Guard Jahri Evans Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I take it they're not thrilled with how the o line is looking in training camp?

Always compete!

BEEF46

Reaction score
dogorama":nvaa8nxs said:
BEEF46":nvaa8nxs said:
Just deleted my post....saw this as well.

We'll see. Not sure how much he has left in the tank.

Even if he doesn't start could be a real good influence on the young guys if you could get for for min $$$.

Completely agree with that.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Evans is only 32 (going on 33) which isn't all that old for O-lineman. If he's finally over his injuries he could have a couple more seasons of good football left.

On the radio today Sheil Kapadia from ESPN said that his first thought for bringing in Jahri Evans for a visit was because they were so impressed by Ifedi that they are thinking he could play Tackle this year.

We'll see. Either way I like how this FO always knows who all is out there available in FA.

McGruff

Reaction score
DJrmb":2uc2pi8p said:
Evans is only 32 (going on 33) which isn't all that old for O-lineman. If he's finally over his injuries he could have a couple more seasons of good football left.

On the radio today Sheil Kapadia from ESPN said that his first thought for bringing in Jahri Evans for a visit was because they were so impressed by Ifedi that they are thinking he could play Tackle this year.

We'll see. Either way I like how this FO always knows who all is out there available in FA.

Which would be awesome.

But Webb has experience at guard, and in fact his better tape is at guard.

Evans is better than Webb, however, so it would be an overall upgrade, while still leaving room for Odhiambo to crash the party down the line.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Evans has been a 16 game starter throughout his career until last season where he missed 5. So, a pretty good track record of reliability.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Says nothing about the current state of the line. Leave no stone unturned.

I'm convinced this admin keeps a list of free agents on a calendar. When a date arrives, any names on that date that are still free agents get an invite.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":19c61q5q said:

Yep, this.

DJrmb":19c61q5q said:

This was my first thought. And it still could be. I always felt like they wanted to bring Ifedi along slowly and move him next year. But the way Pete's had an unvarnished man crush on him -- I think they could be looking at accelerating that timetable.

Of similar importance though -- we've not gotten a strong vibe that Webb is making the staff comfortable. It could be a case of both Ifedi impressing and concerns about Webb that conspire to make the jump quicker.

Of course what's more likely is Evans comes in and leaves. And everything is as it was this morning.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This is interesting and leads to questions about what they are seeing elsewhere on the OLine. If Evans is again healthy he'd be a very solid addition to the pile. It'll probably depend on what he wants to play here.

Wartooth

Reaction score
A savvy pro bowl vet might be just what this young group needs! He played great for the Saint's... Maybe Jimmy endorsed him.

LolaRox

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":exyrqt5e said:

Of similar importance though -- we've not gotten a strong vibe that Webb is making the staff comfortable. It could be a case of both Ifedi impressing and concerns about Webb that conspire to make the jump quicker.

Of course what's more likely is Evans comes in and leaves. And everything is as it was this morning.

Something caught my ear during Tom Cable's press conference yesterday in regards to Webb, he said something about Webb not understanding the tempo they practice at. I don't know if its a any kind of indictment but I did notice it.

Does anyone know why Jahri is still on the street?

kobebryant

Reaction score
LolaRox":2n2h3tbg said:
Attyla the Hawk":2n2h3tbg said:

Something caught my ear during Tom Cable's press conference yesterday in regards to Webb, he said something about Webb not understanding the tempo they practice at. I don't know if its a any kind of indictment but I did notice it.

Does anyone know why Jahri is still on the street?

Bad teams probably aren't interested in older players, who even if they're solid, are on the downside of their career; while those said players typically aren't interested in playing on short-term deals for bad teams.

Better teams tend to already be paying a strong core, trust their internal depth more, and wait to add solid vets at bargain deals. Kevin Williams - Seahawks; Evan Mathis - Broncos; Antoine Winfield - Seahawks; Dwight Freeney - Cardinals come to mind.

I like these type of additions, never hurts to add a solid veteran leader, especially to this extremely young group; Evans has a championship pedigree too.

Fade

Reaction score
A) Just kickin' the tires to see if there is any tread left.

B) Odhiambo may not be ready if there is an injury, upgraded depth at Guard.

C) Ifedi might be kicking out to Right Tackle. That is the long term plan anyway, Webb then goes to the bench.

kf3339

Reaction score
I think this would be a move that makes sense for both sides, if the price is right.

The Hawks get a player who even at his age is better than all of our current O-linemen in experience which could be a real need with this young group. He also could easily step right into the RG spot if they decide Ifedi can handle the
RT starting spot right now. That was the plan anyway at some point. It also gives the line a vet who really understands how to get them all playing at a high degree of consistency. This would be especially true if they still think Britt is the answer at Center, or that Hunt can start right away (my preference).

So if the team thinks it makes sense count me in!

As for Evans he gets another strong chance at a ring and could stick around for two good years. That would be a plus in my book.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1u6tczas said:

I'm convinced this admin keeps a list of free agents on a calendar. When a date arrives, any names on that date that are still free agents get an invite.
Exactly!

kearly

Reaction score
It makes sense if the numbers work out. Seattle is currently projected to have one of the youngest and least experienced OL in the NFL.

original poster

Reaction score
I think Webb is seriously under-delivering and Ifedi is over performing.

Slide Ifedi to RT and bring in Evans to RG.

I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.