Center and RB cuts?

SpencerRW3

Reaction score
Simple question:

How many running backs and centers do we keep, who stays and who goes? Just curious because I saw projections for the 53 man roster where all 3 centers make the cut and almost all RBs

Stays RB: Rawls, Cottom, Collins, CJ Prosise
Gone: Zac Brooks, C-Mike

Stays C: Justin Britt, Patrick Lewis
Gone: Joey Hunt

OP
OP
S

SpencerRW3

Reaction score
Feel free to discuss any other position groups that have a lot of players vying for one spot.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I see it similar. 5 RBs, 2 OCs.

I don't see Britt as only a center. I could see him still remaining on this team if they go Lewis/Hunt. Britt has experience at both OG and OT. Worth keeping as a utility guy who can play 4 of the 5 positions. He's a better Paul McQuistan type.

I honestly think he's not going to start at OC. I expect he'll play his way out of the starting OL and we'll keep Lewis to provide solid, but unspectacular play. Britt could be the #2 OC, #2RG and #2 RT on the depth chart and be worth keeping.

I think Hunt goes to the PS. There weren't many teams looking at him in the draft. Doubt they'll want to carry him on the active 53. So a pretty safe stash.

McGruff

Reaction score
SpencerRW3":3ngur8oe said:
Simple question:

How many running backs and centers do we keep, who stays and who goes? Just curious because I saw projections for the 53 man roster where all 3 centers make the cut and almost all RBs

Britt may stay as a utility linemen listed as a center, so I can see keeping Lewis, Hunt and Britt.

The team will keep at least 5 backs . . . so one of Michael or Brooks will make it.

Seymour

Reaction score
I've been hearing that Michael is having a great camp and has made a lot of progress compared to a year ago. This was in a Sherman Smith interview I heard a couple days ago.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I suspect the team will keep all the C prospects.

CMike is playing for a roster spot, Zac Brooks is the competition. Brooks has a better shot than the others of clearing waivers to the PS. The wildcard is how Prosise responds to this latest setback, he could wind up on IR if the setbacks continue.

ACFan

Reaction score
It's looking like the 5th round pick Collins is a cinch to make the final cut and could be pretty high in the rotation for the pre season games.

That'd give him a chance to go against the better defenses, 1st and 2nd string in the first half of games.

I'm anxious to see how that goes, I fully expect him to show every down, NFL starting RB-like ability, right out of the gate, assuming he is picking up the offense well enough, and he should be, smart guy and hard worker.

I never really played fantasy football, but AC could be a good pick this year.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Cottom carted off field. Non contact injury.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/761260097980870656[/tweet]

Damn

also:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/761260750471966720[/tweet]

McGruff

Reaction score
Always feel bad for injuries. Tough break for those guys.

But FB's are a dime a dozen, and who is Ronnie Shields?

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
If all the RB's are good, I wonder if they would stash someone with niggling injuries like Prosise on IR to save space?

Erebus

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2o1ivshw said:
If all the RB's are good, I wonder if they would stash someone with niggling injuries like Prosise on IR to save space?

I don't know about that. Prosise has a different skill set than the other RBs, so I think IR would be a last resort if they aren't likely to get anything out of him this year.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Not really any point in carrying 5 RBS unless one of them is a FB. Unless they're major contributors to ST some teams just carry 3 RBs.

Do teams only get one IR designated to return spot?

Maybe Rawls or Prossie sit through weeks 6 to 8 (two weeks of practice lead up) to get an extended look at someone else.

McGruff

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3mjfnkk5 said:
Not really any point in carrying 5 RBS unless one of them is a FB. Unless they're major contributors to ST some teams just carry 3 RBs.

Maybe Rawls or Prossie sit through weeks 6 to 8 (two weeks of practice lead up) to get an extended look at someone else.

One of them will be a fullback. Pending injury that guy is Cottom right now.

Erebus

Reaction score
I think our offense works much better without a FB. I don't have anything against Cottom, but I'm not rooting for a FB to make the team at the expense of a better player just because he's a FB. I'd rather see Rawls, Prosise, Collins, and either C-Mike or Brooks make the team.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Popeyejones":20fq7t3q said:

Yes, they only get one. But Rawls is still PUP eligible since he hasn't practiced and is on pre-season PUP.

I doubt they would use IR designation for Prosise if he gets another injury. I'd save it for a clear starter.

kf3339

Reaction score
SpencerRW3":tlk0h0wo said:
Simple question:

They're not cutting Hunt. There was too much effort in getting him by this team during the draft. My guess is he is at the minimum the main backup with starting potential by the latter part of this season. If not sooner.

Donn2390

Reaction score
SpencerRW3":3vn8p2ij said:
Simple question:

I sure don't agree with C-Mike being gone, from all I see and hear he will be making a strong bid for number 2. this is a whole new C-Mike, he is now the guy they drafted high a couple of years ago. He just needed to grow up and get serious, and he has......

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3nhsk5i7 said:

At this point it's highly unlikely.

Procise would have to clear waivers. For a player who has a significant injury -- this is more likely. Procise's injury is not severe and should be cleared up by the start of the season. Any team could claim him and keep him until the final cutdown.

Seattle doesn't have a lot of options with him but to wait him out. And if he gets hurt before the season starts -- then try to get him to clear waivers (when any team that claims him has to keep him on the active roster for 3 weeks).

Seattle could also just keep him on the active. We've committed active roster slots for projects before.