Anyone Else Worried About Our OL?

RiverDog

Reaction score
Let's see, we lost what was unarguably our two best offensive linemen on what was a very poor unit overall, we're going to have a LT that has never played a down at that spot, we drafted a RT that's now going to be moved inside to guard, we have a center that has never started an opener battling it out with a former 2nd round pick that will be playing his 3rd position in 3 years, a guard that's never been a full time starter, a RT that has never played a down for us, and we don't have a bona fide, 3 down blocking tight end.

But nevertheless, I keep hearing how Cable now has some talent to work with along the OL.

So is it just me being a worry wart? Are we going to have to wait 8 weeks for this OL to "gel" like we were told last year when things started off so badly?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
We have a plan!

"Weweese the secwet weapon!"

Actually I'm more curious, interested, concerned, than worried b/c there is good depth to choose from with the guys that are here. However, a lot of things need to work before five fresh starters become a cohesive unit.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
jammerhawk":14s5j5bx said:
We have a plan!

"Weweese the secwet weapon!"

Actually I'm more curious, interested, concerned, than worried b/c there is good depth to choose from with the guys that are here. However, a lot of things need to work before five fresh starters become a cohesive unit.

That's what worries me. The offensive line is like a chain. It's only as strong as it's weakest link. You trot out 5 guys with little or no starting experience that are new to their position and/or have never played with each other and expect them to function as a cohesive unit...

But we'll see. Last season, the OL looked horrible in the preseason and it carried over into the first 9 games of the regular season. So that area of the team will be attracting the majority of my interest this August.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
It is the start of a new Seahawks season.

That means anticipation, excitement and hope. But, it also means we worry about the offensive line. It's just the reality of it, year in and year out. They have decided to not invest a ton of money in the line and to try and make it work by constantly inter-changing parts. It's the price we have to pay to have the defense we do and a top-5 caliber signal caller on his first post-rookie contract.

It is what it is. We are lucky to have the QB we do, because 99.9% of the other QB's in the NFL (not named Cam Newton) would get killed in this offense.

But, I have decided to be optimistic. Hopefully they can settle on a unit early and they have a chance to build quickly.

Just as important as the line is the coaching staff not being stubborn mules like the first half of last season. They finally realized they needed to adjust the passing game to help minimize the onslaught Wilson was facing. They need to START the season using that as leverage. Quick, high percentage passes with the occasional bomb down the field to keep a defense honest.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
At least we got the quick-hitting pass game working towards the end of last year, to make up for Cable's Franken-line... I actually think a big problem early last year was a center with no experience at making the line calls. I believe Russell was tasked with that job as well. I saw a huge uptick in OL play when an experienced center was put back in. I hope Britt isn't the starting center to open the season for this very reason.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":olha76ty said:
Just as important as the line is the coaching staff not being stubborn mules like the first half of last season. They finally realized they needed to adjust the passing game to help minimize the onslaught Wilson was facing. They need to START the season using that as leverage. Quick, high percentage passes with the occasional bomb down the field to keep a defense honest.
This, this and this!

And of course there's concern about the o-line. My gut tells me Hunt wins the C job and while not being an all-pro anytime soon, stabilizes the position which helps stabilize the whole unit.

Erebus

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":340cjfsk said:
It is the start of a new Seahawks season.

That means anticipation, excitement and hope. But, it also means we worry about the offensive line. It's just the reality of it, year in and year out. They have decided to not invest a ton of money in the line and to try and make it work by constantly inter-changing parts. It's the price we have to pay to have the defense we do and a top-5 caliber signal caller on his first post-rookie contract.

It is what it is. We are lucky to have the QB we do, because 99.9% of the other QB's in the NFL (not named Cam Newton) would get killed in this offense.

But, I have decided to be optimistic. Hopefully they can settle on a unit early and they have a chance to build quickly.

I agree with the Master Chief. This is my stance exactly on the o-line. I also think our tackles aren't as important to Wilson's protection as the guards are, and I'm optimistic about both Ifedi and Glowinski. Wilson seems better at avoiding edge rushers than interior pressure. I realize there will be an adjustment period, but the spread offense should help mitigate that.

j hawk

Reaction score
Not worried. Think line will be better-stronger. Can't wait till camp.

kf3339

Reaction score
RiverDog":1xx40ysa said:
Let's see, we lost what was unarguably our two best offensive linemen on what was a very poor unit overall, we're going to have a LT that has never played a down at that spot, we drafted a RT that's now going to be moved inside to guard, we have a center that has never started an opener battling it out with a former 2nd round pick that will be playing his 3rd position in 3 years, a guard that's never been a full time starter, a RT that has never played a down for us, and we don't have a bona fide, 3 down blocking tight end.

But nevertheless, I keep hearing how Cable now has some talent to work with along the OL.

So is it just me being a worry wart? Are we going to have to wait 8 weeks for this OL to "gel" like we were told last year when things started off so badly?

"EVERYONE" is worried about our O-Line right now. I bet even PC and Cable have no real clue what to expect this early in the game. We need to see them with pads on and hitting someone. Even the first two preseason games will only tell us so much since most teams will not play their starters very long and NO ONE schemes their defensive play for those games.

But ultimately I think RW will be running for his life the first few regular season games even if they use a fast passing attack. It will take time for this line to come together and training camp/preseason will tell us very little.

Jville

Reaction score
I'm not worried. I've seen this before. It's part of the cycle.

It's pointless to worry about an offensive line in front of Russell Wilson. Russell loves improvisation. He loves being in the moment and running around and reversing his field to extend a play. He loves holding out for a better option or corresponding improvisation from a receiver. Russell is so much fun to watch. But he does make life hard on offensive linemen. We've seen this before in Seattle with Jim Zorn. And outside of Seattle, we recall the amazing play of the great Fran Tarkenton. We've also witnessed that these unique offenses typically make linemen go wanting for something more conventional in the way of an offense.

Now days we have observed an ongoing trickle of linemen departing for more conventional opportunities. Opportunities that offer starting jobs. This years departure include Okung to Denver, Sweezy to Tampa Bay and Bailey to Cleveland.

It's not easy keeping Russell Wilson stocked with linemen. But, it is a challenge they have committed to address. For this fan, how they go about doing that is instructive and fun to watch.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Can't worry about a part of the team that nobody has a clue about it's actual makeup which won't be until Miami at best.

Ozzy

Reaction score
GeekHawk":3azwwqpv said:
At least we got the quick-hitting pass game working towards the end of last year, to make up for Cable's Franken-line... I actually think a big problem early last year was a center with no experience at making the line calls. I believe Russell was tasked with that job as well. I saw a huge uptick in OL play when an experienced center was put back in. I hope Britt isn't the starting center to open the season for this very reason.

Agree with all of this. Don't want Britt at center and if I'm proven wrong I would be the first to admit it and be thankful in regards to Britt. Just hoping for some experience there especially with Gilliam and Ifedi out there.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Really? I actually feel better about our line now than I did last year. Okung was incredibly injury prone, rather have a decent LT all the time instead of a good LT only half the time. Glowinski is a definite upgrade over Britt at LG. Ifedi is going to be huge at RG and Webb is definitely experienced enough to be a decent stopgap at RT. Don't forget that we actually DO have a blocking TE now and his name is Nick Vannett. He can very well be on the field for 3 downs as he can catch passes just as well.

I admit I'm not really sold on Britt at center. Last year proved that having an inexperienced but athletic center is probably not that good of an idea. Get Lewis in there as an average option who won't make the Pro Bowl but who at the same time won't screw up the line big time either or go with Hunt if he proves to be just as dominant against NFL competition as he did on the college level.

As long as we one way or another have a capable center starting week 1 I have very little to worry about.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I'm more worried for Russell behind that o line.

Please, slow down the amount of free rushers up the A gaps!

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Even with elite first pick draft choices, it's a crap shoot finding a solid Offensive lineman, let alone 2. OL is probably the one group position that takes time to mature and build so yeah, I'm very worried about our OL, though as others have said, it's a new season and I'm optimistic until it breaks down.

Tical21

Reaction score
I'm worried about Gilliam since Russell can't see his blindside and has felt ghosts there in the past. I actually think the combination of the other 4 will be better than what we have had recently. If not, I still wouldn't care as long as they can run block.