Michael Bennett on rookies learning their place

ivotuk

Reaction score
BROCK AND SALK

Michael Bennett on rookies learning their place, NFL contracts and more

ORIGINALLY AIRED: TUESDAY, AUGUST 09, 2016

Seahawks defensive lineman Michael Bennett tells "Brock and Salk" about some of the skirmishes he's been involved in during training camp, why he thinks NFL contracts should be guaranteed and more.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/ ... and%20Salk

dogorama

Reaction score
ivotuk":rauh0sc5 said:
Seahawks defensive lineman Michael Bennett tells "Brock and Salk" about some of the skirmishes he's been involved in during training camp, why he thinks NFL contracts should be guaranteed and more.

Having guaranteed contracts is cool w/me as long as injured player's money isn't counted against the cap. Otherwise, NFL success will just be a measure of who's got the healthiest team.

One question: Brock mentioned that Bennett's agent met w/team and didn't get a new contract. Does that mean that's final? Probably no way to know.

McGruff

Reaction score
I would be shocked to see Bennett get extended AT ALL. He will play out this year at his current rate and either be traded or cut before next season.

The Seahawks rarely (if ever) give big extensions to players over 30 years old. Bennett will go the way of Chris Clemons and Red Bryant.

dogorama

Reaction score
McGruff":2y1wjiwi said:
I would be shocked to see Bennett get extended AT ALL. He will play out this year at his current rate and either be traded or cut before next season.

The Seahawks rarely (if ever) give big extensions to players over 30 years old. Bennett will go the way of Chris Clemons and Red Bryant.

I think Bennett's situation is far different from either Bryant's or Clemons. They should at least guarantee his contract this year, that wouldn't affect the cap.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
dogorama":2vcs8ybo said:
ivotuk":2vcs8ybo said:

Having guaranteed contracts is cool w/me as long as injured player's money isn't counted against the cap. Otherwise, NFL success will just be a measure of who's got the healthiest team.

One question: Brock mentioned that Bennett's agent met w/team and didn't get a new contract. Does that mean that's final? Probably no way to know.

The NBA having fully guaranteed contracts has hurt them. Gilber Arenas is the first name to come to mind. But since we're talking NFL. How about Albert Haynesworth? That fat slob got paid and immediately checked out. If you guarantee the contract you would have lots more of that.

dogorama

Reaction score
gowazzu02":26di5o5u said:
dogorama":26di5o5u said:
ivotuk":26di5o5u said:

The NBA having fully guaranteed contracts has hurt them. Gilber Arenas is the first name to come to mind. But since we're talking NFL. How about Albert Haynesworth? That fat slob got paid and immediately checked out. If you guarantee the contract you would have lots more of that.

I am basically talking about injuries and especially career ending injuries. You have to build incentives into contracts also. As for the money lost it would be negligible compared to what teams are making these days. It isn't just income either, the Dallas Cowboys are now valued at FOUR BILLION DOLLARS! Do you realize how much money Jerry Jones has made in the last few years just in equity gain? The NFL owners cannot cry money.

FYI: the NBA is doing fine, it's a bunch of BS that some are losing money.

http://www.businessinsider.com/adam-sil ... ney-2015-7

http://www.forbes.com/nba-valuations/

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/w ... snt-add-up

McGruff

Reaction score
dogorama":2yyy4w1l said:
McGruff":2yyy4w1l said:

I think Bennett's situation is far different from either Bryant's or Clemons. They should at least guarantee his contract this year, that wouldn't affect the cap.

On what basis. Both were previousy productive, fan beloved and teammate appreciated players who tipped the 30 year old scale and were cut.

dogorama

Reaction score
McGruff":1awi2ekl said:
dogorama":1awi2ekl said:
McGruff":1awi2ekl said:

On what basis. Both were previousy productive, fan beloved and teammate appreciated players who tipped the 30 year old scale and were cut.

Simple, Bennett is the height of his productivity, Bryant and Clemons were not. You said it yourself, "Both were previousy [sic] productive." Bennett is "currently" productive.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
dogorama":ch4qqsm2 said:
Otherwise, NFL success will just be a measure of who's got the healthiest team.

While health doesn't determine the winners/losers, it does play a role.

dogorama

Reaction score
DTexHawk":1afe591f said:
dogorama":1afe591f said:
Otherwise, NFL success will just be a measure of who's got the healthiest team.

While health doesn't determine the winners/losers, it does play a role.

Granted, but that is typically confined to one season, if contracts were guaranteed and it counted against the cap, that would have the potential to ruin multiple seasons.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Michael's a funny guy, and I like how he approaches political footballs by keeping them open-ended instead of saying "My point of view is right, and everyone else's is wrong." He's looking for solutions, not scapegoats. Even if I don't always agree with him, I sincerely appreciate his approach, and respect his point of view.

I don't think they will cut him. I see it more like Marshawn, in that Seattle will reward him for his stellar play, and for showing up to training camp. Why would they do that? Because they want players to know that if they outplay their contract, and don't hold out, they will be compensated. Maybe not for as much as they might ask for, but still fairly well.

I think Michael will be productive for at least another 3 or 4 years because his first couple of years weren't all that strenuous. His first 3 years, he only started 12 games, and early in Seattle, he was rotated in and out.

I'm guessing, but I think total number of combined tackles might give a measure of play for a lineman. I'll do some searching to see if I can find some kind of scale for "career vs stat = longevity"

MB 219 combined tackles.

http://www.nfl.com/player/michaelbennet ... 17/profile

Cliff Avril 258 combined tackles.

http://www.nfl.com/player/cliffavril/1330/profile

Jared Allen 643 combined tackles.

http://www.nfl.com/player/jaredallen/25 ... areerstats

Kevin Williams Minnesota 525 combined tackles.

http://www.nfl.com/player/kevinwilliams/2505576/profile

jammerhawk

Reaction score
McGruff":31pmhp9e said:

McG, I have the greatest respect for your football accumen, but here I disagree.

Bennett is different than the others you described, he's a dominant top level pass rusher that requires offensive scheming to protect against. His services will be in demand until his skills dropoff and at present that doesn't appear to be even close to the case. As well he is a big part of the team's recent success and part of the present core of the team where neither Bryant nor Clemons were to the same degree. The team did however try to bring Clem back. I believe that if the team can't re-up him after next season not this season, then they will have him play out his deal or trade him but not before next season. Time will of course tell on this.

I frankly doubt though that Bennett will command the type of deal he thinks he's worth and this may cause him to move on, chasing the big $; but I suspect the team would seriously try to keep him here and to try to keep him happy.

McGruff

Reaction score
dogorama":24kywvks said:
McGruff":24kywvks said:
dogorama":24kywvks said:
McGruff":24kywvks said:

Simple, Bennett is the height of his productivity, Bryant and Clemons were not. You said it yourself, "Both were previousy [sic] productive." Bennett is "currently" productive.
After another year and Bennett is 31 . . . It could be a different ball game. Age hits fast in the NFL.

Clemon's had 11.5 sacks at age 31 in Seattle. He dropped to 4.5 at age 32 in Seattle and they cut him after that year. He never bounced back.

Red was productive at 28, fell of at 29 and was cut after that year and has bounced around the league.

Bennett is going to be 31 this November. Seattle has a proven track recoRd of not giving extensions to player over 30.

McGruff

Reaction score
ivotuk":2fouxpre said:
Michael's a funny guy, and I like how he approaches political footballs by keeping them open-ended instead of saying "My point of view is right, and everyone else's is wrong." He's looking for solutions, not scapegoats. Even if I don't always agree with him, I sincerely appreciate his approach, and respect his point of view.

I don't think they will cut him. I see it more like Marshawn, in that Seattle will reward him for his stellar play, and for showing up to training camp. Why would they do that? Because they want players to know that if they outplay their contract, and don't hold out, they will be compensated. Maybe not for as much as they might ask for, but still fairly well.

I think Michael will be productive for at least another 3 or 4 years because his first couple of years weren't all that strenuous. His first 3 years, he only started 12 games, and early in Seattle, he was rotated in and out.

I'm guessing, but I think total number of combined tackles might give a measure of play for a lineman. I'll do some searching to see if I can find some kind of scale for "career vs stat = longevity"

MB 219 combined tackles.

http://www.nfl.com/player/michaelbennet ... 17/profile

Cliff Avril 258 combined tackles.

http://www.nfl.com/player/cliffavril/1330/profile

Jared Allen 643 combined tackles.

http://www.nfl.com/player/jaredallen/25 ... areerstats

Kevin Williams Minnesota 525 combined tackles.

http://www.nfl.com/player/kevinwilliams/2505576/profile

Chris Clemons, 272 tackles with a similar late blooming trajectory.

Fade

Reaction score
@ McGruff

Clemons signed an extension in his 30's with the Seahawks in 2012. Coincidentally about the same age as Michael Bennett will be when he is due for an extension. Unfortunately for Clem he tore his ACL, and they started getting up against the cap a year later so they cut him. (Also they had to find money to get Bennett re-signed as he only signed a 1 yr. deal.)

The Hawks are not cutting Michael Bennett. He will be extended either towards the end of this season. or next off-season.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I would be shocked – SHOCKED I tell you – if they don't extend Bennett. I think they do it by December.

If he gets injured this year, though... I dunno.

McGruff

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":1okbvo16 said:
I would be shocked – SHOCKED I tell you – if they don't extend Bennett. I think they do it by December.

I think the only way Bennett gets an extension is if that extension continues to pay him half the going rate for elite dlinemen.

Seattle will not pay a premium price for an aging lineman.

dogorama

Reaction score
McGruff":hevdactr said:
HawkAroundTheClock":hevdactr said:

I think the only way Bennett gets an extension is if that extension continues to pay him half the going rate for elite dlinemen.

I honestly don't think that he thinks he'll get premium compensation at his age, that's just a negotiating ploy. I do, however, think he'll get 75% provided it is not long-term. If it were up to me I would extend him for one year and give him his first year in bonus money pro-rated over the length of the contract. That would keep the cap down this year, give us a top-notch rushing end for three years, and keep him very happy. Everyone wins!

McGruff

Reaction score
dogorama":esav82k3 said:
McGruff":esav82k3 said:
HawkAroundTheClock":esav82k3 said:

I honestly don't think that he thinks he'll get premium compensation at his age, that's just a negotiating ploy. I do, however, think he'll get 75% provided it is not long-term. If it were up to me I would extend him for one year and give him his first year in bonus money pro-rated over the length of the contract. That would keep the cap down this year, give us a top-notch rushing end for three years, and keep him very happy. Everyone wins!

I owuld agree that a contract like that is reasonable . . . but I don't get the feeling Bennett would be interested in that deal.

Latest posts