George Fant?

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I know he played basketball but has anyone actually seen this guy play football. And is he any good?

entropyrulesall

Reaction score
I believe he only played one year of football or maybe even none, maybe just casually played. He's a project for sure but you know how Pete and the crew like to do it. they will hide him in preseason; he'll probably make a lot of penalties, maybe even some on purpose, just so they can hide him for the year and develop him. He could be another Sweezy or Gilliam for us down the road.

He was rotating out with the ones today because Pete probably wanted to see how he could do after few days of training camp.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
He's a world theory kind of player. There just aren't but a handful of guys that athletic in the world.

He won't factor in 2016. But if he catches fire, not unlike a Terron Armstead kind of prospect then you basically have a R1 kind of talent for peanuts.

Round 8 is so important. But you have to trust development. And get those guys to the PS for a year. It'll be hard for Fant to get there. And I suspect that's why Seattle has been less than effusive on how he's performed to date. Along with guys like Perkins and Overton.

This year's round 8 has the potential of being a good draft in it's entirety. But only if they can get stashed for a season. I see the upside of a class that could be the best ever assembled by PCJS.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
He played one year of college football as a backup TE. There's nothing to see here.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":17yonswt said:
He played one year of college football as a backup TE. There's nothing to see here.

Apparently, he got time at LT yesterday with the first team OL

So there might be something to see here.

They love those conversion projects.

McGruff

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":3czv2vhd said:

Yeah, I prefer to see something before I say there's nothing to see. I heard similar sentiment ts about Sweezy and Gilliam.

Ruminator

Reaction score
HawkNuts":tdfyahex said:
I know he played basketball but has anyone actually seen this guy play football. And is he any good?

Don't know if he's any good, but he's definitely Fant-astic!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
He's a ridiculous athlete. Don't know much about him as a football player, but I remember watching him play basketball and dude was a monster for WKU

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":1oi9ccon said:

Almost like he's a very raw product with incredible athleticism :2thumbs:

kearly

Reaction score
He would have to be an unbelievably fast learner to ever take a meaningful snap in 2016. JR Sweezy did it, but cases of totally raw players playing immediately are rare.

Smellyman

Reaction score
kearly":1fhzviye said:
He would have to be an unbelievably fast learner to ever take a meaningful snap in 2016. JR Sweezy did it, but cases of totally raw players playing immediately are rare.

Except Sweezy lined up against guards at a high level.

Not saying he fan't do it though. He looks good in a uniform

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":2in1o8zq said:

There is something to see, actually.

I think we may have a future stud LT waiting in the wings. Fantastic feet, great hands, quick and extremely athletic. Intelligent and a hard ass worker. Eager to learn, coachable.

As a WKU alum, I watched this kid from day one and followed him back when he was balling at Warren Central. Chose WKU because his uncle, Jm McDaniels, is a legend there and so he kept it in the family. He's loyal; got a great head on his shoulders. Tough as nails mentally and physically.

All this nonsense on here about Pope and Burley...let's give those situations some time.

And I agree w Twisted that our defense will likely take a step back this year.

But I'm looking at it this way- looking at our entire offense...we won't need ANYONE for a few years. We can sit on what we have and develop these guys. Our defense will go through some serious churn in the next 2-3 yrs, but our offense is set for a while. We'll look back at this draft/ offseason and remember how we constructed our offense...and I am super proud that George Fant will be a part of it!

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Smellyman":1i69n8vh said:
Except Sweezy lined up against guards at a high level.

Not saying he fan't do it though. He looks good in a uniform

I see what you did there.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kearly":l2y08cvw said:

He will replace Sowell mid season. :stirthepot:

kf3339

Reaction score
I know this won't happen, but PC should call Walter and pay him what it would take to coach Fant one on one about being a franchise LT. If Fant could gain just 50% of Jone's knowledge and apply it to the field he would be a top 10 starting LT in this league, if not more.

But for whatever reason he just don't use our former great players to help teach the younger guys. You would even have thought they would have asked Tobek to work with Britt and Hunt on the finer points of Center play. Personally, I just don't get it.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Fant is getting good coaching.

Do you know if Walt can coach? Great players are often great just because they are better than whoever they line up against. There's a reason Walt could skip every training camp and still come in and dominate. Practice? we talking about practice?

Walt may just say, 'just dominate the dude, that's what I did.'

The over achievers may be better at coaching.

kf3339

Reaction score
Smellyman":2f76mamp said:

Do you know if Walt can coach? Great players are often great just because they are better than whoever they line up against. There's a reason Walt could skip every training camp and still come in and dominate. Practice? we talking about practice?

Do you think the current O coaches are better at knowing all the finer points of a franchise LT player, than one of the most dominant LT's of all time? Perhaps he can't coach every detail, but to think he couldn't instill some strong teaching points to Fant just seems wrong to me.

Walt also may be able to teach him how to prepare for a season like he did when not in camp. Or what tools he would use to sharpen his own instinctive abilities to dominate at the line. But even if he just taught him how to be an effective pass blocker we be a great help. That is something our current O coaches are poor at if you ask me.

Smellyman

Reaction score
kf3339":c4uc4iig said:
Smellyman":c4uc4iig said:

Do you think the current O coaches are better at knowing all the finer points of a franchise LT player, than one of the most dominant LT's of all time? Perhaps he can't coach every detail, but to think he couldn't instill some strong teaching points to Fant just seems wrong to me.

yes