Will the current version of the O-Line last?

Willyeye

Reaction score
It appears the current version is: Gilliam- Glow- Britt- Ifedi- Webb

Here are my thoughts:

I think Gilliam will step up this season and become an average LT. He did okay late in the season at RT, and I think he’s a better fit at LT. He still has a huge ceiling left, and I believe by 2017 he will likely be a Top 10 LT.

Glow was one of my guys since way before the 2015 draft. I thought they should have yanked Britt last year and let Glow start at LG, or even switch Sweezy to LG and let Glow play RG. I assume that spending a year with the coaches makes him even more ready, and the move to LG this year shouldn’t be a problem for him. If Britt doesn’t make it at Center and they move Britt back to starting LG, I’m going to be livid.

Britt makes me worried. My gut tells me that if he couldn’t play RT or LG worth a darn, playing Center will be way over his head. Just as before, he still has to block, but now he has to also call plays and snap the darn ball…it could get ugly. But they seem committed to it, so I guess there’s still a chance that he finally shows up. I personally would keep his leash really short and be ready to replace him (actually, if it were up to me, he’d be a swing backup already).

Lewis is tough to figure out. My guess is that they consider him to have a low ceiling and he’s already maxed out. I sensed that they thought Nowak had a higher ceiling than Lewis, and that’s why they started him in Week 1 last year. To be fair, I don’t think Nowak was all that bad last year as compared to Lewis. I think Nowak played against all of the tough teams, and Lewis played through the easy part of the schedule…of course there was also the fact that Russell seemed to be on fire and they were using "quick release" plays more frequently. We’ll never know, but it’s possible that, had Nowak stayed on, he may have done even better than Lewis in the second half of the season. I never really considered Lewis some kind of miracle cure. I believe that Cable is not really sold on Lewis' play calling. My gut tells me they won’t start Lewis this year unless Britt fails at Center in TC or the preseason, or unless both Britt and Hunt are injured.

Ifedi is straight-forward for me. He will be the starting RG, and I think he will stay there the entire season and be at least average. The only caveats would be if injuries of other linemen cause him to be moved around, or perhaps if, Webb fails, I could see Ifedi being moved to RT. If Webb were to fail at RT, I could see the line look like this: Gilliam- Britt, Webb or Odhiambo- Hunt or Lewis- Glow- Ifedi.

Webb is an unknown. I have no clue how he might perform. He’s made some changes in his life and he’s playing on a new team for a decent salary. He could turn out to be an above-average RT, or as I said above, he could even fail. A complete unknown. If he does even an average job, the rest of the line could actually look pretty decent.

I think Sowell will be a competent backup. Not enough recent information to evaluate him. He could even surprise us.

Odhiambo could be another surprise. If he gets a shot due to an injury or another guy’s poor performance, he could be a starting Guard sooner than anybody expected.

I don’t have a lot of faith in Pericak at this point. Too much of an unknown.

Hunt…as I said above, if Britt or Lewis fail, which is a definite possibility, Hunt gets a shot at some point.

Poole is on his last leg. We don’t know if he’ll gain 25 pounds in the current 5-week vacation he’s in. He’s another unknown. I wouldn’t bet the farm on him, at least not just yet.

Sokoli…hmmmm…they’ve invested so much time in him that I can’t see them giving up quite yet. Perhaps he will surprise.

If Britt doesn’t make starting Center for Week 1, I think Lewis will get the nod and Hunt will move up the depth chart to #2 Center.

So here is my best guess at Week 1’s starting O-Line and backups:

Starters- Gilliam, Glow, Lewis, Ifedi, Webb

Backups- Sowell, Odhiambo, Hunt, Britt, Poole
OR Sowell, Odhiambo, Hunt, Sokoli, Britt

Practice Squad- Poole or Sokoli…whichever player doesn’t get the 10th O-Line spot; Pericak, Schwenke or Fant…one of these guys will make PS…not sure if Pericak or Schwenke still qualify.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
People need to get a grip about Britt. He's not as terrible as you think. Say what you will he's starting nearly all the games in his NFL career. That says something. According to Cable- he was solid at RT in his rookie year, Last year according to Cable he was less consistent. I have a feeling he'll be just fine at Center.

Britt reminds me of Unger, in that Unger played 2 years at guard (his 2nd was cut short because of injury), and there were people all over this board talking about how much Unger sucked, that since he wasn't a great guard that somehow meant something concerning his prospects at Center.

I hope Britt wins the job, I think he'd be an upgrade over Lewis and would bring more length to the discussion. It should be interesting to see how it all sorts out.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
jlwaters1":s7vzl2q0 said:
People need to get a grip about Britt. He's not as terrible as you think.

True - he arguably could be a lot worse than we think.

Largent80

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":219rhy8h said:
jlwaters1":219rhy8h said:
People need to get a grip about Britt. He's not as terrible as you think.

True - he arguably could be a lot worse than we think.

Yes, I would like to see in over 2 years of starts where he has been anything near what a 2nd round pick should be. He has failed miserably at 2 positions. Center is WAY more demanding and WAY more important to play than just saying Oh well, let's throw him in there, home field advantage be damned.

I'm sure Arizona would love having Britt start at center.

Jville

Reaction score
jlwaters1":1nf910rc said:
People need to get a grip about Britt. He's not as terrible as you think. Say what you will he's starting nearly all the games in his NFL career. That says something. According to Cable- he was solid at RT in his rookie year, Last year according to Cable he was less consistent. I have a feeling he'll be just fine at Center.

Britt reminds me of Unger, in that Unger played 2 years at guard (his 2nd was cut short because of injury), and there were people all over this board talking about how much Unger sucked, that since he wasn't a great guard that somehow meant something concerning his prospects at Center.

I hope Britt wins the job, I think he'd be an upgrade over Lewis and would bring more length to the discussion. It should be interesting to see how it all sorts out.

I remember what Unger went thru. Tobeck was another highly belittled example. Some fans struggle with seeing and enjoying player, position group and team development.

As Coach Cable shuffles his roster to train and get a look at different combinations, some in the fan base will go crazy once again during training camp. Many will be oblivious to the mandate to gather as much information as quickly as possible thru shuffling the roster. It should trigger a host of outrageous reactions, amusing objections and noise.

Largent80

Reaction score
I like Cable but I am very seriously concerned with his choice to start Nowak over a very solid Lewis last year. Now Nowak is long gone and our team was in total dissaray from this choice.

If he selects Britt as the starter, I am going deja-vu, and giving up trying to think we can count on him to make the right choices.

Jville

Reaction score
Largent80":3rxqb4gr said:
I like Cable but I am very seriously concerned with his choice to start Nowak over a very solid Lewis last year. Now Nowak is long gone and our team was in total dissaray from this choice.

If he selects Britt as the starter, I am going deja-vu, and giving up trying to think we can count on him to make the right choices.

Is it possible you don't have all of the information?

Largent80

Reaction score
I have 2 years of watching Britt imitate a Tijuana bullfighter at 2 positions, that will suffice for me. He STINKS. They messed up and drafted the guy WAY too high and he is outmatched, it's pretty simple actually. I think everyone that is a Hawk fan and has watched him would agree.

Jville

Reaction score
Largent80":3njxpzvi said:
I have 2 years of watching Britt imitate a Tijuana bullfighter at 2 positions, that will suffice for me. He STINKS. They messed up and drafted the guy WAY too high and he is outmatched, it's pretty simple actually. I think everyone that is a Hawk fan and has watched him would agree.

There are plenty of people that would not agree with your assessment.
Isn't your primary contention with Tom Cable?

Largent80

Reaction score
Largent80":3txvlj44 said:
I like Cable

I did this in case you missed it. HOWEVER, the dude made a gigantic blunder with Nowak, and it cost us the division, and maybe more, caused us to be a road team in the playoffs. Once his blunder was out of there, we started to win and give up less sacks in spite of Britt still not playing well.

And, nobody has disagreed with me yet.

Jville

Reaction score
Largent80":36omj46w said:
Largent80":36omj46w said:
I like Cable

I did this in case you missed it. HOWEVER, the dude made a gigantic blunder with Nowak, and it cost us the division, and maybe more, caused us to be a road team in the playoffs. Once his blunder was out of there, we started to win and give up less sacks in spite of Britt still not playing well.

Interesting, selective reading can be remarkably robust.

Chapow

Reaction score
Largent80":3ut620my said:
Largent80":3ut620my said:
I like Cable

Seems to me that Kam's holdout (both his absence and the disturbance to team chemistry), Carey Williams, and blown 4th quarter leads were far more responsible for us not winning the division and being a road team in the playoffs than Tom Cable or his decision to start Drew Nowak at center.

Last year, we started the season 2-4 despite having 4th quarter leads in every one of those games.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Chapow":28axqm6s said:
Largent80":28axqm6s said:
Largent80":28axqm6s said:
I like Cable

Seems to me that Kam's holdout (both his absence and the disturbance to team chemistry), Carey Williams, and blown 4th quarter leads were far more responsible for us not winning the division and being a road team in the playoffs than Tom Cable or his decision to start Drew Nowak at center.

Last year, we started the season 2-4 despite having 4th quarter leads in every one of those games.

I agree. The main problem was Defense at the beginning of last year, not the Offense. The Offense starts slow every single year since Carroll got here, so I don't think we can blame any Offensive struggles solely on the O-line last year. The Offensive line did enough to win all of those games that the Defense messed up. Those early games cost us the division, and we didn't lose them because of Nowak.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
I don't know. Something to be said for running out the clock. Keeping your defense off the field.

Anyhow, back on topic. I think Britt will be a disaster at center, same as he's been...underachieving and underwhelming.

Wasn't it Cable that said that his 2015 Guard tandem could be the best in the NFL? Seriously I think Cable is the NFL's version of Jurgen Klinsman. If you will it...it will come. *fart*

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Gilliam, Glowinski and Ifedi are all solid players who seem to have the potential to become really great with some more experience. Right now they won't be the best players at their positions but they should be more than adequate. Webb isn't some kind of superstar player but he'll probably be a fine one year solution at RT untill Ifedi moves over. Sowell is also an option who could realistically play every position on the line other than center and be at least average, pretty much a better Bailey.

Center is a position that could go a lot of ways right now. Lewis will probably be the stopgap who will start if none of the other guys step up. He's not a bad center but he's not all that great either and I doubt he can get much better. Not really a long term answer. Britt gets a lot of deserved criticism but why not give him a look in TC. He's a solid run blocker and a mediocre pass blocker imo and in our system the center isn't really one of the most important pass protectors. If he can make linecalls than he could actually be an upgrade over Lewis. We also have Hunt of course who isn't really a physical monster but he proved in college that he's incredibly solid. He might get overwhelmed against the league's best DTs but against average competition he should be able to hold up just fine. Then we have Sokoli, really not sure what to make of him. He's the best athlete out of all offensive linemen in the NFL but can he actually be a good player as well?

I think we at least have enough options that one of them will end up being a decent starting center for us this year, no need to worry yet.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I really doubt this variation of the OL will be the same starting 5 throughout the year. Lots of things would have to break right for that.

Frankly I feel like the better question is, "Will Russell Wilson last 16 games playing behind this OL?"

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Jville":1roiuf37 said:
jlwaters1":1roiuf37 said:

I remember what Unger went thru. Tobeck was another highly belittled example. Some fans struggle with seeing and enjoying player, position group and team development.

As Coach Cable shuffles his roster to train and get a look at different combinations, some in the fan base will go crazy once again during training camp. Many will be oblivious to the mandate to gather as much information as quickly as possible thru shuffling the roster. It should trigger a host of outrageous reactions, amusing objections and noise.

Unger and Tobeck PALED in comparison for any struggles that Britt has shown. Britt has been a failure/bust. No other way to slice it so far.

Hence my doubts that he will fare any better at center, with even more responsibility on his plate than he had at guard or right tackle.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
jlwaters1":ljosev7t said:

I don't see the similarity between Unger and Britt. Unger was center at Oregon and was one of the top centers in the draft in 2009, his draft year. When he was drafted, he was moved by the genius Jim Mora to a guard. That didn't work so PC moved him back to his natural position, C and he was instantly back to form. I don't see center being Britt's natural position. Hopefully he pans out but Britt and Unger's situation is not the same.

chris98251

Reaction score
Cable likes to tinker and give guys time based on potential not what they show now and hope they can improve and grow into a position, Lewis has been in his dog house for some reason and just like this year is the guy they are making every attempt to replace if possible. I think we will see a shuffle two or three times none injury related over the season as guys show they are more game day ready and others just don't grasp things well. We have a mix of Vets and rookies and guys coming from PS now. We will see the potential guys first I think and then as play shows they are over matched a proven Vet is slipped in.