Ifedi At It Again...

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Rook needs to dial it down a touch.

RENTON – Rookie offensive lineman Germain Ifedi shoved linebacker K.J. Wright in the back.

Then, Ifedi shouted at Richard Sherman, pointing at Seattle’s All-Pro cornerback Richard Sherman as Bobby Wagner stood in front of Ifedi, trying to calm the rookie offensive lineman down.

It was the latest practice-field flare-up for the first-round pick out of Texas A&M who has shown in 11 days of practice that his temper runs hot and he won’t concede anything to Seattle’s defensive lineman.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/167732/se ... -practice/

kidhawk

Reaction score
I don't mind the fiery attitude, in fact I kinda like it in linemen. As long as it doesn't translate into stupid penalties or injuries at practices, I'm fine with it.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Aros":2b2dc7al said:
Rook needs to dial it down a touch.

RENTON – Rookie offensive lineman Germain Ifedi shoved linebacker K.J. Wright in the back.

Then, Ifedi shouted at Richard Sherman, pointing at Seattle’s All-Pro cornerback Richard Sherman as Bobby Wagner stood in front of Ifedi, trying to calm the rookie offensive lineman down.

It was the latest practice-field flare-up for the first-round pick out of Texas A&M who has shown in 11 days of practice that his temper runs hot and he won’t concede anything to Seattle’s defensive lineman.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/167732/se ... -practice/
Good keep it up. It's past time our OL gets nasty and take nothing from anyone. Though he should keep to our opponents obviously.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes agreed, but there's a fine line...The last thing we need is bone-headed unnecessary roughness penalties on gameday. Giacomini was fun to watch be aggressive but the penalties would drive us mad. On top of that, you don't want to make enemies of the star players on the team. Perhaps it's something they all leave on the practice field. I hope so because team chemistry is one of the most vital components to this team's success.

sutz

Reaction score
We're in a new era now where they'll be emphasizing personal fouls more than in the past.

Yeah, we want them to be 'nasty' but we don't want a lot of unneccessary fouls or ejections.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
He needs to keep it contained and stop that stuff when the echo of the whistle fades. If he can shut it off after the play is over, this is the type of attitude we need. If he can't find that off switch, he is going to be a frustrating player to watch.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Guess he's getting tired of picking up their laundry?

All joking aside, he needs to channel that aggression between the whistles, and against the other team. Wouldn't be surprised to see Carroll throw him out of practice if he keeps this up

mikeak

Reaction score
He really just needs to learn how to let it out in such a way that he doesn't get flagged for it....................

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Personal foul penalties only bother me if they're unintentional/bad calls or reaction to baiting by other players. If they're just one of our guys asserting his dominance like Giacomini & Lockette used to do, every now and again, I'm ok with it.

Ifedi sounds like one of those guys. I like it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kidhawk":1gz0nvph said:
I don't mind the fiery attitude, in fact I kinda like it in linemen. As long as it doesn't translate into stupid penalties or injuries at practices, I'm fine with it.
This. We've missed fire from the line since the big Russian days.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
We also shouldn't assume he was over the top. Maybe the D is provoking him. Maybe the D is getting frustrated with him stopping them or just maybe he is a bit of a hothead. Either way I like it:)

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I know Ifedi was known for his toughness in college, but I don't recall him having a penalty issue while playing. Anyone else know his college days well enough to remark on this? Seem like much ado about nothing if he hasn't had problems in the past. Isn't controlled aggression what we've been calling for most of the time anyway?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The D provoking him could in fact be intentional and in fact requested by the senior coaching staff to force Ifedi to become able to deal with professional level gamesmanship. He could however be a hothead and easy to tip over, which would of course be a weakness the D woiuld attempt to exploit. I like the fact he appears prepared to stand his ground but then again these are his team mates he's fighting with and maybe he needs to internalize a bit.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
Sounds like Cable has gotten to Ifedi and is letting him set the tone in the huddle....as talented as we didn't appear to be at times over the last 3 years, Sweezy and Giacomini were the two players that played past the whistle, set the tone with the extra chippy play.

After watching Hard Knocks with the Rams last night, someone is going to have to set the physical tone on the offensive side of the ball to compliment Thomas Rawls fire and Doug Baldwin's tenacity. It's Suh, Aaron Donald, the Niners and Mo Wilkerson/Leonard Williams in Weeks 1-4.....someone has to help Glowinski with toughness and Webb and Lewis may wind up starting after all is said and done.

Ifedi is setting the tone for the offensive line that can also rub off on others.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2w2qv1de said:
The D provoking him could in fact be intentional and in fact requested by the senior coaching staff to force Ifedi to become able to deal with professional level gamesmanship. He could however be a hothead and easy to tip over, which would of course be a weakness the D woiuld attempt to exploit. I like the fact he appears prepared to stand his ground but then again these are his team mates he's fighting with and maybe he needs to internalize a bit.
I think it is on purpose because that's what our defense does. I don't think he has any anger issues beyond refusing to take bullshit. The guy is a father with a wife and way beyond proving he's a man to anyone. Also that's one mountain of a man to be messing with.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":11d2bykk said:
Sounds like Cable has gotten to Ifedi and is letting him set the tone in the huddle....as talented as we didn't appear to be at times over the last 3 years, Sweezy and Giacomini were the two players that played past the whistle, set the tone with the extra chippy play.

After watching Hard Knocks with the Rams last night, someone is going to have to set the physical tone on the offensive side of the ball to compliment Thomas Rawls fire and Doug Baldwin's tenacity. It's Suh, Aaron Donald, the Niners and Mo Wilkerson/Leonard Williams in Weeks 1-4.....someone has to help Glowinski with toughness and Webb and Lewis may wind up starting after all is said and done.

Ifedi is setting the tone for the offensive line that can also rub off on others.
Yep....Just imagine the kind of bullshit pressure that Donald & Co is going to throw at him....Suh?....I say, he might need to work on his priorities with HIS teammates, but we sure as hell don't need him to wus out to them either.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I'd rather have to throttle him down a little bit than try to build a fire that isn't big enough to start with.

While I don't like getting unnecessary roughness penalties, I am willing to accept it as the cost of doing business with someone like Ifedi, just like Michael Bennett and his offsides. A few of them isn't going to kill us.

And as time goes on, he'll get better. Breno did.