Justin Britt and the O-line

smashmouth59

Reaction score
Prior to the game I was telling my friend about the Danny O'Neal parcing Peet segment (thurs or fri) in which he basically says Gilliam isn't working out at lt, Webb is a disaster, and Sowell is only playing because of necessity. I have heard it said that our entire season comes down to Gilliam, and if that is the case we are already screwed.

I was delighted by the opening series.

Justin looked like he had a decent series. He had good interior push on Dontari Poe during one of Michaels' nice gains. The interior line looks a lot more powerful in general. Russ said after the game that he an Britt were communicating really well. I was absolutely shocked at how much time Russell had on passing plays. I realize the Chiefs had a couple pass rushers out but still our protection was decent.

I went from doom and gloom to Super Bowl bound in about 5 minutes. Typical preseason mentality.

Gonna be a wild ride this year.

gargantual

Reaction score
smashmouth59":m3hbo9qe said:
I was absolutely shocked at how much time Russel had on passing plays. I realize the Chiefs had a couple pass rushers out but still our protection was decent.

Was eerie, wasn't it? Like seeing a unicorn or something. Just not used to seeing Russnot running for dear life every play.

KC had 2 monster pass rushers out tho. Hopefully they can keep it up going forward. If nothing else it's a big confidence booster.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
In the post-game interview, Wilson says that this O-line is farther ahead than any of his previous 4 seasons with the 'Hawks. I thought they looked very decent (missing Chief D-linemen noted). Even Britt seemed decent and comfortable; even his shotgun snaps looked better than any of Unger's in all his seasons here.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Still nervous about them even if they do well all preseason. Given we play Suh, Aaron Donald in their first two games I hope the starters are decided within the next game and they get as many reps as possible as a unit together.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Bradley60Sowell/status/764631281850351616[/tweet]

13651660_1770771079858808_694832167_n.jpg

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":7h2u40sf said:
In the post-game interview, Wilson says that this O-line is farther ahead than any of his previous 4 seasons with the 'Hawks. I thought they looked very decent (missing Chief D-linemen noted). Even Britt seemed decent and comfortable; even his shotgun snaps looked better than any of Unger's in all his seasons here.
Good points. The accuracy of the shot gun snap has been an overlooked problem that helped magnify our other o line issues. The half second spent looking for the ball on even a slightly errant snap takes the QBs eyes and attention off the defense and disrupts timing as well.

cover-2

Reaction score
Here were my thoughts going into the game and then my thoughts after the game of the starting o-line. Side note: I watched & re-watched every offensive snap at least 5 times with our starting o-line.

(LT) Sowell (before the game) - I had low expectations of him, given that it took him until this last week to be part of the stating o-line. I thought he was going to be a hot mess.
(after the game) - Sowell, at least in this game, looks like he could be an above average LT for us.

(LG) Glowinski (before the game) - I was really excited to see Glo, because of his upside. He is a very good athlete for an o-lineman and he is supposedly one of the strongest players in the weight room.
(after the game) - Glo was very disappointing, not that he was horrible, but I just had such high hopes for him. He fell off blocks, lost his balance a hand full of times, seen him tossed aside a couple of times. Maybe yesterdays game was a one-off for Glo.

(OC) Britt (before the game) - I had completely written off Britt and was expecting to see him look like a new born deer trying to walk on ice. Britt was a turnstile at RT and LG, I was expecting move of the same with him at OC.
(after the game) - Damn, Britt was very impressive at OC. He won the vast majority of his plays, only once did I see him lose his battle. He held his ground, did good at combo blocks, when he pulled to the second level he found a defender to block. Very, very impressive game for Britt.

(RG) Ifedi (before the game) - I was fairly excited to see Ifedi play. I like his size, his playing temperament at practice, and I like the he is a super-sized athlete. I questioned whether his on the field temperament that he has shown at practice would show up on game day, because I didn't really notice it when he was at Texas A&M.
(after the game) - Overall Ifedi had a good game. It was fun to see the few time he got the opportunity to block Chiefs nose tackle Dontari Poe, whom is 6-3 345 lbs and the best nose tackle in the NFL. Ifedi was able to push big Poe around a bit. His on the field bully mentality didn't show up in this game, I was expecting to see him play right up until the echo of the whistle, kind of like Breno Giacomini. Ifedi did get pushed back once or twice back into the QB, but overall he looked nice for his first game.

(RT) Gilliam (before the game) - I have complete confidence in Gilliam and think he has the ability to be a Pro Bowl player.
(after the game) - My thoughts on him did not change, he looked good and highly athletic.

Overall these five guys look like they could easily be our starting five for the season. Going off this one game, if I had to choose the weak link of the bunch it would be Glowinski.

Jville

Reaction score
Own The West":39qrfdpt said:
Jville":39qrfdpt said:

Why's everybody's neck so long?

It's a brilliant uniform design. An optical illusion. By making the shoulders look lower, it invites flags on opponent's hands to the face of linemen and blows to the head of ball carriers.

Stealthy optics by design.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
cover-2":21snmwb9 said:
Here were my thoughts going into the game and then my thoughts after the game of the starting o-line. Side note: I watched & re-watched every offensive snap at least 5 times with our starting o-line.

(LT) Sowell (before the game) - I had low expectations of him, given that it took him until this last week to be part of the stating o-line. I thought he was going to be a hot mess.
(after the game) - Sowell, at least in this game, looks like he could be an above average LT for us.

(LG) Glowinski (before the game) - I was really excited to see Glo, because of his upside. He is a very good athlete for an o-lineman and he is supposedly one of the strongest players in the weight room.
(after the game) - Glo was very disappointing, not that he was horrible, but I just had such high hopes for him. He fell off blocks, lost his balance a hand full of times, seen him tossed aside a couple of times. Maybe yesterdays game was a one-off for Glo.

(OC) Britt (before the game) - I had completely written off Britt and was expecting to see him look like a new born deer trying to walk on ice. Britt was a turnstile at RT and LG, I was expecting move of the same with him at OC.
(after the game) - Damn, Britt was very impressive at OC. He won the vast majority of his plays, only once did I see him lose his battle. He held his ground, did good at combo blocks, when he pulled to the second level he found a defender to block. Very, very impressive game for Britt.

(RG) Ifedi (before the game) - I was fairly excited to see Ifedi play. I like his size, his playing temperament at practice, and I like the he is a super-sized athlete. I questioned whether his on the field temperament that he has shown at practice would show up on game day, because I didn't really notice it when he was at Texas A&M.
(after the game) - Overall Ifedi had a good game. It was fun to see the few time he got the opportunity to block Chiefs nose tackle Dontari Poe, whom is 6-3 345 lbs and the best nose tackle in the NFL. Ifedi was able to push big Poe around a bit. His on the field bully mentality didn't show up in this game, I was expecting to see him play right up until the echo of the whistle, kind of like Breno Giacomini. Ifedi did get pushed back once or twice back into the QB, but overall he looked nice for his first game.

Great observations and analysis. I missed glow getting pushed around, but believe you did see it. That is a little concerning, but i think it will get worked out.

I missed glow getting pushed around because he was the least I was worried about, and was watching other players. I watched Sowell closely, and man did he play well. I am elated by the prospect. I know Hali and Houston were missing, but kc's d line is great too. And the guys playing behind Hali and Houston are no joke. Both of them have been injured in the past and there wasn't much dropoff in the effectiveness of the d.

Gilliam is no surprise to me. He was top 5 or 10 most improved o lineman by the end of last year, just can't remember where exactly the article I read listed him on list of most improved.
As giliam highlighted himself, he was the backup left tackle his first season on the o line, so I'm not too worried about him if he has to move. But if Sowell can continue to play the way he has, there should be no reason to move him over. Gilliam has the potential to be better than okung, I think they were genius to let the walking injury go.

The first snap, I saw Britt calling protection at the line, and was immediately hopefull. Again, if he can keep this level of play up, he may have found a long term home. The coaches have always said he was a smart player, so maybe this is going to be a natural fit. He wasn't perfect, but I didn't expect him to be. He played 100 times better than I expected. I thought this would be the 1 and only game he started at center. Maybe not. And if he ends up not working out, we know pat lewis can come in and rescue the year.

Ifedi is a monster of a man. He looked really good for a rookie lineman. We may have found us a stud for the next decade plus.

Overall, I am so freaking happy with how this is turning out. I know it was a couple of series, and all of this may be a little premature. But on the other hand, it told us a lot about the potential. They faced a high quality opponent, and consistently won the battle. The communication problems of last year don't seem to exist. These are all monster dudes, and strong as the night is dark. Hopefully glow works out, or evans makes a successful switch to left guard. This group has the potential to be better than average this year, and good to great in the future. I am pretty sure that from the beginning, they will be a lot better than last year. I really hope this line makes all the "doom and gloomers " feel silly at the end of the year, and makes me not look like a douchebag for being so optimistic all off season, lol.

Jville

Reaction score
I think the efforts of Rees Odhiambe at four (4) different positions is deserving of special recognition. It's astonishing to see a rookie step on the field in his very first game and demonstrate such versatile competence. Possessing excellent athleticism and conditioning, Rees Odiambe as a 6th lineman appears on his way toward becoming the replacement for Alvin Bailey. Can't wait to see how he progresses between now and Thursday verses the Vikings.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I hope he keeps it up, reminds me of Unger when he was being used in different spots until he found a home at center.

kf3339

Reaction score
Jville":16zryppg said:
I think the efforts of Rees Odhiambe at four (4) different positions is deserving of special recognition. It's astonishing to see a rookie step on the field in his very first game and demonstrate such versatile competence. Possessing excellent athleticism and conditioning, Rees Odiambe as a 6th lineman appears on his way toward becoming the replacement for Alvin Bailey. Can't wait to see how he progresses between now and Thursday verses the Vikings.

It's great that he can be versatile, but I would prefer they figure out a long term starting spot for him and make that the plan.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
cover-2":3quyppja said:

(RT) Gilliam (before the game) - I have complete confidence in Gilliam and think he has the ability to be a Pro Bowl player.
(after the game) - My thoughts on him did not change, he looked good and highly athletic.

Overall these five guys look like they could easily be our starting five for the season. Going off this one game, if I had to choose the weak link of the bunch it would be Glowinski.

This is spot on . . . no wasted words here.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Jville":3u2b4jgv said:

Excellent point. Gotta love it. Did anybody notice him getting schooled, or did he hold his own. Unfortunately, I didn't notice.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":2nbsfx6g said:
Jville":2nbsfx6g said:

Excellent point. Gotta love it. Did anybody notice him getting schooled, or did he hold his own. Unfortunately, I didn't notice.

He struggled while trying to play on the right side.

Basis4day

Reaction score
The O-Line always takes a couple regular season games to get going. Injuries especially derail the ZBS.

I'm encouraged by the starters yesterday. They at least looked competent.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
I think Odi played pretty solid at LT, but not so much at RT.....I personally would leave Ifedi and Gilliam at the Right side and Glowinski and whomever emerges at Center in place.

I like Sowell or Odi as a long term solution at LT and ironically I saw Evans and he looks done....I'd probably pull the plug on both Evans and Webb, but Poole is so shaky that one of these two (Evans and Webb) will likely survive and you need veteran depth on your roster. If Poole showed anything yesterday, I'd deem Schneider's last 2 drafts as aces, when they appeared at this time last year as shaky.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
If anyone is looking for a seriously good power play by the OL, check out the one that got CMike down to the KC 25 in the early 1st Qtr SH drive. It followed three other good power plays but that one was a thing of beauty, including for how CM took advantage so perfectly. Absolute team domination and a very encouraging sign of the power game's potential.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":1ub6o1vu said:
If anyone is looking for a seriously good power play by the OL, check out the one that got CMike down to the KC 25 in the early 1st Qtr SH drive. It followed three other good power plays but that one was a thing of beauty, including for how CM took advantage so perfectly. Absolute team domination and a very encouraging sign of the power game's potential.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JaredStanger ... 92/video/1