Tharold Simon will be better than Richard Sherman

raisethe3

Reaction score
Seahawks 30 under 30: Tharold Simon will be better than Richard Sherman, according to Richard Sherman

e Seattle Seahawks have a very good roster, but what's especially nice and hopeful about their team is that the vast majority of current Seahawks are young and signed through 2017, at least. This series leading up to the regular season opener on September 11 will take a closer look at 30 such players, all of whom won't be turning 30 this year.

Player: Tharold Simon, CB

How acquired: Fifth round pick (138th overall) out of LSU in 2013

Free agent: 2017

There is a significant amount of fan admiration for Simon, the 6'2, 200 lb corner out of DBU who has flashed greatness when healthy, but has not yet been healthy enough to really make his mark on the field. Instead, Simon has become more of a legend of sorts, a cautionary tale you tell to young receivers at night that if they don't practice run-blocking and route-running, "Simon's gonna get a healthy toe and come running after you!"

Bad news then for those receivers: Simon hasn't missed a snap all offseason and has been getting reps as the starting right corner in the Seahawks base defense.

Source: http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/8/3/1227 ... rold-simon

I'm sure we all heard this before, but honestly, talent is one thing. But doing it is another.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
raisethe3":296xi66t said:
Seahawks 30 under 30: Tharold Simon will be better than Richard Sherman, according to Richard Sherman

e Seattle Seahawks have a very good roster, but what's especially nice and hopeful about their team is that the vast majority of current Seahawks are young and signed through 2017, at least. This series leading up to the regular season opener on September 11 will take a closer look at 30 such players, all of whom won't be turning 30 this year.

Player: Tharold Simon, CB

How acquired: Fifth round pick (138th overall) out of LSU in 2013

Free agent: 2017

There is a significant amount of fan admiration for Simon, the 6'2, 200 lb corner out of DBU who has flashed greatness when healthy, but has not yet been healthy enough to really make his mark on the field. Instead, Simon has become more of a legend of sorts, a cautionary tale you tell to young receivers at night that if they don't practice run-blocking and route-running, "Simon's gonna get a healthy toe and come running after you!"

Bad news then for those receivers: Simon hasn't missed a snap all offseason and has been getting reps as the starting right corner in the Seahawks base defense.

Source: http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/8/3/1227 ... rold-simon

I'm sure we all heard this before, but honestly, talent is one thing. But doing it is another.
I think Sherm is trying to inspire Simon, as this might be his last shot.

I remeber Ken Griffey Jr once say his brother Craig was a better baseball player than he was. Jr is on the HOF, his brother never played an inning in MLB.

seabowl

Reaction score
This just in: Richard Sherman has just been hired to be the agent for Tharold Simon.

What a bunch of malarkey

dadof3

Reaction score
Maybe he is better.............................at ping pong

Lithium

Reaction score
Psshh what year are we on now with him? He's just there. Never done anything to impress me.

sutz

Reaction score
Simon has skills. Not Sherm skills, maybe. He just needs to stay healthy for a season or three.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sherm has made similar claims about Simon 2 years ago. He's just reminding us since he's healthy....this week.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
just trying to pump his tires a bit. Simon is better...at doing that push off gesture every time he gets burned on a pass...

Seafan

Reaction score
Simon, Hill, Marsh, Britt, KPL, Richardson. It's time to step up. Anything the Hawks can get from these guys will be gravy.

kearly

Reaction score
I love the optimism. If Simon could even manage to be Sherman-lite, then you could probably punch your ticket for February football. Dominant pass defenses have been extremely well represented in the past several Super Bowls.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Simon might have the build and even the skills it takes to be like Sherm. But I doubt he has the will. And that is most important part and the hardest area to learn.

Largent80

Reaction score
Don't you actually have to play in games to be good?

And when he has played in games, he hasn't been good.

ivotuk

Reaction score
He has the physical attributes, and has looked really good in games at times, but I think that scouting video on the linked page says it all. He needs to learn discipline, but, I think his injuries have forced him in to discipline, and he's at the point where he's willing to do whatever it takes to be successful.

If he stays healthy, I would trade him for a high pick at the end of the season. Or play out his rookie contract, because we won't be able to afford to re-sign him.

He could be the key to another SuperB Owl victory this coming February.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Largent80":1j9itn1s said:
Don't you actually have to play in games to be good?

And when he has played in games, he hasn't been good.

Honestly, I don't buy this. He's made good plays in regular season games. And even in the SB, he did make some really good plays.

I'm inclined to not dismiss his quality because he ended up having to pay for Carroll's mistake in only having one slot CB on the roster when you're facing a Pats team that would put 4 slot WRs in the game if they could get away with it. He was thrown into really an impossible assignment having to guard a pro bowl qualilty slot guy when physically it's his most challenging type to cover.

I don't think he's better than Sherman. But I think the dude has talent and he's flashed it on multiple plays. We just only remember the championship losing plays and stain his value with that as a result.

McGruff

Reaction score
TwilightError":1vye6p1i said:
Simon might have the build and even the skills it takes to be like Sherm. But I doubt he has the will. And that is most important part and the hardest area to learn.

I think this is the key.

When at LSU Simon made the infamous "dog list" provided by the LSU coaching staff to NFL scouts of players with poor work ethic. Effort has always been his issue.

Media reports are saying that seems to have changed. Maybe he's going through a Christine Michael soul searching resurgence.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Let's see what happens with Simon, it's make or break time for him.

Sherman sees the physical abilities of this player who could develop into a special player if he could just stay healthy. Unfortunately for him and us that has not been the case so far. I suspect Sherm is simply encouraging the younger player, in who he sees the raw ability to be special, to raise his effort. Hyperbole, no doubt. Sure would be nice if it were true.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I've really liked what I've seen of Tharold when he's been played as a boundary corner - long, smooth, and aggressive.

The Super Bowl was an unfortunate situation where he was tasked with sticking with Edelman and Amendola on option routes - a very very tough ask of any long bodied CB, Sherm/Peterson/Cromartie included. The Jeremy Lane injury combined with not dressing Marcus Burley was game changing.

daveyoung52

Reaction score
Agree completely, people seem to forget this, and he had a seperated shoulder.Rooting for youTharold.

Fade

Reaction score
qKSn2LB-Imgur.gif

Latest posts