wilson the reason the 49ers have lost 4 straight to the Seahawks? No.

Not being able to score more than 3 points in Levi's Stadium two years in a row is a serious problem. I think any decent NFL QB can win those games.

In Seattle, 2014, Wilson didn't win that game...Seattle defense did. Wilson nearly put his team in a 10-0 deficit at halftime thanks to his interception.

Last year in Seattle apparently Rawls did enough work to win the game for them.

In fact up until last season, the 49ers always had enough defense to control Wilson. Last year for the first time they didn't.

49er offense has been a no show for quite a long time against the Hawks. What's the stat that a Harbaugh led team has never put more than 19 points of offense against Pete Carroll? Even Mike Singletary managed to do more than that.

So in the Harbaugh aftermath.......that part of his resume will always be the thorn in the side of Niner fans. Yeah overall Harbaugh was great, but that part seems inexcusable.

Wilson has never beaten a Harbaugh led team in Candlestick Park. If he did, I'm probably not writing a response in this thread.

And I'll spare you the analysis, but Kap did way more to put the 49ers on his back than Wilson did for the Hawks in 2013 NFC Championship game. His game managing was not quite as good as Wilson (except that Aldon Smith strip sack fumble), but those passing/rushing stat lines reversed and the 49ers win very comfortably.

Wilson has always been very frustrating in tight games......the inconsistent passing for 3 quarters then a few "Wilson" type plays. But that's not unique to SF.....Green Bay, New England, lots of teams have had to deal with it.

Seahawks defense has owned the 49ers offense -- just hand off the various DCs...Bradley, Quinn, Richard as honorary owners of the 49ers.

Not Wilson.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
When you have a defensive-minded head coach and a revolving door of defensive coordinators, yet a consistently excellent defense, it's not necessarily the DC who deserves all the credit. This defense is Carroll's.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
NINEster":1fv28hab said:
That's funny.....he's copying one of the members here who wrote that same exact thing in the DeForest Buckner thread....it's almost word for word, go look it up.

Not being able to score more than 3 points in Levi's Stadium two years in a row is a serious problem. I think any decent NFL QB can win those games.

In Seattle, 2014, Wilson didn't win that game...Seattle defense did. Wilson nearly put his team in a 10-0 deficit at halftime thanks to his interception.

In fact up until last season, the 49ers always had enough defense to control Wilson. Last year for the first time they didn't.

49er offense has been a no show for quite a long time against the Hawks. What's the stat that a Harbaugh led team has never put more than 19 points of offense against Pete Carroll? Even Mike Singletary managed to do more than that.

So in the Harbaugh aftermath.......that part of his resume will always be the thorn in the side of Niner fans. Yeah overall Harbaugh was great, but that part seems inexcusable.

Wilson has never beaten a Harbaugh led team in Candlestick Park. If he did, I'm probably not writing a response in this thread.

And I'll spare you the analysis, but Kap did way more to put the 49ers on his back than Wilson did for the Hawks in 2013 NFC Championship game. His game managing was not quite as good as Wilson (except that Aldon Smith strip sack fumble), but those passing/rushing stat lines reversed and the 49ers win very comfortably.

Wilson has always been very frustrating in tight games......the inconsistent passing for 3 quarters then a few "Wilson" type plays. But that's not unique to SF.....Green Bay, New England, lots of teams have had to deal with it.

Seahawks defense has owned the 49ers offense -- just hand off the various DCs...Bradley, Quinn, Richard as honorary owners of the 49ers.

Not Wilson.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL..... Hahahahahahahaha!!!

Someone's Butthurt.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Russell Wilson... Four years... More wins against the Niners than the 2015 Niners had wins.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Did the AZ beat writer's schpiel strike anyone else as passive aggressive? The whole "you're not elite until you throw 50 passes a game" perspective is so silly and tiring. Fantasy Football has made football fans and journalists more dumb.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
nanomoz":1uwvnjqc said:
Did the AZ beat writer's schpiel strike anyone else as passive aggressive? The whole "you're not elite until you throw 50 passes a game" perspective is so silly and tiring. Fantasy Football has made football fans and journalists more dumb.

Only if they take it seriously. I play FF to give my buddies shit, and mostly draft 'Hawk players. My bye weeks are brutal :lol:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
NINEster":t1e97av0 said:

Not Wilson.
Exactly the post I expected from at least one Santa Clara fan and I could've done it myself nearly word for word. Surprised it took 3 days to see it here. Thanks for not letting me down though. Oh, and when Wilson is like 15-3 against the niners, it'll still be the defense and running game won't it? It's not interconnected is it?

Giant YAWN.....