Pre-season

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
So with pre-season right around the corner, I've been thinking. What kind of pre-season play can we expect this year? 2013 the team was obviously the deepest team in the league and pre-season showed it. Last year pre-season was a bit ugly and it was reflected in the team's start.

Which kind of pre-season are you expecting? I think they win all 4 pre-season games because I think Boykin is good enough to dominate the backups and the defense is looking deep again.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I'm really excited to see what Boykin can do. Last year with Archer it was abominable and it only got interesting when they stuck Daniels in.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I think we'll see a lot of energy, the starters on the sidelines coaching and cheering the young guys on. Sherman will always be in the middle of the action.

As long nobody gets seriously injured, I'll consider the pre season a success. If people start getting concerned over a 2-2 pre season, they aren't focusing on the big picture

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Haha yeah the R.J. Archer thing was weird last year. Boykin should be interesting to watch. He'll get a lot of snaps.

kearly

Reaction score
Unfortunately, we have Jake Heaps to play the role of RJ Archer, while Vernon Adams heads off to the CFL. Boykin will play the role of Tjack. I'd expect this preseason to look a lot like last year's preseason. 2-2.

I'm looking forward to seeing some individual players play, but after Wilson leaves each game it will be pretty ugly.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
You can't say they didn't get a good long look at Vernon Adams. If he was more NFL ready than Jake Heaps he'd be on the roster, right?

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
Pete wants to win every game and will have the players wanting it too!!! 1-0 each week!

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I expect we'll see a lot of guys that play well that end up playing for other teams after the cutdown to 53.

Willyeye

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1wl8ypbv said:
You can't say they didn't get a good long look at Vernon Adams. If he was more NFL ready than Jake Heaps he'd be on the roster, right?

First of all, they didn't even sign Vernon. He was in Seattle only on a tryout basis for rookie minicamp. I think with Vernon Adams they were just being nice to him. Heaps and Boykin were signed before minicamp. Even CFL teams weren't knocking down Heaps' door to sign him. Adams on the other hand had a potential career with the Redskins or in the CFL. I think the Hawks didn't want to hold him up from what might come in his life.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Willyeye":1shi2i3r said:
I think the Hawks didn't want to hold him up from what might come in his life.

Balderdash. If the Seahawks offered Vernon Adams a shot to just be on an NFL practice squad he would jump at that over the CFL.

jonkchar

Reaction score
Us Seahawks fans are the best. I remember watching those preseason games last year with the same intensity as watching any other Seahawks game. We were cheering a dude named Archer, and I don't even remember anything else about him!

Hawks46

Reaction score
I think we'll go 3-1.

We have insane depth right now, and there's a lot of guys that are 2nd string that will get a lot of time. The WR corps is going to be better than most teams' 2nd and 3rd string secondaries, while our DL and RB's will also be dominating their respective opponents.

I think we'll see the OL with some extended play. Almost everyone is in a new spot and needs reps. That will help guys like Collins, Prosise and Brooks look like pre season All Pro's.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1qwsox87 said:

Jake is nothing but a camp arm

RiverDog

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":1wmj2mow said:
So with pre-season right around the corner, I've been thinking. What kind of pre-season play can we expect this year? 2013 the team was obviously the deepest team in the league and pre-season showed it. Last year pre-season was a bit ugly and it was reflected in the team's start.

Which kind of pre-season are you expecting? I think they win all 4 pre-season games because I think Boykin is good enough to dominate the backups and the defense is looking deep again.

Good topic. Last year during the preseason, the OL was horrible in pass protection almost from the first snap, and it continued for the first 9 games into the regular season and was the major contributing factor in our slow start that took us out of contention for both HFA and the division title. Pete kept telling us that it would take time for the new players on the OL to 'gel', but they never really did and we embarked on a new offensive philosophy of short, quick passes before the offense started scoring points.

So with a completely revamped offensive line and a different offensive philosophy already in place, it will be interesting to see if our preseason performance is any better than last years.

I'm not big into winning preseason games or rolling up a bunch of meaningless stats, but I do want to see Russell not having to run for his life the moment the ball is snapped. That's what I'll be watching for.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Agreed Riverdog. Only thing I will be paying attention to is the Oline in the preseason.

and I hate focusing on the oline!

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I'll be watching the center position. Last preseason Russ was playing short stop back there attempting to track down the snaps. How can he read the defense while having to find the ball?