RB corps is beleaguered by injuries

hawknation2016

Reaction score
At one time, the RB depth chart looked to be six or seven players deep. Not anymore. In addition to Thomas Rawls (PUP for ankle), C.J. Prosise (hamstring), Zac Brooks (hamstring), Tre Madden (shoulder) and Brandon Cottom (likely IR for ruptured achilles) are all sitting out of training camp right now.

That has left them with only Christine Michael and Alex Collins to grind out reps. They even had CB George Farmer, who played a little RB at USC, line up in the backfield in the last practice. So they have now re-signed Cameron Marshall to give them a 3rd back to use in practice. The good news is Michael and Collins are both getting a lot of opportunities to develop, learn the playbook, improve as pass protectors, and work on ball security.

“If you don’t have guys out there it’s kind of hard to get them reps,” [running backs coach Sherman] Smith said. “So Thomas and C.J., we want them out there to get the ready and they are not out there. So it puts more load on the other guys so that makes them susceptible to injuries. The big thing is that the guys that aren’t out there aren’t getting prepared and the guys that are there are getting more reps than they would usually get.”

"[Alex Collins is] getting banged around pretty good,” Carroll said. “He’s very tough, he’s really responded. The defense has come to the offense to really work with the football, make sure those guys are really secure so they’re getting banged around a lot, which we intended to do that. He’s taken to the physical stuff and he’s dishing it back out, so I’m really proud of the way he’s handling. He’s had a lot of work already.”

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... -injuries/

chris98251

Reaction score
Well the Hamstring stuff has to be worked back slow or it becomes a season long issue or worse, we will see a few more repetition backs signed I imagine, Collins is going to learn fast the difference between college tough and NFL tough, I hope he gets some breaks, I don't want to see him broke down to much and then have nagging stuff all season.

kearly

Reaction score
Thanks for the report HN.

I don't really take minor injuries all that seriously during the first week of TC. It's expected that some guys might strain themselves during the first week. That plus the team has plenty of time to ease them back in, there's no rush for the team.

However, I do think this report highlights why Seattle drafted Collins, and why Christine Michael was signed fairly quickly during the free agency period. Durable RBs have value, especially when you aren't even sure if your starter is durable or not.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
It's our read option and Russell Wilson that gets all the rushing production. We can plug anyone in there at rb and kick ass. I was looking forward to seeing Rawls, but the guy just might not have an NFL body, or he doesn't know how to hustle without getting injured.

Fade

Reaction score
I'm not worried yet. As long as Rawls doesn't go on the regular season PUP.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well I see Prosise and Brooks as another attempt at the Harvin Experiment, just better RB skills and true receivers with better size. Bevell is still trying to catch lighting in a bottle twice with what he did in Minny with Rice and Harvin. I think they both can develop into a respectable run threat, but being tagged as third down backs or back in Prosise out of the gate indicates what the design is for them.

They need to get healthy, the reps at RB is going to be huge with how much field time they see, teams need to look at them as legit RB threats.

ACFan

Reaction score
So if the season started this weekend. Michael and Collins would be #1 and #2?

Or does Collins get the nod with CM brought in as the 3rd down back?

Collins is going to fit this zone blocking scheme like a glove, he could be this year's Rawls, except more durable.

Lords of Scythia":18cm23ep said:
I was looking forward to seeing Rawls, but the guy just might not have an NFL body, or he doesn't know how to hustle without getting injured.

Collins' atypical stride is a big part of why he doesn't get hurt. long striders and guys running flat out are prone to hamstring, ankle and knee injuries.

Collins talks about keeping all his power and balance, center of gravity, as directly under him as possible. his quick feet allow him to get away with his choppy steps, runs very controlled, always in position to glance off the blow or deliver one.

very good at setting up and using blocks, patient+vision+instinct, with the zone blocking scheme, I see AC churning out some serious yards.