What’s up with the total OL Overhaul?

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
As it currently stands, (with possible changes after the pre-season), it looks like the starting OL will likely be:

OLT-Gilliam, 6-5, 315
OLG-Glowinski, 6-4, 310
OC-Britt, 6-6, 315
ORG-Ifedi, 6-5, 325
ORT-Webb, 6-7, 331

That starting OL lineup (at Seahawks roster listed sizes) would total:
1596 lbs. and an average size of 6‘-5.4“ and 319.2-lbs

Backups may very well include:
OLG-Odhiambo, 6-4, 315
ORT-Schwenke, 6-4, 315 (a dark horse, but they have kept him around! Gilliam 2.0?)
OLT-Sowell, 6-7, 309
ORT-Poole, 6-5, 300
OC-Lewis, 6-1, 305

Obviously the Seahawks will likely have one of the largest starting OL’s in the league. As run blockers that group should be very good to exceptional. --IF-- coach Cable can coach them up to even being near average pass blockers, LOOK OUT. The Seahawks have obviously put together this lineup based on size, strength and length with the hope that the OL will function at a better level than previous editions. Smaller and quicker may have it’s place on some OL’s, but pure size, power and length may be more than an equalizer. I sure hope they are on the right track. Thoughts?

:3-1:

Basis4day

Reaction score
chet380":3b9u37bx said:
What is the great faith bestowed on Gilliam based on?

Generally summary from people who know more about this stuff than I (Rob Staton for instance).

He stacks up well athletically against talented Tackles around the league. The team has made no secret that they are high on his potential. He was a liability against power rush at RT, but did very well against speed rush. He is expected to face more speed rush at LT.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
chet380":rkuz96iz said:

He really grew a lot during the season. At first when the entire O-line was in disarray he played poorly, which lead to people not liking him as a player. During mid-season he became average though and in the later phases of the season he was actually one of the league's better tackles. His move to LT might very well be a positive one for him as he's great against speed rush and he'll face that more often on the left side.

It's not like he's a confirmed star for us but the upside is definitely there and lots of people, including me, are positive about him because of it.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
What metic are you basing your assessment of him being one of the better tackles in the league? No disrespect intended, just curious

Hawks46

Reaction score
Basis4day":gfrhk1h3 said:
chet380":gfrhk1h3 said:

Generally summary from people who know more about this stuff than I (Rob Staton for instance).

He stacks up well athletically against talented Tackles around the league. The team has made no secret that they are high on his potential. He was a liability against power rush at RT, but did very well against speed rush. He is expected to face more speed rush at LT.

He is also following a similar career arc to Jason Peters, the former All Pro LT that played for Philly. Peters started out on Buffalo's practice squad, then I think he moved somewhere else, didn't stick, came back to Buffalo and became very good. Then he got his money in Philly. Peters came out of college a TE and had to work to gain weight.

Their athletic profiles are almost identical, with Gilliam actually having less body fat and weighing about 10 lbs less. Does Gilliam have proven production at LT ? No, but the framework is there and if you watched his progression at RT last year, you could see vast improvement, which is to be expected in his first year starting.

I noticed the Hawks went athletic, long and large on the OL, but what strikes me this draft was that they pretty much did away with the athletic DL conversions, and went with athletic OL guys who have played the position in college, but were either injury prone or a bit raw, thus the value at the draft position.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Hawks46":vnoqryng said:
Basis4day":vnoqryng said:
chet380":vnoqryng said:

He is also following a similar career arc to Jason Peters, the former All Pro LT that played for Philly. Peters started out on Buffalo's practice squad, then I think he moved somewhere else, didn't stick, came back to Buffalo and became very good. Then he got his money in Philly. Peters came out of college a TE and had to work to gain weight.

Their athletic profiles are almost identical, with Gilliam actually having less body fat and weighing about 10 lbs less. Does Gilliam have proven production at LT ? No, but the framework is there and if you watched his progression at RT last year, you could see vast improvement, which is to be expected in his first year starting.

I noticed the Hawks went athletic, long and large on the OL, but what strikes me this draft was that they pretty much did away with the athletic DL conversions, and went with athletic OL guys who have played the position in college, but were either injury prone or a bit raw, thus the value at the draft position.

Duane Brown too - who also was a TE in college for a bit.

I think the optimism in Gilliam comes from his top notch athleticism, career arc to this point (college TE, college tackle, backup tackle, starting tackle) - it suggests that he is a hard worker and adept at learning. It's more of an athlete's game at LT and mauler's game at RT - which should suit GG well.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Faith in Gilliam is 1).

He gradually transformed himself into a solid RT that was average in Pass Pro but among the best in Run Blocking in the 2nd half.

2) Considering that improvement and the fact his natural position might be at LT, where he's had more training at, and where his overall athleticism and length matches up better against speed rushers vs bull rushers. Although reports on Gilliam is that hes bigger and stronger and more prepared to play heavier than he was coming in a year ago.

3) He has an incredible work ethic that in such a short time took him from 3rd year Collegiate TE to NFL starter in about 2-3 years. Now entering his 3rd season as a Pro he has a great opportunity to establish himself at a premium position and earn money he probably never dreamed of making in his lifetime if he puts in the work that is.

The way I see it Gilliam has all the athletic tools and the drive to be successful. What he lacks is mentally but even so that is improving everyday. What it comes down to is grit and developing that nasty demeanor to be a dominant force.

Projecting Gilliam's floor I don't feel he'll be worst than Bailey-McQuistan-Locklear-Injured Okung that has filled the position in past years and Gilliam's ceiling could be as high as as Jason Peters, one day.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
chet380":wp15b8j3 said:

1. Pete kept him on the active roster in 2014 despite it being his first transition year.
2. His second year he was locked in at RT. Pete never appeared to waver on this. To the point where he took Britt and moved him inside.
3. His ability to handle speed rushers is quite good. Strength against power rush was still developing and still is.
4. Development curve. He was whispered about as being the successor plan to Okung even last year. As a development prospect, he's made significant and steady strides each year and even within individual seasons.

In all, the faith is rooted in the fact that Pete has had faith in him. And that he's consistently improved his game and risen to challenges thus far. From the athletic 'what can he do' perspective -- he's actually very likely to be better cast as a LT than he was as a RT. His natural ability favors the kinds of matchups he will largely face on the left side better than on the right.

I expect that if he improves exactly as he's done in 2014 and 2015 -- then he should find significant success this year. I see him handling the likes of Chandler Jones and Robert Quinn very well. The 250-280 lb speed ends are the kinds of players he should really perform well against based on his success against those kinds of players last year.

chris98251

Reaction score
Heard that Ole Walter Jones was hired to help with the Rookies, I have to wonder if he may have a bit of help elsewhere also.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Gilliam was a utility TE and only moved to LT during his final collegiate season at Penn State. He outperformed what could have been expected of him as an undersized first-time starter at RT. Having gained more weight and gotten stronger, while maintaining his athleticism, you have to expect his trajectory of development to be on the rise. Injuries are a concern, of course. He had a number of them in college and missed OTAs after a minor surgery to remove a cyst in his knee.

kearly

Reaction score
Fans love potential and Gilliam has plenty of that. In terms of performance his 2015 performance was replacement level, but as the circumstances around him improved his performance bordered on competency. So long as Russell gets the ball out quick and stays in rhythm, there is reason to hope that the scheme can make our o line look decent. But in terms of Gilliam developing into a legit star, that much is TBD.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Is there any hope at all for Hunt? After the draft there was all this talk about how great he was at making line calls. I also heard it said that he was very accurate with his shot gun snaps.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Overseasfan":3u1s6dgc said:
chet380":3u1s6dgc said:

He really grew a lot during the season. At first when the entire O-line was in disarray he played poorly, which lead to people not liking him as a player. During mid-season he became average though and in the later phases of the season he was actually one of the league's better tackles. His move to LT might very well be a positive one for him as he's great against speed rush and he'll face that more often on the left side.

It's not like he's a confirmed star for us but the upside is definitely there and lots of people, including me, are positive about him because of it.

The change in offensive philosophy also helped. As long as PC stuck with the run-first, deep-play approach and left his offensive linemen with maximum protection responsibilities, Gilliam (and every other OL) struggled. Once PC finally swallowed his pride and switched to the quick-timing offense that our personnel situation favored, Gilliam got some breathing room, and apparently some confidence, because he reacted well to the situation.

King Dog

Reaction score
brimsalabim":27us1il0 said:
Is there any hope at all for Hunt? After the draft there was all this talk about how great he was at making line calls. I also heard it said that he was very accurate with his shot gun snaps.
My best guess is Britt washes out by game 5 and Hunt starts for the next 4 years.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
The reason for optimism on Gilliam is quite simple.

Upon review of his 2015 performance he was very rarely beaten by speed. In terms of a pure speed rush he handles it generally superbly. Finding an offensive tackle with the athleticism, foot speed and lateral mobility is the hardest part. He can match up against the league's best speed DE's. Tom Cable even suggested there's only one edge rusher in the NFL that can beat Gilliam with a speed rush.

Where he struggled was vs power or when DE's get into his frame. The key thing here is you can't teach foot speed or the level of athleticism Gilliam possesses. You can get stronger and you can improve hand technique.

Gilliam already looks significantly bigger in the upper body based on photo's he's posted on social media. Hopefully with an extra year in the system and with further coaching he can also work on some of his technical flaws. If he makes improvements here he could be an exceptional left tackle.