RB competition

Hawks46

Reaction score
One of the more intriguing battles in TC (at least for me) has been the RB's. To listen to the coaches, they've been really excited about Prosise, but he hasn't been able to stay on the field. Rawls is now back as well, so I wanted to start a discussion leading into the first preseason game about where folks think guys fit.

Prosise vs. Brooks. These guys are battling for the same spot in the same role. Prosise is larger and has shown more aptitude to run between the tackles. He was a former WR so he runs really good routes and has plus hands. Brooks is actually faster in a straight line. From what I've seen of him, he's ok between the tackles though he's show a propensity in college to like to bounce it outside. He also has plus hands and the coaching staff has raved about his receiving abilities.

Rawls vs. Michael vs. Collins. This is really about the two most experienced guys coming back, and Collins challenging for a bell cow role. Meaning these guys are the grinders, they get the tough yards and are expected to bring toughness and wear down a defense.

We've seen enough of Rawls to know he's legit. He can catch out of the backfield, make guys miss, break tackles, and take long runs to the house. He's very explosive to the hole, and he's literally built for our system. Seeing his injury, I thought it was more of a freak accident. It doesn't mean he's injury prone, as this is really the first major injury he's had in the pro's or college.

Collins is the closest thing we have to Lynch. He's not going to be a home run hitter, but he has the potential to be the king of the 10 to 20 yard run. He'll be a first down machine, and punish the defense. He has the running style and attitude that Cable loves and Pete wants to instill in the offense again.

Michael is the wild card. Physically, he's our most dominant back. He's honestly faster than Prosise, while being larger. He's a physical freak, but it's the mental game that's slowed him down. He seems to have embraced the role of being the most experienced guy, and he's taken advantage of the fact that he's been the most durable back in TC. Which has meaning. Here's a quick quote from FG on TC notes today:

"Christine Michael had several explosive runs today. His footwork and cuts were a work of beauty. His overall demeanor, even just in practice, is completely different than his first stint with the team. His renewed focus and attention to detail is clearly apparent"

I've been more a fan of Michael's potential than the production in the past, but I honestly think he's not only making the team, but he's the 2nd RB.

So, the question is, Michael makes the team. Do we keep 4 RB's ? Who gets cut ?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Rawls is #1, Christine is #2, and poor AC, despite all his skills and accolades, winds up as the 3rd back again.

Prosise will spend a lot of time inactive, only becoming active later in the season when someone gets hurt.

Zac Brooks will go to the Practice Squad, and the team will convert a huge DT to FB, or pick one up somewhere.

I read that George Farmer is the fill-in for the "Prosise Project" and is playing well replacing CJ.

Sirius radio believe CJ will have great fantasy value:

http://blog.siriusxm.com/2016/05/04/nfl ... t-in-2016/

I'm trying to figure what this article is about, I thought it was about Prosise

http://blog.siriusxm.com/2016/05/04/nfl ... t-in-2016/

ACFan

Reaction score
Hawks46":3r8bme7s said:
Rawls vs. Michael vs. Collins. This is really about the two most experienced guys coming back, and Collins challenging for a bell cow role. Meaning these guys are the grinders, they get the tough yards and are expected to bring toughness and wear down a defense.

sounds like a good, healthy competition.

It's typically pretty hard to go from no contact to "football shape" in just a week or two. that has to haveRawls behind at this stage. How much PT and how much contact, in preseason games and practice Rawls gets these next few weeks will be key.

As far as this preseason goes, Collins and Michael have to be the best prepared to this point, Collins hasn't missed any practice and Michael almost none. They've been beating on Collins for two weeks now, trying to make him fumble, he's likely in football shape right now.

For the season, it's Rawls job to lose, but that's dependent on him demonstrating he's 100% back.

Collins is going to get all he could hope for, First chance to go show what he can do with the ones.

Since I'm adopting a new team here, I'm anxious to get my first look at all these guys.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":1s4nbz5w said:
Without a true FB we may keep all of them.
This is my view. Fullback is pretty much a legacy position that isn't needed with the advent and proliferation of the spread and it's concepts.

lobohawk

Reaction score
I'm fine...maybe even exccited with these three handling the load (Rawls - Michael - Collins). That depends on Michael continuing to mature, as he's described as having the most upside in explosiveness.

At this point I don't care much about CJ. Pundits keep talking about him, but I can't tell if it's just hype from college days and being on Notre Dame. I could even see a rotation of the other three making him a bit irrelevant. Not a fan of overemphasizing 3rd down exclusive type players.

Atradees

Reaction score
Should have gotten more OL.........I like Rawls. The hit he got injured was dirty. They roled him up very awkwardly.

Ruminator

Reaction score
I love this. You know you truly have one of the league's best front offices when one of the greatest running backs of all time decides to retire and you're still jacked about the RB position the next season.

Hendo66

Reaction score
What are the chances this backfield turns into a bit of a committee?
Serious potential to wear down D Lines...

dogorama

Reaction score
Love the topic and trust me, I want to talk football as much as anybody, but what are we really comparing? We have had barely over a week of what is essentially body conditioning and catch-and-release football. Our top draft choice at the position hasn't really been on the field yet, we don't know if our O-line can block anyone, and the scrimmage was great if you're a big fan of flag football. Every year we hear the "man, so-and-so really looks good," "this guy is a wrecking crew," blah-blah-blah and then the real season hits and reality sets in. For every Thomas Rawls there are a bazillion guys who looked great in training camp but can't cut it in a real game situation.

I guess I'm a real show-me type of guy but you won't see much to at least the third game of the preseason because the first two games are so cluttered w/future cuts and practice squad deportees. I am like someone else said: I can't wait for preseason to start so I can't wait for it to be over.

Having said all that, I am really excited to see what this talented group of young running backs can do, LOL!

kearly

Reaction score
Ironically RB has been the least competitive part of TC so far with all the injuries.

Have to tip your cap to Michael though, it sounds like he has taken advantage of the situation about as well as he could have. That said I am not really all that surprised by it, because Michael clearly looked like a different back when he returned to the team last year. He was good in his late season starts for us, and even in Michael's one "bad" game last season, in one of the coldest games ever played, he had almost double the YPC that Adrian Peterson had.

Michael used to be a boom or bust back. Now he's the kind of back that keeps an offense on schedule. He's not as good as Rawls in this regard, but he's become pretty good at it.

With Collins, I think his talent and NFL projection are good for a 5th round pick, along the same lines as a guy like Tim Hightower (5th round pick) or CJ Anderson (UDFA). He can be a nice, solid physical back for us that can eat up carries if we have injuries at RB, and who can probably help us convert in power running situations. I expect him to last here all four years on his rookie contract, before some other team pays him to be their starter in 2020.

Procise reminds me of a lesser version of Chris Warren. He runs his way into mistakes, and then he runs his way out of them. But because he is such a good athlete, he can still manage good numbers. I wouldn't want Procise to be our starting RB the same way the Vikings wouldn't want Cordarrelle Patterson to be their #1 WR, but both of those guys can do some real damage if you get the ball in their hands with some space to move. I think Seattle is completely aware of this and drafted Procise as a component player, rather than an every down back.

I think Seattle will keep Rawls / Michael / Collins / Procise. Brooks is here another month as insurance, hopefully the aforementioned four RBs stay healthy and Brooks plays his way onto the practice squad. It's looking increasingly likely that Seattle will have a Tukuafu style fullback who can play DT. Tukuafu himself is a phone call away from being back with the team if needed.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
This very easily could turn into a committee approach. Don't be surprised if Michael has the most overall yards. I'm not the biggest fan of Collins' choppy feet coupled with his lack of speed at the NFL level, but I think he's got a role here as a GL back and could have the most TDs of all the backs on the team. I'll really have to see Rawls before I can get a gauge on him for this particular season. When you're a back and you're used to being able to cut really hard and potentially have issues trusting it, it takes away from you. Training is one thing, but those first few games will really test it, more than likely. I'm just not sure how what he's going to look like in terms of trying to heal DURING an NFL season. It's like an oxymoron. Especially for a running back.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Surprised some people in here are so low on Prosise. The staff absolutely loves him and can't wait to make him a part of the offense. His role is possibly the most secure of the bunch honestly if he gets his soft tissue issue taken care of. Rawls will be the bell cow, Prosise will command the second most touches and Michael stays ahead of Collins. I do think they limit Rawls a little more then they have in the past with their lead runner but its not a huge difference. I think once Prosise gets on the field he is going to surprise some people.

Great write up from the OP, Kearly and others as well.

ACFan

Reaction score
dogorama":2lj36cei said:
Love the topic and trust me, I want to talk football as much as anybody, but what are we really comparing? We have had barely over a week of what is essentially body conditioning and catch-and-release football. Our top draft choice at the position hasn't really been on the field yet, we don't know if our O-line can block anyone, and the scrimmage was great if you're a big fan of flag football. Every year we hear the "man, so-and-so really looks good," "this guy is a wrecking crew," blah-blah-blah and then the real season hits and reality sets in. For every Thomas Rawls there are a bazillion guys who looked great in training camp but can't cut it in a real game situation.

I guess I'm a real show-me type of guy but you won't see much to at least the third game of the preseason because the first two games are so cluttered w/future cuts and practice squad deportees. I am like someone else said: I can't wait for preseason to start so I can't wait for it to be over.

Having said all that, I am really excited to see what this talented group of young running backs can do, LOL!

I echo those sentiments. I think Collins is going to do great, (hope he plays with the ones Saturday.)

But until anyone plays at full speed/contact, can't tell how anyone will look.

dogorama

Reaction score
ACFan":16wa83qk said:
But until anyone plays at full speed/contact, can't tell how anyone will look.

A lot of college players do great in the pros but it's a different game. It's become somewhat of a cliche but the bigger-faster-stronger rap is really true. I think this might affect running backs as much as anyone who is trying to make this transition.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
austinslater25":3cq02j7y said:
Surprised some people in here are so low on Prosise. The staff absolutely loves him and can't wait to make him a part of the offense. His role is possibly the most secure of the bunch honestly if he gets his soft tissue issue taken care of. Rawls will be the bell cow, Prosise will command the second most touches and Michael stays ahead of Collins. I do think they limit Rawls a little more then they have in the past with their lead runner but its not a huge difference. I think once Prosise gets on the field he is going to surprise some people.

Great write up from the OP, Kearly and others as well.
I liked the Prosise pick a lot. He was one of my top 3 overall backs in the draft and kind of reminds me a little bit of Ricky Watters. He's got the same spin move, same secondary burst that gives him an extra gear, former WR just like Watters, very similar size and build, etc.

That said, we just haven't seen him. It'd be nice if he can stay healthy because at that point I think we really do keep all 4 knowing that at least one of them is going to be dinged up at any given time. It's the least forgiving position in football.

kearly

Reaction score
I see our RB situation as being very similar in terms of talent and roles to Dallas' RB group.

Starting RB: Thomas Rawls / Ezekiel Elliot

Quick, powerful RBs who have both drawn casual comparisons to AP.

3rd down back: CJ Procise / Lance Dunbar

Both are guys who were born to play 3rd down back. Seattle kicked the tires on Dunbar before drafting Procise.

2nd string RB: Christine Michael / Darren McFadden

Michael was often compared to McFadden coming out of college. Both had nearly identical combine numbers and have followed similar career paths, from boom / bust and frustrating, to good runners who put the team first and keep the offense on schedule with a high success rate on their rush attempts.

3rd string / situational RB: Alex Collins / Alfred Morris

Won't blow you away, but both are big, smart, dependable, productive RBs who you can count on for solid play.