Hawks' Big Gamble -- Any News Of Gilliam?

chet380

Reaction score
With GG's very quick rise to the pre-eminent OL position, I have to confess some worry -- with the NFC West's ferocious pass D's, is he going to be up to the job -- he will have to be better than simply above-average.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I'm more worried about contingency for injury. I'm ok with him at LT. I just worry that we don't have anyone really close to capable if he goes down.

We're thin on OT talent. Two UFAs signed from basically the bargain bin that both look to make the squad. Not quite street UFAs. But close. Probably should have been.

I put GG's health on par with Wilson and Thomas as far as guys that can't get hurt.

Erebus

Reaction score
chet380":q3x28dl7 said:
he will have to be better than simply above-average.

Really? I'd be ecstatic with "above-average" from Gilliam. Okung was average, so above average would be an upgrade.

Tical21

Reaction score
Okung was better than "above average" when on the field. I will be more than happy with average out of Gilliam.

hawker84

Reaction score
dogorama":1tvhvbt1 said:
Tical21":1tvhvbt1 said:
Okung was better than "above average" when on the field. I will be more than happy with average out of Gilliam.

Okung was better than average when NOT false-starting. Those are drive-enders.

Or getting bull rushed over the top of. I guess I'm just spoiled with what we had there before him. But he got beat a lot and made a lot of penalties from what I remember. Probably better than average tackle, but he could stink up the field from time to time.

kf3339

Reaction score
Tical21":1w45okct said:

Not sure how you figure that on Okung. What I saw was a guy who when not hurt had regressed from his first season, or two in ability. Look at the fact how few teams showed any real interest this off season. To me that screams average at best, and below average when his knack for injuries is taken into account.

kf3339

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3jmeoon8 said:
I'm more worried about contingency for injury. I'm ok with him at LT. I just worry that we don't have anyone really close to capable if he goes down.

We're thin on OT talent. Two UFAs signed from basically the bargain bin that both look to make the squad. Not quite street UFAs. But close. Probably should have been.

I put GG's health on par with Wilson and Thomas as far as guys that can't get hurt.

I remember several posters talking up Sowell when we signed him. He did start at Arizona some if I remember correctly. Seems he would be able to start in spot duty if called upon. He can't be much worse than some of the guys we have used when Okung was hurt the last few years. Who knows maybe he will be even better than some may realize.

McGruff

Reaction score
kf3339":340mmcp5 said:
Attyla the Hawk":340mmcp5 said:

I remember several posters talking up Sowell when we signed him. He did start at Arizona some if I remember correctly. Seems he would be able to start in spot duty if called upon. He can't be much worse than some of the guys we have used when Okung was hurt the last few years. Who knows maybe he will be even better than some may realize.

I would put Sowell in the Paul McQuistan category. He's not hot garbage, but you really don't want him out there.

dogorama

Reaction score
kf3339":23mqq6ig said:
Attyla the Hawk":23mqq6ig said:

Someone posted on the Ariz board that he was starting on our line and they all had a good laugh w/that.