Simon Starting at RCB

HawkGA

Reaction score
Did we know this?

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/footba ... n-program/

but Carroll has since declared Simon healthy and reported that he has taken "all the snaps" opposite Richard Sherman with the Seahawks' first-team defense. Jeremy Lane was expected to be in the mix to start outside, but has reportedly only worked out of nickel and dime packages during the offseason program. Thus, the starting job appears to be Simon's to lose.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Pretty lengthy article there...would have expected some sort of substantiation from another source, or even an author's name attached. Interesting.

Laloosh

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":1twn7b1o said:
Pretty lengthy article there...would have expected some sort of substantiation from another source, or even an author's name attached. Interesting.

Seattle Times mentioned but not linked. Seattle Times sports page has no article on Simon (that I saw).

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
I wonder if it is because Nickel is effectively the base defense.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":2jnzk7ax said:

Well, it is an article from an Oregon newspaper so . . ., you know, standards are a little lower.

Expecting JSeahawk to chime in to defend Oregon in 3, 2, 1 . . .

vin.couve12

Reaction score
This is probably just an issue of education by whomever is reporting this. Lane still moves down into the nickel when we bring in a 3rd CB so I'm sure some fool is sitting there saying, "Lane isn't starting."

It's Lane's job to lose and he'll still play nickel on a lot of slot WRs depending on matchups.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
HawkGA":9157btiy said:
CHawkTailGator":9157btiy said:

Well, it is an article from an Oregon newspaper so . . ., you know, standards are a little lower. . . .
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Largent80

Reaction score
One has to remember that Simon has done nothing but get scorched in the superbowl in his injury plagued career.

That doesn't mean he can't actually make something of himself, but so far if we are to look at his body of work, it leaves a lot to be desired.

Hawks46

Reaction score
We have far too much good young CB depth to waste on a guy that can't stay on the field.

It's possible the coaching staff is putting him there to see if he can handle more reps. He gets hurt this time, he's probably done.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2dufg1hl said:
This is probably just an issue of education by whomever is reporting this. Lane still moves down into the nickel when we bring in a 3rd CB so I'm sure some fool is sitting there saying, "Lane isn't starting."

It's Lane's job to lose and he'll still play nickel on a lot of slot WRs depending on matchups.

Excellent point. In the nickel packages, Lane is likely to move down to nickel with Simon playing RCB. This is because Lane has the versatility to play either nickel or boundary corner at a high level, while Simon is purely a boundary corner.

If Burley breaks out and plays at a higher level than Simon during training camp, then Lane could stay at RCB. Of course, we know that Pete prefers taller corners at every position, even nickel. Simon will get the first crack at starting in those defensive alignments. They will try to develop Smith into the next Lane, giving him versatility at both spots, though he may be better at boundary. Shead is a virtual swiss army knife, capable of playing at a replacement level at basically every secondary position.

kearly

Reaction score
If they want Simon to play, he pretty much has to play as an outside corner. Lane is most ideal in the slot. It makes sense to try Simon outside as plan A. That's what this time of year is all about.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I seem to remember Richard Sherman saying something about Simon being the most physically gifted CB they have hands down. So if he can just stay healthy it makes sense that they will give him every chance to start and hope he succeeds.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Simon replacing Lane? Somehow I doubt it, but he did replace Lane in XLIX. He's certainly talented enough to be a starter but can he stay healthy?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I am not worried on July 18th that Simon is listed as #1 RCB, if week one rolls around in September and he's the #1 RCB I'll be concerned. Like someone else said it's likely his last shot here at starting, and a poop or get off the pot situation is most likely at hand.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
Sherman carefullly mentions that Simon is the most physically gifted CB they may have.....what's he's not saying is Simon is the most fluent in football knowledge, maturity etc....

The LOB is about trust, swagger and confidence.....Simon seems to have Swagger, but I don't trust him and I see teams gaining confidence against our pass defense if he somehow actually makes the roster.

Simon's problems are upstairs IMO.....I don't see him avoiding the chatter, avoiding having others talk to him....having him lose his focus.....my recollection was he stopped competing in the Super Bowl, which is a much crunch time as anything else. As much as the "injury" last year occurred, I think PC and JS put Simon on ice last year to buy him a "redshirt" season, giving him time to cool off, get healthy, get his mind right and to finally show up to camp healthy and ready to go.

I would prefer Simon getting a couple of personal fouls and holding penalties vs watching Cary Williams last year, but I don't see Simon making anyone else's roster, except the specific role he has with us as boundary CB.... I don't think Simon makes this roster and I see one of the up and coming unknowns making the roster and digesting the playbook and playing within the team concept of absorbing the knowledge that Sherman/Kam and Earl can provide. I don't see Simon maturing in time to be serviceable, and I had the highest hopes for him after draft day.

If PC and JS can rebuild Simon and make him a serviceable 2 CB that can make plays with a target of the opposing coaching staffs on him, I'd tell Paul Allen to make out a blank check for whatever Pete wants at that point. If he can get Simon mentally matured and dialed in and focused, PC is worth 15M a year.

ivotuk

Reaction score
This is all my speculation from things I've seen and heard, but Tharold I think, looks up to the LOB and tries to play extra tough.

Listening to Byron Maxwell 2 years ago, he was laughing kind of half-heartedly and said that during the game Simon "was killing the boy," talking about an opposing receiver. So I think he tries to substitute toughness where he doesn't need to. He has almost elite ability, and would be a fantastic DB if he would learn his position better, and play within the scheme.

My guess is that he tries too hard, and his mind takes his body where it isn't able to go, hence the injuries. Except for his feet, I think those are just injuries from a big man moving like he does, and that they may be good now that they've been "repaired."

Personally, I think he could be elite, a top 20 DB in this league, and fortunately, Pete is giving him every chance to reach his potential.

If Tharold Simon can make it through 16 games, I see a Superbowl win, because opposite of Sherman is what needs to be covered to make like tough on opposing passing games.