If you could only keep one: which one? Pete or John

You can only keep one: which one? Pete or John

• Pete

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • John

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Laaaaaa LAA LAA LAA I cannot hear you !!

Votes: 15 25.4%

• Total voters

byau

Reaction score
Congrats on both guys extensions... SO HAPPY!! (as discussed in other threads!!)

So here's the hypothetical, if you could only keep one (in a vacuum, the other does not go to your worst NFL enemy or anything like that) ... which one?

I'd have to say Pete

John finds the guys, Pete coaches them.

And I would prefer Pete coaching in a not-as-good-guy-brought-in by non-John then vice versa

what say you?

mikeak

Reaction score
While I normally like theoretical discussions I find it strange to ask this question just as they were both renewed...

I would rather have Schneider extend again when their new contracts are up since at some point PC will run out of steam...

chris98251

Reaction score
Keep John, Pete moves to President of Football Operations and Kris Richard becomes Head Coach, I want it all plus the cherry on top.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":15auin22 said:
Keep John, Pete moves to President of Football Operations and Kris Richard becomes Head Coach, I want it all plus the cherry on top.
I dig it. :2thumbs:

hawker84

Reaction score
Pete. Love John, but Pete's the force that drives this championship culture we enjoy so much year in and year out.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
Pete and there's absolutely no question to me. He's the one that brought the philosophy, culture and he identified and coached up a lot of our key defenders to have success they may not have had elsewhere in different systems.

Carroll actually altered the way that other NFL teams look at defense, what type of players to draft (long, lanky vs. quick, fast); and when you can have a real impact on the league that means you are doing something right.

I don't see anyone altering their scheme to adjust to or copy Kelly's supposed brilliant offensive system that was predicted to revolutionize the NFL (just as a counter example).

I personally think Carroll's defensive genius is underrated around the league. There's a reason we've had the #1 scoring defense 4 years in a row with 3 different coordinators. I hope by the time he retires people will have caught on.

HawkGA

Reaction score
If all else was equal, probably Pete, but given their ages, John is the no-brainer. Plus, you can hope that John would pick a good coach. Can't necessarily know that Pete would get a good GM.

kearly

Reaction score
I'm assuming that Pete has 7-10 coaching years left in the tank, if he chooses to spend all those years here then I would sooner depart from JS than Pete.

It's almost like asking which is more important, the owner of the restaurant or the head chef? The owner buys the ingredients and has more control than the chef, but it's the caliber of the head chef that typically makes or breaks a restaurant.

If Pete left tomorrow, I think it would probably impact JS as well. You look at GM driven teams and while you do have some successes like Green Bay and Baltimore, the best GM driven teams tend to be less dominant than the best coach driven teams. And as good as JS is, Seattle is a coach driven team.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
While I would really hate to have make this choice in real life, I would have to go with John. Pete is coming to the end of his career and John has 20 years to go. He will be the guy that will have say in the next head coach. Given what he and Pete have done together I'm sure some of Pete's philosophy has rubbed off on him.

It boils down to longevity.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I'm glad there is no reality base (for now) in this question, because I think they both make the other better. It's a great relationship they have here, but Pete is the one who brought the systems here. Pete is the one who chose Schneider, not the other way around. Everything is based on Pete's philosophy. I would choose Pete.

With that said, I think (and hope) that Schneider will be here much longer than Pete. I don't know if Richard will be THE guy or not (time will tell) but I would hope that Pete grooms his replacement and they would continue on working with Schneider in a similar way as we are doing now.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I'm glad we kept both because they are both integral parts to our success but if I had to choose I'd pick John simply because of Pete nearing the end of his career.

kearly

Reaction score
I think the recent contract extensions of Pete and John are very telling. The fact that they both signed at essentially the same time as a package deal means that they are in a bit of a co-dependent relationship. Pete is proven that he can have success anywhere he wants. John has had success when playing a supporting role behind Ted Thompson and Pete Carroll. We don't really know what a team would be like with John Schneider taking the lead.

My hope is that post-Carroll, JS would reach out towards a super stud HC (probably from the college ranks) which would allow JS to remain in a support role where he has had so much success. I would much rather remain a coach driven team if possible and lean on John Schneider's flexibility and humility as a supporting cast member. Having JS take over as "the guy" and then promoting someone like Kris Richard to head coach simply because it's his turn doesn't historically fit the mold of how to build a dominant team. Almost all of the greatest NFL teams had a great head coach running them.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
This is kind of like asking, which would you rather keep, your left arm or right arm. Pete, I would argue is the dominant hand while John is the supporting hand. If you are right handed your right hand is the dominant hand but they work in tandem with the left hand supporting and enhancing the other hand.

Pete and John are the right and left hands of the franchise. They work perfectly in tandem with each other.

nrayorr

Reaction score
chris98251":1hfptld9 said:

:ditto:

This sounds VERY good to me.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawker84":25plhgll said:
Pete. Love John, but Pete's the force that drives this championship culture we enjoy so much year in and year out.

This.

Although Pete's age makes this question very very close for me. Theoretically we'd have John longer due to his age.

But yes, Pete IS the reason for the culture of winning, competition that permeates every inch of the facility, from the top down.

edogg23

Reaction score
Has to be John, he can be the GM for the team for the next 30 years while Pete's window can't be nearly as long.

LolaRox

Reaction score
Definitely Pete.

I would hate lose either. John is fantastic, but this is Pete's show.

bighawk

Reaction score
This is to easy for me this team has Pete written all over it. Pete is loved by all his players college & pro he has his on style he is unique and special. There is no one like Pete. Don't get me wrong John is special and he does great work but Pete is the man.