Week 1 preseason thoughts

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Professional observations from a couch potato.

- The starting OL looked average. I've never been so excited to say that.

- Cmike looks like he could fulfill his promise after all this time. He looked very explosive and was protecting the ball late in runs.

- Tyvis Powell will make this team for his ST contributions alone. I think he might push Browner off the roster.

- I was happy to see the quick strike passing game on the 1st series. Really hoping they don't go back to run run pass and stick with what worked last year.

- Marsh strikes me as a guy who is a step too slow and shines in the preseason but in the regular season will be just a step away from making a play quite often.

- I think I saw Bryant in the backfield 3 or 4 times early in the game. That would be awesome.

- Heaps seems a bit more polished than Boykin, but Boykin put together a good 2 minute drill before half and a great end of game drive.

- I liked what I saw from Richardson. Boykin almost hit him in the 1st half for a TD, overthrew him just a bit.

All in all, it was week 1 of preseason. Feel free to add any thoughts.

chris98251

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":35q9w2iw said:

- Cmike looks like he could fulfill his promise after all this time. He looked very explosive and was protecting the ball late in runs.

- Tyvis Powell will make this team for his ST contributions alone. I think he might push Browner off the roster.

- I was happy to see the quick strike passing game on the 1st series. Really hoping they don't go back to run run pass and stick with what worked last year.

- Marsh strikes me as a guy who is a step too slow and shines in the preseason but in the regular season will be just a step away from making a play quite often.

- I think I saw Bryant in the backfield 3 or 4 times early in the game. That would be awesome.

- Heaps seems a bit more polished than Boykin, but Boykin put together a good 2 minute drill before half and a great end of game drive.

- I liked what I saw from Richardson. Boykin almost hit him in the 1st half for a TD, overthrew him just a bit.

Heaps should look more polished, he as time in the Pro's and knows what it's about and seen some fire.

getnasty

Reaction score
-I'm fine with Boykin as a backup, even before the last drive.
-I don't see how we don't keep 4 Rb's
-I love the uptempo spread offense
-OL looked better then average, against 2nd stringers
-Please give me Richardson, Graham, Lockett, Baldwin and Kearse on the field together.
-Why not give Collins more carries?
-Loved the emotion at the end of the game.
-Mcveoy's versatility is interesting

dogorama

Reaction score
getnasty":3nyn40x6 said:

The first drive, when they really moved the ball good, was against KC's first string defense. They run-blocked and pass protected. For a 1st preseason game I am VERY encouraged.

Edit: I didn't realize their two best pass-rushers were out.

kearly

Reaction score
I'll post some thoughts later after watching a 2nd time.

I lol'd when Richardson's first target was a go route that had him leave his feet and eat it. He actually got up afterwards this time, which was a nice change.

OP
OP
EverydayImRusselin

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
dogorama":27w9mg8a said:
getnasty":27w9mg8a said:

The first drive, when they really moved the ball good, was against KC's first string defense. They run-blocked and pass protected. For a 1st preseason game I am VERY encouraged.

Edit: I didn't realize their two best pass-rushers were out.

Even so, they still looked competent last preseason I was scared they were going to get Russ killed before week 1. On another positive note, with the exception of Sowell, all 4 guys are locked up for at least the next 2 years. If they pan out that means a decent OL for at least 2016/2017. I really liked what I saw and hope they stick with this lineup until it doesn't work.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
My thought is "I hope my friends don't kill me"...... as I'm hanging out watching the game on the 50 inch. :mrgreen:

dogorama

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3ofppxmm said:
My thought is "I hope my friends don't kill me"...... as I'm hanging out watching the game on the 50 inch. :mrgreen:

LOL! I watched Super Bowl 48 in a Cali bar full of 49er fans who seemingly had become Bronco fans overnight.

Getting out alive is a good thing.

Fade

Reaction score
I'm throwing a party for the O-Line play. It usually takes until week 8 for the O-Line to look avg.
2Fmediagiphycom2Fmedia2FUWESQjvxXXuPS2Fgiphy

1st series offense was very promising a lot of seam routes where Jimmy will be lethal. In breaking routes, quick passes, they look like they are going to pick up where they left off the 2nd half of last season offensively.

D wise 1st team didn't look good, but Pete will fix what needs to be fixed.

Boykin with more time can be a good backup, and I hope he gets the job, and they don't sign a veteran.

McGruff

Reaction score
Saw the first half.

I thought the oline looked good. Excellent in the running game. Solid in pass protection .

Russell looked like first series Russell. Erratic and off target. He missed Kearse low. Was bailed out fantastically by Lockett and was late and behind on the INT. But that just the way Russ is at the beginning of games. He settles down.

Michael was explosive and decisive. He'll never create like Marshawn, but he played on fire.

Britt was shockingly solid. Same with Sowell.

Fant was frustrating, but better than expected. At times he played lime a legit LT, and at other times like a guy who hasn't played football in 10 ywars. Still, I think there is something to work with there.

Simon was awful, and not just on the PI. Lane and Shead played much better.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Fun ending!

Impressed with Boykin's composure...There were a lot of "meh" moments in this game which you should expect in any first preseason game but all-in-all there were plenty of good takeaways. Wish our starting D appeared more stout in that first series but they were forced to start with horrible field position. That strike from Alex was, well...Good job, but flukey. It happens.

Christine Michael really impressed me. Looks like he's picking up where he left off. Very explosive, decisive and it is clear that protecting the ball is paramount. I am okay if he doesn't scratch out an extra yard or two at the cost of losing the football. He could be a pleasant comeback story. Pulling for him.

I thought Britt did a nice job at center and Russ said as much in his post game presser...Communication was great, and the OL held their own.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
So is Sokoli going to get cut? I've heard nothing of him in training camp and preseason. Every other lineman drafted has been talked at some point other than him.

Last year he was redshirted and there was talk of him at center. This year Britt, Lewis and Hunt seem to have it sewn up between them.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3q1j289p said:
So is Sokoli going to get cut? I've heard nothing of him in training camp and preseason. Every other lineman drafted has been talked at some point other than him.

I wonder if he still has practice squad eligibility? He certain isn't a risk to be signed to anyone's 53, yet there could still be value in developing him further

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
kobebryant":1tx474oj said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1tx474oj said:

I wonder if he still has practice squad eligibility? He certain isn't a risk to be signed to anyone's 53, yet there could still be value in developing him further

They kept him in the roster all last year albeit inactive for fear he'd be snapped up but he was only a 6th round pick

j hawk

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, Sokoli made a very good block on the game winning 2 point try. If he doesn't make the final 53 hope he gets to the PS. Very happy with the starting OL and CMike. Would like to have seen more of Alex Collins and the other backs that were out.

kearly

Reaction score
Only watched it 1.5 times, but here's what I got.

Both QBs played better than I thought they would. Boykin's inexperience is obvious, but he has some natural QB instincts and felt less raw at QB than you would expect. The touch on his deep ball was impressive. Now if only he could learn how to spike a football. Both guys suffered significantly from a sub-replacement level group of running backs and receivers, as Seattle is super thin at both positions currently due to minor injuries.

It's preseason for Pete too. He blew an obvious opportunity to challenge when Alex Smith converted a 3rd and 9 on his first drive. The receiver caught the ball while airborne and his second foot was clearly out of bounds. No challenge from Seattle, instead they have 12 in the huddle and take a stupid penalty. Ware gets the easy TD on the next play, but if Pete were paying attention, it would have been 3 points and not 7.

It's just a preseason game but boy did the D-line look bad, both starters and depth looked pretty awful. Spencer Ware looks way faster than he did when he was a Seahawk but there is no excuse for having your starting defense getting their asses kicked the by a 2nd/3rd string RB. We all know that having Kam and Bennett out is a big deal but it shouldn't have been THIS BIG of a deal. The pass rush was essentially non-existent as well.

I've always been a big skeptic of moving Clark to DE/LB. Clark is good at blowing up a ZBS running game and he's good at controlling gaps, but these are DT skills not DE skills. This game was a chance to convince me there is some logic to the move, but if anything it only reinforced my feelings. Clark was a total non-factor despite playing a lot of snaps. He totalled just one pressure that I know of. Yeah, it's really early but we all remember what he did really early in 2015. Unfortunately, Seattle has had Clark lose so much weight that he's already penciled in for this role rest of season, it's a real bummer.

I get that Seattle has seen a ton of Alex Collins in practices, but it was a real headscratcher for me that Collins totalled just 4 touches in this game. It's a very limited sample size, but Collins played EXACTLY like I thought he would. When he gets a head of steam, he can push for that extra yard as well as anyone. He'll be a great short yardage back for us. Unfortunately, Collins tied his shoes with Robert Turbin's shoelaces, and if you get even a tiny piece of Collins in the backfield before he makes those first couple steps towards the hole, he will go down with alarming ease. That's a problem, because our current OL talent and Cable's scheme means that backfield penetration on obvious running downs will be an issue our RBs have to overcome.

Haush was money. Jon Ryan, fresh off of his Jim Gaffigan audition, had a pretty good game as well.

Tyvis Powell was gifted a pick and fell down for no reason, potentially costing himself a real shot at a pick six. He had some head turning plays on specials though. He may have already made the initial 53 man roster based on his performance today.

I hate to say it, but Kenny Lawler didn't look like an NFL player today. I also don't believe for a second that he weighs 203 pounds. If he bulks up next offseason, I could see him having a chance. But the only way he makes the 2016 roster is if the rest of our WR depth is shambles.

Richardson played and didn't get hurt which was nice. But he didn't stand out as much as I thought he would either. Mixed bag.

I've always thought that Zach Miller was an exceedingly generous comp for Nick Vannett, but today it looked like a dead on comparison.

I didn't watch the OL super close, but I did see one play where Glowinsky dominated his block to set up a 9 yard run by C-Mike.

Britt seemed to do an okay job in the run game, but failed with stunt pickups just like before, allowing pressures that led to punts. He hasn't changed.

Jarran Reed looked exactly as expected. Gap sound, but a non-factor in the pass rush and struggles to penetrate into the backfield vs. the run. I think he is an okay player but I am starting to understand why he fell as far as he did in the draft.

Christine Michael looked better than ever. He could have been even more productive if not for a few rushed decisions. His new life motto seems to be do everything like your hair is on fire. It pays off between the tackles but there were a few 10 yard runs that could have been 30 yarders with a slightly less frantic style. Even during his postgame interview he seemed to be in turbo-mode, talking so fast that every third word was "man." In essence, Michael is going too fast for his processor to handle it. Hopefully he relaxes a bit at some point and he allows himself to slow the game down a bit.

I'm not sure if I blame the secondary or give credit to the Chiefs OC, but Alex Smith picked apart the secondary at will and on a few drives Nick Foles seemed to do the same. I lean towards crediting the OC rather than blaming our starters. The Chiefs were really good at staying on schedule and having that effective running game definitely made an impact on our pass D.

Wilson looked great other than his last pass. And even that pass probably would have only been picked off by a handful of corners in this league. Had Wilson put it further outside, it probably would have been a TD. I like that Wilson is going to have that play stuck in his mind all week at practice.

All three Seattle QBs suffered drops that made their statistical performances look worse than they really were.

The ending was hilarious. It was seriously some of the worst clock management I have ever seen to end a game, and it actually worked to our favor as McEvoy drew single coverage during the chaos and confusion.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Aros":57e64w4u said:
Fun ending!

Impressed with Boykin's composure...There were a lot of "meh" moments in this game which you should expect in any first preseason game but all-in-all there were plenty of good takeaways. Wish our starting D appeared more stout in that first series but they were forced to start with horrible field position. That strike from Alex was, well...Good job, but flukey. It happens.

Christine Michael really impressed me. Looks like he's picking up where he left off. Very explosive, decisive and it is clear that protecting the ball is paramount. I am okay if he doesn't scratch out an extra yard or two at the cost of losing the football. He could be a pleasant comeback story. Pulling for him.

I thought Britt did a nice job at center and Russ said as much in his post game presser...Communication was great, and the OL held their own.
Was watching Britt, and expected that he might have a few flub plays, but I came away with a whole new positive take on him, and if he can keep getting better and better, I think we will be set at Center for the next couple three Years.

MLOhawks

Reaction score
kearly":37oy6bek said:
Only watched it 1.5 times, but here's what I got.

Both QBs played better than I thought they would. Boykin's inexperience is obvious, but he has some natural QB instincts and felt less raw at QB than you would expect. The touch on his deep ball was impressive. Now if only he could learn how to spike a football. Both guys suffered significantly from a sub-replacement level group of running backs and receivers, as Seattle is super thin at both positions currently due to minor injuries.

It's preseason for Pete too. He blew an obvious opportunity to challenge when Alex Smith converted a 3rd and 9 on his first drive. The receiver caught the ball while airborne and his second foot was clearly out of bounds. No challenge from Seattle, instead they have 12 in the huddle and take a stupid penalty. Ware gets the easy TD on the next play, but if Pete were paying attention, it would have been 3 points and not 7.

It's just a preseason game but boy did the D-line look bad, both starters and depth looked pretty awful. Spencer Ware looks way faster than he did when he was a Seahawk but there is no excuse for having your starting defense getting their asses kicked the by a 2nd/3rd string RB. We all know that having Kam and Bennett out is a big deal but it shouldn't have been THIS BIG of a deal. The pass rush was essentially non-existent as well.

I've always been a big skeptic of moving Clark to DE/LB. Clark is good at blowing up a ZBS running game and he's good at controlling gaps, but these are DT skills not DE skills. This game was a chance to convince me there is some logic to the move, but if anything it only reinforced my feelings. Clark was a total non-factor despite playing a lot of snaps. He totalled just one pressure that I know of. Yeah, it's really early but we all remember what he did really early in 2015. Unfortunately, Seattle has had Clark lose so much weight that he's already penciled in for this role rest of season, it's a real bummer.

I get that Seattle has seen a ton of Alex Collins in practices, but it was a real headscratcher for me that Collins totalled just 4 touches in this game. It's a very limited sample size, but Collins played EXACTLY like I thought he would. When he gets a head of steam, he can push for that extra yard as well as anyone. He'll be a great short yardage back for us. Unfortunately, Collins tied his shoes with Robert Turbin's shoelaces, and if you get even a tiny piece of Collins in the backfield before he makes those first couple steps towards the hole, he will go down with alarming ease. That's a problem, because our current OL talent and Cable's scheme means that backfield penetration on obvious running downs will be an issue our RBs have to overcome.

Haush was money. Jon Ryan, fresh off of his Jim Gaffigan audition, had a pretty good game as well.

Tyvis Powell was gifted a pick and fell down for no reason, potentially costing himself a real shot at a pick six. He had some head turning plays on specials though. He may have already made the initial 53 man roster based on his performance today.

I hate to say it, but Kenny Lawler didn't look like an NFL player today. I also don't believe for a second that he weighs 203 pounds. If he bulks up next offseason, I could see him having a chance. But the only way he makes the 2016 roster is if the rest of our WR depth is shambles.

Richardson played and didn't get hurt which was nice. But he didn't stand out as much as I thought he would either. Mixed bag.

I've always thought that Zach Miller was an exceedingly generous comp for Nick Vannett, but today it looked like a dead on comparison.

I didn't watch the OL super close, but I did see one play where Glowinsky dominated his block to set up a 9 yard run by C-Mike.

Britt seemed to do an okay job in the run game, but failed with stunt pickups just like before, allowing pressures that led to punts. He hasn't changed.

Jarran Reed looked exactly as expected. Gap sound, but a non-factor in the pass rush and struggles to penetrate into the backfield vs. the run. I think he is an okay player but I am starting to understand why he fell as far as he did in the draft.

Christine Michael looked better than ever. He could have been even more productive if not for a few rushed decisions. His new life motto seems to be do everything like your hair is on fire. It pays off between the tackles but there were a few 10 yard runs that could have been 30 yarders with a slightly less frantic style. Even during his postgame interview he seemed to be in turbo-mode, talking so fast that every third word was "man." In essence, Michael is going too fast for his processor to handle it. Hopefully he relaxes a bit at some point and he allows himself to slow the game down a bit.

I'm not sure if I blame the secondary or give credit to the Chiefs OC, but Alex Smith picked apart the secondary at will and on a few drives Nick Foles seemed to do the same. I lean towards crediting the OC rather than blaming our starters. The Chiefs were really good at staying on schedule and having that effective running game definitely made an impact on our pass D.

Wilson looked great other than his last pass. And even that pass probably would have only been picked off by a handful of corners in this league. Had Wilson put it further outside, it probably would have been a TD. I like that Wilson is going to have that play stuck in his mind all week at practice.

All three Seattle QBs suffered drops that made their statistical performances look worse than they really were.

The ending was hilarious. It was seriously some of the worst clock management I have ever seen to end a game, and it actually worked to our favor as McEvoy drew single coverage during the chaos and confusion.

It was a preseason game with no game plan, vanilla plays. You are reading way too much into things at this point.

Rob12

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":5cc7apel said:

I don't see a scenario where Browner doesn't make the team. Like most everything else you said. I think Browner's presence alone brings a lot to the defense. He's a Seahawk in 2016, book it.