Seahawks 2016 breakout player

kearly

Reaction score
Which unheralded player will step up to be a positive difference maker this season?

There's a lot of good choices I could go with, but as of now my pick is Paul Richardson. Reasons being:

• He makes a very strong initial cut which serves him well in a quick tempo offense. Seattle is going to be going quick tempo a lot this season.
  • Last season Seattle started running 3 WR sets on a huge percentage of plays. If that trend continues, then all Richardson would have to do is move one spot up the receiver pecking order (over Jermaine Kearse) to see significant play time and targets.
  • Even if he doesn't move up, the odds are fairly high that injuries to other players during the season could give him opportunity, or that Seattle could dabble in 4 receivers sets if all four receivers are playing well.

It's not a perfect comparison by any means, but in a vague sense Richardson reminds me of DJ Hackett. Both are/were players capable of 1000 yard seasons under ideal circumstances, but could just never stay healthy with a different injury occurring every time.

That said, if Richardson does stay healthy, I would expect him to form a three headed monster with Baldwin and Lockett in a supremely efficient pass offense. Maybe not by week 1, but by year's end.

I was also tempted to pick Tye Smith, Mark Glowinski, Tharold Simon, and CJ Procise.

Who is your breakout player?

monkey

Reaction score
Easy, Garry Gilliam.
Unheralded, and expected by most of the media to fail BIG TIME, he will not only not fail, and exceed expectations, he will be an upgrade over Okung last year, (partly because he'll actually stay healthy, and the best ability is AVAILability), especially in terms of run blocking, at which he will excel.
Though he may need a little time to adjust to his new LT position, and may start out slowly, by seasons end, I predict he will be thought of as the franchise LT of the future, and we will all be very happy about it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think Tyler Lockett is going to take it to another level even after a great rookie year.

Richardson I could see IF, and it's a huge IF, he stays on the field.

My honorable mention will be Frank Clark.

monkey

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":cncc4ox1 said:
I think Tyler Lockett is going to take it to another level even after a great rookie year.

I would have mentioned Lockett, but it's hard for me to think of him as a breakout anything. He broke out last year, and will only keep getting better.
I expect him to push Baldwin for unofficial title of teams best receiver.
I agree that Frank Clark is most likely going to breakout this year. Richardson has a good shot as well, having spent so much time in the off season getting on the same page with Wilson and getting stronger. I like the chances of Glowinski as well.
I just think that the guy who most people aren't expecting to do much, the guy most flying under the radar, yet most likely to exceed expectations by a mile, Gilliam.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2i2wui0p said:

Kinda looking for breakout players, not improved ones. Guys who go from zero to hero, or guys who are brand new that might break out immediately like Thomas Rawls did. Maybe even a low-expectations veteran such as Jimmy Graham, Chris Clemons or Brandon Browner.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Is Richardson going to get enough targets to be a "breakout" candidate?

I don't see it.

Baldwin, Kearse, Lockett, Graham, Willson, Vannett, Rawls, Collins, Prosise. That's already a lot of mouths to feed. And then who knows about Kasen Williams and Kevin Smith. Both have a lot of potential.

I like Richardson's potential, but until he shows me NFL level durability I worry about him. He is just too skinny. Lockett is a "little guy" but he proved last season he can take a hit and keep on ticking. I need to see that from P-Rich.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3amjk3se said:
I don't see it.

And that's exactly why he qualifies. This topic is about guys who have zero expectations currently but may end the year looking like franchise players. Which under the radar guy do you think is going to appear on the radar in 2016?

chris98251

Reaction score
I think Collins and Browner although Browner would be more a comeback player.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Not sure exactly what is meant by 'breakout' player; but I'm going with Frank Clark. With what's-his-name gone, he'll get more time on the outside and more sacks/disruption plays. IMHO...of course.

Seafan

Reaction score
Based on Kearly's definition I hope it is Justin Britt. Few expect anything from him and it would be great if he can exceed everyone's expectations.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":gw2nq1kc said:

Richardson I could see IF, and it's a huge IF, he gets on the field.

FIFY

Hawks46

Reaction score
A lot of cards would have to fall the right way, but I'd say Collins. He shows the potential to be very good in our system.

I'd say Vannett is a close 2nd as long as Graham doesn't come back right away. I also look for Ifedi to have a great season, but he was a 1st round pick, not sure that qualifies as having no expectations or being a "zero' right off the bat.

On defense, it's a no brainer: Jarran Reed. I also thing Quinton Jefferson is going to make a pretty good impact, and if Hill gets hurt, I have my eye on Brandin Bryant. He has elite measurables.

Out of all these, Reed tops the list.

ACFan

Reaction score
kearly":2ifp26pe said:
Which unheralded player will step up to be a positive difference maker this season?

There's a lot of good choices I could go with, but as of now my pick is Paul Richardson. Reasons being:

• He makes a very strong initial cut which serves him well in a quick tempo offense. Seattle is going to be going quick tempo a lot this season.
  • Last season Seattle started running 3 WR sets on a huge percentage of plays. If that trend continues, then all Richardson would have to do is move one spot up the receiver pecking order (over Jermaine Kearse) to see significant play time and targets.
  • Even if he doesn't move up, the odds are fairly high that injuries to other players during the season could give him opportunity, or that Seattle could dabble in 4 receivers sets if all four receivers are playing well.

It's not a perfect comparison by any means, but in a vague sense Richardson reminds me of DJ Hackett. Both are/were players capable of 1000 yard seasons under ideal circumstances, but could just never stay healthy with a different injury occurring every time.

That said, if Richardson does stay healthy, I would expect him to form a three headed monster with Baldwin and Lockett in a supremely efficient pass offense. Maybe not by week 1, but by year's end.

I was also tempted to pick Tye Smith, Mark Glowinski, Tharold Simon, and CJ Procise.

Who is your breakout player?

you know I'm going with kearly :)

Alex Collins, he may be this year's Rawls.

monkey

Reaction score
Seafan":3d7730zf said:
Based on Kearly's definition I hope it is Justin Britt. Few expect anything from him and it would be great if he can exceed everyone's expectations.

I HOPE it is Justin Britt too, because if there is any one player at any one position, who no one is expecting anything good from, and who would make the biggest impact if he had a breakout season, it's got to be Justin Britt at center.
I just don't honestly think it will happen...but boy do I HOPE it will!

HawkGA

Reaction score
ACFan":1af8llgr said:
you know I'm going with kearly :)

You mean when he unexpectedly comes back with his "Random Thoughts"?

nanomoz

Reaction score
Frank Clark. He approaches all pro status this year.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":1a1103jp said:
A lot of cards would have to fall the right way, but I'd say Collins. He shows the potential to be very good in our system.

I'd say Vannett is a close 2nd as long as Graham doesn't come back right away. I also look for Ifedi to have a great season, but he was a 1st round pick, not sure that qualifies as having no expectations or being a "zero' right off the bat.

On defense, it's a no brainer: Jarran Reed. I also thing Quinton Jefferson is going to make a pretty good impact, and if Hill gets hurt, I have my eye on Brandin Bryant. He has elite measurables.

Out of all these, Reed tops the list.
It's Reed that's on my radar also....Considering the support players that he will playing along side, he could very well become this years attack dog.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
kearly":2qqitpvz said:
FlyingGreg":2qqitpvz said:
I don't see it.

And that's exactly why he qualifies. This topic is about guys who have zero expectations currently but may end the year looking like franchise players. Which under the radar guy do you think is going to appear on the radar in 2016?

I get it. Just don't think P-Rich will even have a shot to breakout. He is a fringe roster guy at best, stuck behind better WR options.

Not a lot of chatter about Tharold Simon or Tye Smith. I will go with one of those guys.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
HawkGA":397ajscs said:
Sports Hernia":397ajscs said:

Richardson I could see IF, and it's a huge IF, he gets on the field.

FIFY
That's actually a decent fix. I approve! :2thumbs: