So Cutdown Dates

kidhawk

Reaction score
I may be mistaken, but this is what I recall:

August 30 cut down to 75

September 3 cut down to final 53

After the final cuts, I believe the teams all get notification of which players are released then the next day, teams are able to start signing players that haven't been signed to another team, onto their practice squads.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Sept. 1 @ 4 pm eastern cuts to 75

Sept . 5th 4 pm eastern cuts to 53

source nfl.com

OP
OP
MizzouHawkGal

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Thank you guys. I was curious because I'm following Jammerhawk's roster thread and just want to be up on things. And wondered when we could fill the practice squad. So cut to 75 is after the third preseason game and 53 is after the fourth preseason game and practice squad is literally a week before the season starts correct?

OP
OP
MizzouHawkGal

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
dogorama":27gribok said:
I have a feeling that we are going to lose some guys we would like to have, especially WR's. I am hoping we can hide a couple on IR. ;)
No doubt in my mind we're probably going to lose 5-6 guys that will likely be starting for other teams this season.

dogorama

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":31oky17e said:
dogorama":31oky17e said:
I have a feeling that we are going to lose some guys we would like to have, especially WR's. I am hoping we can hide a couple on IR. ;)
No doubt in my mind we're probably going to lose 5-6 guys that will likely be starting for other teams this season.

You might be right and there will probably will be some casualties from last year's 53 man squad. That would be a good subject for a thread in itself. (have we done that?)

OP
OP
MizzouHawkGal

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
dogorama":2k7n572q said:
MizzouHawkGal":2k7n572q said:
dogorama":2k7n572q said:

You might be right and there will probably will be some casualties from last year's 53 man squad. That would be a good subject for a thread in itself. (have we done that?)
Pretty sure we haven't. :mrgreen:

kidhawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":ldn5h0pu said:
Thank you guys. I was curious because I'm following Jammerhawk's roster thread and just want to be up on things. And wondered when we could fill the practice squad. So cut to 75 is after the third preseason game and 53 is after the fourth preseason game and practice squad is literally a week before the season starts correct?

That's pretty much it. I've noticed in years past that the cut to 75 has often come well ahead of the 4pm eastern deadline. I'd guess to give the guys who are cut a little bit of a chance to catch on somewhere else. Of course the cut to 53 is the one everyone will really be paying attention to.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3ts8b4xu said:

source nfl.com

I think those were last year's date.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1bea0oo1 said:
jammerhawk":1bea0oo1 said:

source nfl.com

I think those were last year's date.

You are correct. with the conflicting dates in this thread I went ahead and double checked.

Here are the 2015 season cut down dates showing the same as above

Here's the 2016 cut down dates

August 30: 4 PM ET deadline for teams to reduce their rosters to 75 players.
September 3: 4 PM ET deadline for teams to reduce their rosters to 53 players.
September 4: Players released the day prior can be claimed on waivers until 12 PM ET. Once Noon hits, those players are free agents and practice squads can start being formed.