Cap Question

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
How does a player who is injured affect the cap? If at all. What about when on PUP list. If suspended does that clear cap room? Just curious.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
If injured the player retains his same cap number, likewise on PUP.

I honestly don't know what happens to the cap when a player is suspended but somehow I doubt it changes anything except for his payday. I'd suppose however the team might get that money back as prorated.

Basis4day

Reaction score
jammerhawk":5l84c2x8 said:
If injured the player retains his same cap number, likewise on PUP.

I honestly don't know what happens to the cap when a player is suspended but somehow I doubt it changes anything except for his payday. I'd suppose however the team might get that money back as prorated.

A players' base salary received for weeks missed does not count against the cap while under suspension.

I forget if base salary is apportioned over the 16 games played or 17 weeks of the regular season. Close enough to not matter too much in the discussion.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":2mf9dxed said:
How does a player who is injured affect the cap? If at all. What about when on PUP list. If suspended does that clear cap room? Just curious.
During the off-season, after the new league year starts, only the top 51 contracts count towards the cap. Once the regular season begins, ALL contracts count towards a team's cap (active roster, practice squad, IR, PUP, NFI, etc.). This is to prevent teams from hoarding/stashing players on reserve lists, particularly with 'wink wink' injuries.