Tyvis Powell

HawkGA

Reaction score
So he came in what I would consider fairly high on Brock and Salk's most intriguing list. I guess it depends on what one considers intriguing, but I found this a bit curious. An UDFA at a position the Hawks are fairly stocked at. Intriguing? I don't know, I just don't see it. Anybody wanna change my mind in that?

Basis4day

Reaction score
HawkGA":1wkcsgxx said:
So he came in what I would consider fairly high on Brock and Salk's most intriguing list. I guess it depends on what one considers intriguing, but I found this a bit curious. An UDFA at a position the Hawks are fairly stocked at. Intriguing? I don't know, I just don't see it. Anybody wanna change my mind in that?

I don't have the context of Brock's statement, but i'd hazard a guess it's more what Powell's strengths and skills as a player than where he would fit in the context of the defensive backfield.

MB12

Reaction score
Here's what I wrote on Powell:

"Why did Tyvis Powell go undrafted? A team captain at Ohio State last season, and the defensive MVP in the 2014 national title win over Oregon, Powell has the ideal size and athleticism for the position, at 6’ 3” 211 pounds and running a 4.46 second forty time. Schneider’s comments upon signing Powell expressed shock at being able to sign him: “[We] had a very high grade [on him]” and that “[we were] surprised we were able to get him.”

One reason for Powell’s UDFA status is his tackling technique, which is subpar, despite his total of 195 tackles in college. For a man of Powell’s size – which would suggest he projects best as a strong safety – a big hit on most tackles would be expected. Instead Powell ducks his head into contact and sometimes has running backs fall forward when he meets them. He does not come downhill on runners aggressively, appearing rather timid as he allows them to run toward him. This style gives the impression that contact is viewed as a necessary evil of the game, rather than a part to enjoy. The angles he takes when in pursuit of the ball carrier also needs work, and Powell would benefit from tracking the play-side hip of the runner more consistently. These technique issues contributed to 13 missed tackles by Powell in 2015. This did not go unnoticed from other college programs, with a Big Ten offensive assistant stating that “our game plan was to run at him and away from Vonn [Bell].”

His ability to play well against the run is further worsened by the difficulty he has in freeing himself from blockers. Dissatisfactory tackling and play when defending against the run has led some analysts to suggest that Powell would be better suited at free safety, but his production and frame should not be ignored. Furthermore, the mentorship of Kam Chancellor should aid him in being a more effective hitter and tackler, as should the previously mentioned ‘Hawk Tackle’ coaching that the Seattle Seahawks preach.

In addition to Powell’s prototypical size, his big-play ability is a major attraction. In the big games, Powell makes game-changing plays. As a redshirt freshman, he intercepted Michigan’s two-point attempt – jumping in front of wide receiver Drew Dileo to win the game for Ohio State. In the 2014 college football semi-final he picked off Alabama’s end-of-game Hail Mary. He intercepted Notre Dame quarterback DeShone Kizer in the 2015 Fiesta Bowl against Notre Dame, but it was negated due to a targeting call on Joey Bosa.

Powell’s main skill in pass coverage was his field awareness, with the safety displaying a good understanding of where his fellow teammates were. He plays with excellent range, which saw him cover for teammates’ mistakes in coverage. The Buckeyes even had him covering men in the slot – including tight ends and running back / wide receiver hybrids. Turnovers were also forced by Powell, as he registered eight interceptions in three years of Buckeyes football – with over three in the past two years. Even when attending the Senior Bowl, Powell registered interceptions in practices. The negatives in his pass coverage include his tendency to allow receivers to eat up his cushion, and also his occasional habit of relinquishing deep responsibility when focusing too much on the QB’s eyes rather than the receivers.

Powell – who clearly understands why he went undrafted – will go into a deep backup safety competition which includes SS Kelcie McCray,who filled in admirably during Chancellor’s holdout, and FS Steven Terrell. Powell could also make the roster as a backup to Browner’s role as a third safety. Physical cornerback Tharold Simon could also be a part of the competition for this job, in addition to the previously mentioned McEvoy."

The full article, including video, can be found here: http://insidethepylon.com/film-study/fi ... ary-udfas/

It features other UDFA signings for Seattle's secondary.

Seafan

Reaction score
If he can learn the Seahawk tackling technique he has a reasonable chance to make the roster. His competition is Terrell.

McGruff

Reaction score
In back to back years we lost Jeron Johnson and Chris Maragos, and then also switched Shead to CB . . . Our safety depth was thin last year, and at times it showed in a big way. I think Powell is a lock to make the team, and could play some significant snaps. He's also a proven Special teams player.

MB12

Reaction score
No problem, I'm covering the NFC West for Inside The Pylon so I'll point you in the direction of anymore Seahawks articles

titan3131

Reaction score
Seafan":2ghpxgti said:
If he can learn the Seahawk tackling technique he has a reasonable chance to make the roster. His competition is Terrell.

At the release of the hawk tackling video the staff at Ohio state used teh video and trained their team on the style of tackling. It propelled their defense to being one of the top in the country and they won the championship that year.

Technically he should already know our tackling system...

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
It's intriguing because he has a lot of tools. Some blemishes that we seem uniquely equipped to polish.

I'd fully expect him to make the team. Namely because McCray is a UFA in 2017. Powell is essentially his next year replacement. Think to last year when we were rolling out Dion Bailey to start the season because we didn't have any quality depth behind Chancellor. This year we have McCray and a full year to hone a quality prospect for a year and extend club control for valuable depth.

Powell should be able to contribute in some fashion this year if needed. Depth players factor prominently in wins and losses. To be able to reload in a controlled way at a high level has a lot of value. Seattle is in a position to maintain quality depth at no draft cost and have players already with professional seasoning. What's not to like?

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
you cant teach loving to hit people. That will earn you an undrafted status

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
There were a couple of times last year where Earl Thomas just didn't deliver the hits in space or make the plays on the ball that would be expected and I think if Thomas is still not quite right with his shoulders, Powell will be an eventual replacement if Thomas goes down. Shead is also a candidate, but I see Shead more as a CB now vs safety.

Powell will either thrive and make plays on specials or get beat out by an established veteran like Terrell or others.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":240lyvnf said:
Chukarhawk":240lyvnf said:
you cant teach loving to hit people. That will earn you an undrafted status

Not true, Deion Sanders :)
Awesome. :irishdrinkers:

That little bitch didn't even tackle or block when it was legal. He lived up to his original team's name in so many ways that I'm still counting to this day. Dude was an elite cover corner but a straight pussy everywhere else including baseball.

MB12

Reaction score
titan3131":3v1y83j3 said:
Seafan":3v1y83j3 said:

At the release of the hawk tackling video the staff at Ohio state used teh video and trained their team on the style of tackling. It propelled their defense to being one of the top in the country and they won the championship that year.

Technically he should already know our tackling system...
I never knew this. That's an error on my part in the article. Hmm, hopefully he soon figures that part out.

P.S. Thanks for the kind words guys

Latest posts