I am a bit surprised...

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
...that we haven't seen new deals for Pete or John yet.

I know we have talked about it in here this off-season. I guess I just expected to see it done by now.

Camp is 12 days away. Still time, and I suppose it could go into the regular season.

Just weird.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Pete is going to be coaching the Los Angeles team when Fisher is fired after this season... I hope not though.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
The Seattle Seahawks top priority, at this point, should be providing their brain trust -- general manager John Schneider and head coach Pete Carroll -- with shiny new extensions.

According to 710 ESPN Seattle's John Clayton, those negotiations have already begun and he believes it behooves the Seahawks to get both extensions done with the quickness.

“I think there has to be growing concerns each day this goes by,” Clayton said.

Clayton recently said in an ESPN piece that Schneider could be looking at becoming the highest paid general manager of all time with a $4 million per year salary. Carroll is also staring at another large pay day. His last extension was rumored to be around the $9 million mark and both Saints coach Sean Payton and Patriots coach Bill Belichick are said to be north of that figure now.

http://sea.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Ca ... d-46259601

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I think the only people that are making it a problem is the media. John and Pete know they are under contract for this year, and know Mr. Allen wants them to remain. Frankly, I don't think they have the egos of the players, so the issue isn't as critical as people seem to think it is. Hand-wringing is completely unnecesary.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":3pimybvz said:
I think the only people that are making it a problem is the media. John and Pete know they are under contract for this year, and know Mr. Allen wants them to remain. Frankly, I don't think they have the egos of the players, so the issue isn't as critical as people seem to think it is. Hand-wringing is completely unnecesary.
BINGO! :2thumbs:

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
It's not so much worrying as it is bizarre. Clayton just guessing what it all means doesn't help either.

I can't imagine Pete wanting to walk away from a team that has everything in place to be a contender -- plus his own home grown QB -- to go coach a team with a rookie, unknown quantity QB he didn't select just because they're in LA. That would mean being in LA was more important to Pete than winning -- and that goes against his entire mantra.

I suspect Pete will retire after this gig anyway.

Ditto John Schneider. Unless he's been sounded out about taking over in Green Bay next year it makes little sense not to just get the new deal done.

So maybe Schneider is going to GB and maybe Pete retires?

But that doesn't seem all that likely either.

Wish it would get sorted just to stop the media speculating.

edogg23

Reaction score
It is a little concerning to me. John and Pete have made Paul truckloads of money by making this team what it is.

Since there is no salary cap, there is no reason why these deals shouldn't be done already unless John or Pete don't want to come back, in which case there is case for major concern.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
It's not concerning to me at all if they are already in the midst of negotiations. Just like our player contracts, it seems like everyone frets and frets and then the deals get done and everyone is happy.

Let the process play out. I'm also not worried about Pete going to LA at this point, I think he's going to sign up for another stint with the Hawks and when he wants to retire, that will be it. There is no point in him moving to LA and having to build up another team again, that just doesn't make any sense with the situation he has right now. There's also no guarantee that LA would even give him the control that he covets.

As far as Schneider going to GB - I used to be a bit worried about that until I read a few articles about Eliot Wolf being groomed to take over for Thompson. GB already has their succession plan in place and at this point Schneider is established here and is likely to get top dollar from Allen. It just doesn't seem realistic that he wouldn't sign at this point.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Other than his time at SoCal, why is there this growing speculation that Pete would want to return to LA? Does he have family there that would warrant that move?

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2dmkp2jq said:
It's not so much worrying as it is bizarre. Clayton just guessing what it all means doesn't help either.

I can't imagine Pete wanting to walk away from a team that has everything in place to be a contender -- plus his own home grown QB -- to go coach a team with a rookie, unknown quantity QB he didn't select just because they're in LA. That would mean being in LA was more important to Pete than winning -- and that goes against his entire mantra.

I suspect Pete will retire after this gig anyway.

Ditto John Schneider. Unless he's been sounded out about taking over in Green Bay next year it makes little sense not to just get the new deal done.

So maybe Schneider is going to GB and maybe Pete retires?

But that doesn't seem all that likely either.

Wish it would get sorted just to stop the media speculating.

Yes, bizarre is better than worry at this point. Good point.

They have had the last 6 months to get it done. Just odd.

HawkGA

Reaction score
edogg23":m9zsgf4h said:
It is a little concerning to me. John and Pete have made Paul truckloads of money by making this team what it is.

Since there is no salary cap, there is no reason why these deals shouldn't be done already unless John or Pete don't want to come back, in which case there is case for major concern.

Technically not true. Not saying this is the case, but it is a negotiation so I'm sure Pete and John could very well be asking for a lot of money. To say that they have made Paul Allen a tone of money doesn't mean that they might not still be asking for ridiculous amounts of money. Again, not saying that's the case but just to remind that it is a negotiation so anything goes. It isn't likely to be cut and dry.

edogg23

Reaction score
HawkGA":jky7y0zl said:
edogg23":jky7y0zl said:

Technically not true. Not saying this is the case, but it is a negotiation so I'm sure Pete and John could very well be asking for a lot of money. To say that they have made Paul Allen a tone of money doesn't mean that they might not still be asking for ridiculous amounts of money. Again, not saying that's the case but just to remind that it is a negotiation so anything goes. It isn't likely to be cut and dry.

What is a ridiculous amount of money though? Even if they both want to be the highest paid by 2 million a year over the next closest GM/Coach, the difference in revenue between a last place team and a super bowl contender would far exceed that so it's still really a no brainer.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Well, one of the first rules of negotiating is to never be the first to throw out a number. So we could be in that stage. Pete and John might be waiting for Allen to throw out the first number. You're also assuming that the 2 million will get it done. If Allen threw out highest paid plus $2 million, Pete and John would be fools to not ask for $4 million. We also don't know (but perhaps Allen and Schneider do) what the highest paid GM is. There might also be pressure from the other owners not to set the bar too high. Keep in mind, Schneider's never even been GM of the year before (yes, that last part was just pure snark!).

kearly

Reaction score
The fact that we aren't hearing anything at all makes me think that negotiations are ongoing. It is weird that they are taking so long though.

I don't pretend to know what Pete's goals are. I do have a hunch that Seattle won't be the last team he coaches, and that he'd probably like to end things in California. Going to another NFL team, especially one in the division, seems like a big stretch. It would tarnish the most impressive chapter of coaching his legacy. But then again, Pete is always signing short contract extensions in Seattle, which has me wondering if he's big into keeping his options open. He came to Seattle on a lark, I wouldn't totally rule out him leaving on a lark either.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Training Camp is a natural deadline and agents and lawyers love to use deadlines to get things done. So I think there's some time before it's time to worry a little. I expect resolution may come pretty quickly but if not then there MIGHT be some reason to worry a bit.

chris98251

Reaction score
When they want to do it, it will happen didn't take long to lock both up the last time when they decided to do it, in fact they waited to get both done before the announcement.

I can see Pete going in looking at the number and years, signing and saying were good and leaving just about that fast.

Latest posts