What Makes an Elite NFL Quaterback? - NFL Network

jonkchar

Reaction score
On NFL network, they had a segment asking what makes an elite NFL quarterback, and they pretty much talked only about Russell Wilson and Tom Brady. A lot of Wilson was featured. The one guy i remember talking in the panel, said he believes the great quarterbacks can manipulate the pocket.
Then they showed a segment with Troy Aikmen, John Elway talking about what it takes to be a quarterback, and between clips of them and others, some present day players also shown were Wilson, Brees, Roethlisberger, Brady and Newton.

Pretty darn cool.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Oddly I think manipulating the pocket is probably the only thing left on the list that Wilson doesn't do well.

He's still pretty young to have mastered that skillset though, and the Seahawks seem pretty set on finding different ways to not make him do it too much. It's the type of thing he'll need to have developed three or four years from now, but as of right now it's not really a big issue.

In terms of people developing the ability with age, that really can't be understated, IMO. All the guys who really wow in that area are 30+, and Wilson's still a ways off from that.

I know people here love to rag on Andrew Luck, but he came into the league more fully formed in manipulating the pocket than any QB I can remember in a long time (one of the major reasons he was so adored by QB nuts, IMO).

EDIT: Also worth saying that oddly, it seems to be a skillset that the super athletic QBs don't have as much as the immobile guys, likely because they don't need it as much. Guys with athleticism who also manipulate the pocket well (right now it's really only Rodgers, and Luck to some degree, but he has yet to develop as much as people were expecting) are really, really far and few between.

oasis

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1z78z81c said:
Oddly I think manipulating the pocket is probably the only thing left on the list that Wilson doesn't do well.
Wilson rarely had the opportunity to demonstrate whether he can or cannot manipulate the pocket because he rarely had a pocket. Not sure of the point of saying that someone can't do something just because they have not demonstrated it..
jacknicholsonblink.gif

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ Opting not to derail the thread, so I'll just make the following statement to bring it back on topic:

For me, expert ability in manipulating the pocket from within it is one of the hallmarks of being an elite QB, but damnit if Wilson doesn't break that general rule a little bit.

His escapability to the outside from the top of the pocket and ability to play at such a high level outside of the pocket makes him, for me, well on his way to being an elite (i.e. top 3 or 4) QB even though I think he still has work to do on manipulating the pocket from within (again though, even for those who can, practically nobody develops this skill to really good levels until they're 30+ it seems -- it has, IMO, been the biggest factor in Rapes ascension from a top 10 QB to a top 5 (or higher) QB, even though that doesn't get talked about enough).

scutterhawk

Reaction score
oasis":cru4re03 said:
Popeyejones":cru4re03 said:
Wilson rarely had the opportunity to demonstrate whether he can or cannot manipulate the pocket because he rarely had a pocket. Not sure of the point of saying that someone can't do something just because they have not demonstrated it..
jacknicholsonblink.gif
Yep ^^^, you can't manipulate a "Pocket" that doesn't develop, or has been instantly breeched, as was shown in the first half of last Season's games.
Wilson has had to use his athleticism to compensate for the ever changing and dysfunctional Offensive Line, and that's something that very few of the other "Elite Quarterbacks" have had to deal with.

ivotuk

Reaction score
It takes years, decadesb even, for QBs to learn that, because they learn it through experience. I could be wrong, but I think some of Carson Palmers recent success can be attributed to increased pocket awareness and manipulation.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1bcd5j00 said:
^^^^ Opting not to derail the thread, so I'll just make the following statement to bring it back on topic:

For me, expert ability in manipulating the pocket from within it is one of the hallmarks of being an elite QB, but damnit if Wilson doesn't break that general rule a little bit.

His escapability to the outside from the top of the pocket and ability to play at such a high level outside of the pocket makes him, for me, well on his way to being an elite (i.e. top 3 or 4) QB even though I think he still has work to do on manipulating the pocket from within (again though, even for those who can, practically nobody develops this skill to really good levels until they're 30+ it seems -- it has, IMO, been the biggest factor in Rapes ascension from a top 10 QB to a top 5 (or higher) QB, even though that doesn't get talked about enough).

I understand what your saying but don't you think the O-line might have a hand in it?

I posted in another thread stats for pass protection for both Wilson and Luck from PFF. The only source I could find that separated pass protection vs run blocking and the results I found were staggering to say the least.

Out of memory Luck has had the 17th, 6th, 7th and 16th best pass protection while Wilson has never had better than 23rd and the other three years were between 30th and 32nd.

Last year Wilson was on pace half way through the year to be sacked more than any QB in the recorded history of the game.

I might be wrong but I believe if Wilson's pass protection was ranked 6th and 7th, he would look much different in the pocket or at the very least our guard play was improved which is protecting the A gap, where the pocket collapses instantly. Hell even 17th would be a huge upgrade.

I'm really amazed how well Wilson has done when he does have a pocket because he has had zero reason to believe it will protect him. If he could confidently manipulate the pocket and trust he won't get killed I think you would see the guy he was in college which from my understanding he was elite from the pocket.

I do agree that he could be elite and possibly even the best in the league if he gets comfortable in the pocket. I just don't think it is because he is bad at it. More so like said above, he hasn't had a pocket to manipulate.

If we ever get that line performing even average he could be veey dangerous.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
I understand what pocket awareness is, but what the hell is manipulating the pocket?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RichNhansom":23ta5cbr said:
Popeyejones":23ta5cbr said:

I understand what your saying but don't you think the O-line might have a hand in it?

Something I've posted about before and would be happy to post again if nobody objected, but what tends to happen in this situation is:

a) I say something on topic that is generally really complimentary of the Hawks or one of their players.
b) people then pick out the one thing I said that wasn't fawning praise and demand that I answer to it.
c) if I fullfill the repeated request I then get accused of trolling and dragging the thread off-topic for responding to what was requested of me.

As a result, although I'm happy to have that conversation, I'm just gonna stick to what I've already said: I think an elite level ability to manipulate the pocket is one the underspoken hallmarks of elite QB play, but Wilson, who is so atypically good at other things, is able to break that mold a little bit.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2nbppksm said:
RichNhansom":2nbppksm said:
Popeyejones":2nbppksm said:

Something I've posted about before and would be happy to post again if nobody objected, but what tends to happen in this situation is:

a) I say something on topic that is generally really complimentary of the Hawks or one of their players.
b) people then pick out the one thing I said that wasn't fawning praise and demand that I answer to it.
c) if I fullfill the repeated request I then get accused of trolling and dragging the thread off-topic for responding to what was requested of me.

As a result, although I'm happy to have that conversation, I'm just gonna stick to what I've already said: I think an elite level ability to manipulate the pocket is one the underspoken hallmarks of elite QB play, but Wilson, who is so atypically good at other things, is able to break that mold a little bit.

Does this illustrate some of what you might have alluded to?

EiifKDA.gif

OR

Rxbzjq9

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Elite quarterbacks are the ones who usually make the playoffs, so I categorize the elites as the ones who give their franchises the best chance. The league has 12 playoff spots, and usually 10 or 11 of the elite quarterbacks fill those positions. To be elite, a quarterback must have 4,000-yard potential, complete 60 percent of his passes and score more than 20 points a game. - John Clayton in 2011

Source - http://espn.go.com/nfl/preview11/story/ ... arting-qbs

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":3e8333im said:
I understand what pocket awareness is, but what the hell is manipulating the pocket?

When people talk about these things they're mostly talking about the same thing, but for my money manipulating the pocket is taking pocket awareness to the next level.

A guy with good pocket awareness is rarely gonna get his bell rung becaue he "feels the rush" well. He can also anticipate the rush and step to avoid it.

Manipulating the pocket is that on steroids, which is why is takes guys so long to develop the ability, and why many never do. It's like playing instantaneous chess while knowing what will happen three moves in advance.

Long story short, rather than just being about avoiding the rush, it's about innately understanding how THE WAY you avoid rush changes the rush and opens up new possibilities and windows in the rush that result from your avoidance. It's the ability to think two or three steps ahead without having time to think, basically.

For the real experts (like Brees), you'll also see them taking small steps and shifts to avoid rushers that aren't even there; they're instead just moving in the pocket in a way that changes it to their better liking (it's manipulating the pocket by directing rushers to where you want them to go rather than to you, which is where they want to be going). .

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1nzqny0j said:

I can see why it would seem that Wilson is deficient in this.

Although to be perfectly honest, Wilson is getting incredibly proficient at climbing the ladder or shifting to the side get clearer vision or to buy that extra beat. It's one of the aspects to his game that really blossomed in 2015. You could see it change in almost real time from game to game. And the results of that ability is repeatedly observable in virtually every game. Particularly in the last 12 games of 2015.

I do expect that it will always be a criticism for Wilson for two reasons:

1. Wilson, unlike many QBs, will not always throw the ball away at the last minute to avoid sacks. It's not that he doesn't know how to throw the ball away. Or that he doesn't do it smartly. But you don't see many 'panic dumps' of the ball when he's going to be imminently sacked. So it's going to seem like he's not as able to avoid pressure through the use of manipulating the pocket. Since the outcome of that lack of skill is generally either a lot of sacks or a low completion percentage.

Wilson has a strong understanding of what's asked of him. Seattle has a great defense and a strong team. Getting a sack and punting is not a bad outcome. Not protecting the ball and forcing plays that aren't there is. Seattle will always remain somewhat unique in that mindset. And Wilson is one of the top 2 or 3 in the league in being able to consistently concede sacks in lieu of potential turnovers.

2. His mobility. It's kind of an albatross across his neck that will never really be resolved. It's one of those things that he'll always have at his disposal as long as his legs don't suffer injury. And every time he uses his elusiveness and feet to escape pressure -- whether it's the correct decision at the time or not -- is going to be viewed from the outside as evidence of a failure to perform at QB the way conventional QBs succeed.

I would have agreed in general with this viewpoint at this time last year. In fact, I made this very point in one of our 'where are you looking for improvements' threads heading into the 2015 season. Wilson's consistent march towards mastery of his profession.

So I was looking very hard at Wilson hoping that he'd take that next leap towards a complete QB. He turned the corner pretty much from the beginning of the year. Either flashes of it, or instances where you'd see him understanding the need to do it but falling short in execution. And you could see him get better consistently. To the point of leading the league in efficiency and production from within the pocket this year. He is a more dangerous QB from in the pocket now. And figures to really build on that.

Quite honestly, I expect Wilson to surpass Rodgers as the top career rated passer by end of next year. It may even have a chance to do it this year. Wilson has the very real opportunity to be the best passer in the league and the best scrambler in the league.

Even despite Seattle not abandoning the run, I think Wilson can hit:

4500 yards
40 TDs
< 10 ints
115 season rating.

That would eclipse Steve Young's best season. I actually see Wilson as mirroring Young in style and substance. But without the 7 year delay to start his career.

In fact, comparing Wilson's first 4 seasons with the best 4 year stretch in Young's career -- they are almost indistinguishable from one another:

Wilson young

I expect him to be better than the end of last season. Although he may be better and not fare better statistically. But I expect he will have a transformative break out season. I don't say that lightly. But because precisely the reasons in this thread and how Wilson has achieved that kind of mastery. He has taken that next step. He is able to manipulate the pocket. He's adding manipulating defenses with his eyes. And he's adding the regular understanding of his pre snap reads in virtually instant fashion. His over half a second reduction in delivery of his passes aren't solely the result of scheme to try to minimize poor OL protection.

He simply knows where he's going and how to best move the defense to get what he wants before he even puts his mouthpiece in. He's hitting the mental acuity that the all time greats achieve. He is very quickly honing his skill in a very methodical and predictable way. You can almost carve up his seasons into quarters and see where his leaps of improvement occur.

I think this is the year he just turns it loose. This could easily be the best Seattle team ever assembled.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Laloosh":1hyfvs9o said:

EiifKDA.gif

OR

Rxbzjq9

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Counter example:

Aaron Rodgers knows that rushers react to the direction in which he opens up, meaning he can check in on an impossible window and create space for himself out the backdoor. Rather than trying to evade the rush he's using jujitsu and making the rushers do what he wants.

It took him a long time to develop it, but he can do it now.

Window2

Laloosh

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2kw7ynkg said:
In fact, comparing Wilson's first 4 seasons with the best 4 year stretch in Young's career -- they are almost indistinguishable from one another:

One stretch starting at age 31 and the other at what, 26? :snack:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Laloosh":dnp2pjfl said:
Attyla the Hawk":dnp2pjfl said:

TBF if you compare raw QB stats across eras like that some of the best QBs in the history of the game are going to look pretty average by today's standard.

IIRC the median QB last year threw for between 3.5-4K yards, 62% completion, around 25 tds and 12 ints or so.

In terms of raw stats Brian Hoyer as of late is basically on par with Troy Aikman, and can't even keep a job.

All that said, one of the reasons I like Wilson so much is because he reminds me more of Steve Young than any QB I've ever seen.

I think it's a great, great comparison, but I wouldn't use raw numbers to make it. :2thumbs:

pmedic920

Reaction score
Question stated in the the title is, what makes an elite QB.

IMHO, the answer is RESULTS.

IMO, doing this or that well, doesn't matter, if the results are elite, the QB is elite.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3di44871 said:
Laloosh":3di44871 said:

TBF if you compare raw QB stats across eras like that some of the best QBs in the history of the game are going to look pretty average by today's standard.

IIRC the median QB last year threw for between 3.5-4K yards, 62% completion, around 25 tds and 12 ints or so.

In terms of raw stats Brian Hoyer as of late is basically on par with Troy Aikman, and can't even keep a job.

All that said, one of the reasons I like Wilson so much is because he reminds me more of Steve Young than any QB I've ever seen.

I think it's a great, great comparison, but I wouldn't use raw numbers to make it. :2thumbs:

I can be happy about the numbers, positive about the future and not think that he's better than every QB to have walked the earth. I don't particularly like listening to his interviews or reading about his personal life but I love to watch the guy play when he's on.

I agree that it's a good comparison but we won't know for sure until Wilson retires, right? Let me have my moment, damn it! :D

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Some of you get way too Butthurt if someone says anything negative about Wilson. He's a really good player, but his pocket awareness could definitely improve and be more consistent.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Popeyejones":96l57t2d said:
Laloosh":96l57t2d said:

EiifKDA.gif

OR

Rxbzjq9

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Counter example:

Aaron Rodgers knows that rushers react to the direction in which he opens up, meaning he can check in on an impossible window and create space for himself out the backdoor. Rather than trying to evade the rush he's using jujitsu and making the rushers do what he wants.

It took him a long time to develop it, but he can do it now.

Window2

So in other words something Wilson has done many times.