Current Salary Cap vs. Projected Cap

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
This is for cap nerds mostly so if you are part of the 94% of folks who really don't care you can move on.

Once the off-season ends, the makeup of the salary cap changes. Right now only the top-51 out of 92 contracts count towards the salary cap. After final cuts ALL contracts count, including injured players and practice squad players. The final roster totals 65 - 70 players. However, among the cuts are players with higher salaries, which will bring the dollars down. This leads some amateur capolgoists to try to project what the final cap total will be once the season starts.

In order to do this you must make guesses about a couple of very important things:

1) Who will make up the final 53 man roster
2) Who will be put on injured reserve.

Both of these things can swing very dramatically. Take for example Patrick Lewis. HIs salary is $1.67M, which is pretty substantial compared to some of the other o-linemen competing for a spot. So just that one position could make a $1,000,000 or bigger swing on the final cap total. Lewis could end up our starting center, or he could be released. We don't know just yet.

To me, it's an issue of over thinking things. Right now the team sits at $9.2M or so in cap room after Clemons left. The Seahawks have enough room to make whatever roster moves they need to throughout the camp and into the season. They could even do a deal with Michael Bennett if they were so inclined. The Seahawks have flexibility.

By comparison, the Chiefs have about $225K in cap room. They have no flexibility unless they change an existing contract.

Or you could be the 49ers. They have over $49 MILLION in cap space, and a shitty roster. I'm much happier rooting for a team that puts it's money on the field.

In the end, the Seahawks could have $3M left going into the season of they could have $8M+. It doesn't really matter in the end. The important thing is they have the tools to get through the season, and probably carry a good chunk of change into 2017.

When you look at Spotrac or OTC or any other site with cap info it helps to put that information into some sort of context. Cap totals are like wins and losses. We can predict and speculate but we don't ever know for sure what the future holds.

original poster

Reaction score
I love cap discussions.

We all know JS works ahead of time so has a damn good plan with regards to the cap. I'd love to see us carry some over to next year but wouldn't be disappointed in the slightest if we used every penny to keep MB happy.

We have a little bit of flexibility which is great.

Although, I thought it was only the top 51 contracts out of 53 that counted against the cap?

sutz

Reaction score
Did they recoup any money from Clemons after his retirement, do you know? I guess normally they may not do that, but not much risk of Clemons playing elsewhere this year without team compensation.

Just wondering.

original poster

Reaction score
From what I read on Twitter, they've saved betwee 900K and 1.2M (depending on who you speak to) on the cap by his retirement.

chris98251

Reaction score
This is whats hard for me to understand, I thought teams are suppose to spend upwards to 90 percent of the cap allotment now based on the last bargaining talks, if that's true how can the 49ers get away with 49 million in space.

kidhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":2ehq4u0j said:
This is whats hard for me to understand, I thought teams are suppose to spend upwards to 90 percent of the cap allotment now based on the last bargaining talks, if that's true how can the 49ers get away with 49 million in space.

I don't remember the specifics, exactly, the the current CBA has a clause that stipulates a sort of fine system for teams that don't meet that criteria. Let me look it up and I'll post it when I find it.

ok after a bit of digging through the CBA I found what I was looking for:

Section 9. Minimum Team Cash Spending:

(a) For each of the following four-League Year periods, 2013–2016 and
2017–2020, there shall be a guaranteed Minimum Team Cash Spending of 89% of the
Salary Caps for such periods (e.g., if the Salary Caps for the 2013–16 and 2017–2020 are
$100, 120, 130, and 150 million, respectively, each Club shall have a Minimum Team
Cash Spending for that period of $445 million (89% of $500 million))

(b) Any shortfall in the Minimum Team Cash Spending at the end of a
League Year in which it is applicable (i.e., the 2016 and 2020 League Years) shall be paid,
on or before the next September 15, by the Team having such shortfall, directly to the
players who were on such a Team’s roster at any time during the applicable seasons,
pursuant to the reasonable allocation instructions of the NFLPA.

chris98251

Reaction score
kidhawk":1bn0wk85 said:
chris98251":1bn0wk85 said:

I don't remember the specifics, exactly, the the current CBA has a clause that stipulates a sort of fine system for teams that don't meet that criteria. Let me look it up and I'll post it when I find it.

Cool that would be informative if nothing else a good memory jog.

kidhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":2we0x902 said:
kidhawk":2we0x902 said:
chris98251":2we0x902 said:

Cool that would be informative if nothing else a good memory jog.

Basically, my understanding from the quoted text out of the CBA, it appears that they must meet the minimum over the course of 2013-2016 and if they don't, then teams that were below would payout to players who were on those teams in a way that is deemed appropriate

Also, I believe if a team carries over the cap from year to year (I assume the niners have done so), and the caps have totaled $500 million, then any team within $55 million of the cap is above the floor. I could be wrong but that's how I'm reading it.