Jordan Hill

hawknation2016

Reaction score
It's cool to see Jordan Hill working with the first team defense, alongside Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett and Ahtyba Rubin. Hill would give the Seahawks a "true" 3-technique DT, capable of consistently penetrating into the backfield and rushing the passer, something they have not had in the starting base defense in a long time. Last season, Rubin and Mebane alternated playing the 3DT, though neither was a natural 3-tech penetrator. McDaniel started at the position in 2013 and 2014, but he was also never much of a consistent pass rusher. McDonald was the prototype, at least on paper, but he only started two games.

So it's kind of cool to think about the possibility of getting a little more penetration and pass rush from that spot. Lack of interior penetration has been a problem at times, at least when Bennett is not lining up inside. They also plan to use Frank Clark all over the line. Clark is too light to be considered a prototypical three-tech, but he has all the other characteristics you would look for in terms of length, nose for the ball, and explosiveness off the line.

Hill's problem has been injuries and, until last season, run stopping ability. But he improved so much against the run that it's nice to see him earn an opportunity out there with the first team in the base defense.

Of course, there is a lot of training camp and preseason left before the first game. I expect to see a lot of mix and matching to find the best combinations. Jarran Reed could be too good not to play on base downs. Sealver Siliga could breakout; as we saw in Super Bowl XLIX, he can be a force at the three technique. Quinton Jefferson and Brandin Bryant are two really good looking prospects at the three technique. The depth and competition is pretty amazing.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
A make or break season for Hill.

I don't remember him making any plays last season. He really broke out the season before but was very quiet last year.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I'm just not sure about him. We have Jarran Reed who definitely is the better run defender on base downs and Quinton Jefferson looks to be quiet the revelation as an inside guy in nickel packages. If he plays his best, sure why not but this looks just as much as a last chance type of thing as Britt's move to center.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Overseasfan":2ll6s1ss said:
I'm just not sure about him. We have Jarran Reed who definitely is the better run defender on base downs and Quinton Jefferson looks to be quiet the revelation as an inside guy in nickel packages. If he plays his best, sure why not but this looks just as much as a last chance type of thing as Britt's move to center.

Devil's advocate: Neither Reed nor Jefferson has played a down in an NFL regular season game. I think we know what we have with Reed, but Jefferson doesn't qualify as a "revelation" at all, yet.

We need a penetrator at DT, especially on passing downs. Now, I would not be shocked to see Jefferson push Hill out, but he is going to have to show it on the field when it matters and not just in shells in camp.

I am wondering which Jordan Hill will show up this season. The 5.5 sacks in 6 games Hill from 2014, or the clearly injury affected Hill from 2015 who was a ghost?

kearly

Reaction score
Hill has done a good job transforming himself from a Craig Terrell type the first couple years to a jack of all trades type last year. In college he was a classic jack of all trades type of DT, so it's good to see him remembering who he is, even if he is only currently an average NFL player. He's a nice player to have for depth as is and has the quickness to improve towards being Mebane-light. I never take improvement for granted or expect it out of young players without good reason, but in the case of DT we've seen a lot of DTs come through our defense and show year to year growth and development.

Jefferson will probably follow a similar career path, starting off as a Craig Terrell type. Jefferson's tape in college reminded me of Rocky Bernard, hopefully at some point he can be that player in the NFL as well.