3rd Down Back Versus Every Down Back.

ACFan

Reaction score
Help me out with history here, was Marshawn an every down back? how often was he replaced on 3rd down? what about Rawls?

An every down back is ideal if you can have one.

If you fret too much over who your "3rd down back" is, you are really admitting failings on two fronts.

A) your offense can't get enough yards on 1st and 2nd down on a regular enough basis.

and B) your starting RB is deficient in areas of his game, having to be supplemented by someone with skills he doesn't have. thus tipping your hand somewhat.

Ideally, you want to gouge the opponent with plan A, get big yards on first and 2nd down, and hardly ever even face a 3rd down, or more than 3rd and two.

And when you do face 3rd and 2+, have a starting RB who is as well suited or better for those situations as anyone else you could bring in.

Looking forward to seeing the backs who get to play today, hoping to see some "every down back" potential.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
It's about increasing your options. If you put a guy like Prosise or Brooks into the game on 3rd down then the likelihood of a pass play happening increases, which will result in the defense dropping back into coverage or going nickel instead of base. This on the other hand opens up running lanes for either the 3rd down back or Wilson. If the defense doesn't react then there is a strong possibility of one target being either open or having an easier match up to deal with.

Jville

Reaction score
Speaking of options, I'm looking forward to discovering whether they have something special with the versatile George Farmer.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Jville":3b3e0jhb said:
Speaking of options, I'm looking forward to discovering whether they have something special with the versatile George Farmer.

So far I've only heard about the Hawks wanting to use him in a similar role to Prosise and Brooks.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
ACFan":2pd2i6pm said:
Ideally, you want to gouge the opponent with plan A, get big yards on first and 2nd down, and hardly ever even face a 3rd down, or more than 3rd and two.

I like this idea. Never get into 3rd and long. Someone should suggest this to Pete.

dogorama

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":ys8snxxf said:
ACFan":ys8snxxf said:

I like this idea. Never get into 3rd and long. Someone should suggest this to Pete.

Of course there are always going to be times this happens but when you are doing it consistently it dramatically decreases your chances of achieving first downs. It feels like this is where we really get into a rut.

A-Dog

Reaction score
You have to rotate your backs anyway in order to keep them somewhat fresh.

1st and 2nd downs you need a running back who can take a pounding and carry the ball 20+ times a game. Blocking and receiving skills are important as well, but the key is being able to carry the load running the ball the whole game through.

Your 3rd down back needs all-around skills, but they don't necessarily need to be a grinder. Pass blocking/blitz pickup is key, as is receiving, since 3rd and long is a passing down. Running is important but typically the type of runs a 3rd down back gets are draws and things like that where you're trying to catch the defense off guard, so speed/quickness/shiftyness is more important than power running.

I don't think it's a weakness to have two backs who specialize in different things. Sure, if you have one back that can do everything well, that's great, but you're still going to have to rotate at some point.

chris98251

Reaction score
Having backs that do it all is important to not tipping your hand on what your going to run, Shaun Alexander could not pass block a Marshmallow so you knew 90 percent of the time it was a run or he was not an option if he was in 3rd down, Lynch could screen and run routes in the flat, why he was open so much on those plays he would pass block and release.

These backs that were former WR's need to be able to make teams respect their ability to run and pass block to really be effective.

kearly

Reaction score
Marshawn generally came off the field on third and long. But I think that had more to do with Pete Carroll wanting to find reps for his backups. Lynch was a good receiver and an excellent pass protector.