Alex Collins

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
In the disappointment column....I sure didn't see enough of Alex Collins today for my liking. What I did see I liked, but way too few touches.

Rob12

Reaction score
It was odd that he only got three carries. Gotta think he tweaked the ankle again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ACFan

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1bc02nqu said:
In the disappointment column....I sure didn't see enough of Alex Collins today for my liking. What I did see I liked, but way too few touches.

I think the combination of RB injuries, and how impressive AC has been in two weeks of practice with the 1st team, earned him virtual protected status for this first preseason game.

Starting C-Mike gave him some more make up time with the ones (it had been mostly AC in camp).
Then they had a lot of new guys they NEEDED to evaluate. I think a lot of the questions concerning AC have already been answered in camp.

Even after everyone heals, AC seems no worse than the 3rd back, is currently a strong 2nd back.

Curious if he gets the start Thursday night in Dallas, or if they go with C-Mike again.

I think Wilson + Collins, we'll go right down the field for 7.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
ACFan":1kieegth said:
Jazzhawk":1kieegth said:

I think the combination of RB injuries, and how impressive AC has been in two weeks of practice with the 1st team, earned him virtual protected status for this first preseason game.

Starting C-Mike gave him some more make up time with the ones (it had been mostly AC in camp).
Then they had a lot of new guys they NEEDED to evaluate. I think a lot of the questions concerning AC have already been answered in camp.

Even after everyone heals, AC seems no worse than the 3rd back, is currently a strong 2nd back.

Curious if he gets the start Thursday night in Dallas, or if they go with C-Mike again.

I think Wilson + Collins, we'll go right down the field for 7.

I understand your fanhood/enthusiasm. That said, I'm not sure what you meant by 'currently a strong 2nd back.' Christine Michael and Thomas Rawls will almost certainly grab the #1 and 2 spots. It's also premature to say he's a 3rd-at-worst, as Brooks and Prosise still have time to show something. I would say he currently has the edge for the third spot, but if Prosise gets heathy and shows he can add the dimension Pete is looking for, the water becomes murkier for Collins.

ACFan

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":j0px3ybc said:
I understand your fanhood/enthusiasm. That said, I'm not sure what you meant by 'currently a strong 2nd back.' .

I meant if the season started today. you'd probably see RB by committee, C-Mike and Collins.

That's the way it's been through camp, the way it was yesterday, C-Mike 1, Collins 2.

HawKnPeppa":j0px3ybc said:
Christine Michael and Thomas Rawls will almost certainly grab the #1 and 2 spots. It's also premature to say he's a 3rd-at-worst, as Brooks and Prosise still have time to show something. I would say he currently has the edge for the third spot, but if Prosise gets heathy and shows he can add the dimension Pete is looking for, the water becomes murkier for Collins.

I can't see how that's certain when Collins has excelled at every opportunity he's been given and others can't even get on the field for serious practice.

If it's contingent upon what Brooks and Prosise have to show later on, the same should be said for Collins right now.

What if he shows he's an equal receiver to Prosise? (assuming he sees the field by Sept).

What if he shows he's as powerful and as an effective runner as C-Mike or Rawls? (assuming he sees the field by Sept).

Competition. I anticipate Collins having the opportunity over the next 3 weeks, to state his case, not just to make the team, but to be a serious contributer in '16. We'll see what he does with it.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
I read a pc quote saying they hope to have prosise ready for this Thursdays game. That was several days ago, so I don't know if he is on track. I sure hope so, because I think he is going to shake this whole RB competiton up.

OP
OP
Jazzhawk

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I just found it curious that they had Farmer running for a quarter+ when we pretty much know that he won't make the team as a RB. I was hoping to see much more of Collins. I can only think that they've seen enough of him in practice. But maybe they know he needs to be on the Practice Squad and don't want to show too much of him to other teams? I don't know...just surmising.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Not enough reps to fairly evaluate him. He moved the pile on one play, flashed a sweet stiff arm on another, and then got tripped up in the backfield.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Just a thought here, but with a short week in pre-season it would make sense to give one of the backs more looks in the first game, and the other one more looks in the second, just to keep the wear-and-tear down with Rawls only just returning from injury.

I would not at all be surprised if Week 1 was Michael's, Week 2 is Collins', and Week 3 starts with Rawls, subbed by whoever did better between Collins and Michael.

That keeps the stress off Rawls, and lets Colliins have a shot - like Michael did - with fresh legs even though it's a quick turnaround.

I'm not reading anything into game time yet.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":r5m85qeu said:
Just a thought here, but with a short week in pre-season it would make sense to give one of the backs more looks in the first game, and the other one more looks in the second, just to keep the wear-and-tear down with Rawls only just returning from injury.

I would not at all be surprised if Week 1 was Michael's, Week 2 is Collins', and Week 3 starts with Rawls, subbed by whoever did better between Collins and Michael.

That keeps the stress off Rawls, and lets Colliins have a shot - like Michael did - with fresh legs even though it's a quick turnaround.

Good point! I expect Collins to get a ton of carries on Thursday behind the first team offensive line. They might as well rest Michael to allow him to recover.

Vikings have a physical defensive line led by Everson Griffen, Sharrif Floyd, and Linval Joseph. This should be a great test for the offensive line and Collins.

dogorama

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":20qd6k1g said:
I just found it curious that they had Farmer running for a quarter+ when we pretty much know that he won't make the team as a RB. I was hoping to see much more of Collins. I can only think that they've seen enough of him in practice. But maybe they know he needs to be on the Practice Squad and don't want to show too much of him to other teams? I don't know...just surmising.

Me too, was it just lack of backs? Until this plays out all we know is that Rawls is first and CMike is second. It is far too early to award anyone anything after that. I am far from sold on AC at this point.

Wartooth

Reaction score
Collins looks the part if you go and watch some of the games he played last year on the youtube.
I was kind of looking forward to seeing him a little more yesterday myself.
I hope he gets his chance, he could be a very solid back for them.
I also think CMike will be the back up, and may even push Rawls if he has a slow start coming back.
This is a nice 'problem' to have with Marshawn retiring, it's looking good!

Fade

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1kutzis8 said:

Was gonna post this.

Basis4day

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1fmmfdi3 said:

If he ends up taking a lot of carries Thurs i think you're on to something.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Carroll said today that Collins just didn't get enough work last week to play more than he did. Didn't want to push him too far. Also said Collins "should be very active this week."

ACFan

Reaction score
hawknation2016":1eymh074 said:
Carroll said today that Collins just didn't get enough work last week to play more than he did. Didn't want to push him too far. Also said Collins "should be very active this week."

good to hear, thanks!

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Wartooth":a6c6gx7n said:
Collins looks the part if you go and watch some of the games he played last year on the youtube.
I was kind of looking forward to seeing him a little more yesterday myself.
I hope he gets his chance, he could be a very solid back for them.
I also think CMike will be the back up, and may even push Rawls if he has a slow start coming back.
This is a nice 'problem' to have with Marshawn retiring, it's looking good!

We all know the story come September 4th. The Hawks will often let a good player go early hoping that he can get a chance with another team. "We had to let some really good players go today", said Pete Carroll......right now all the new players to the team are keeping their fingers crossed.

ACFan

Reaction score
hawknation2016":35vh8ieo said:

Kind of an odd statement really, since Collins seemed to be the primary workhorse through most of camp.

My interpretation is CPC is just doing a good job of nursing the competition along.

"should be very active" almost sounds like he'll start, the stage was set for C-Mike to shine last week, may be Collins' turn Thursday.

ACFan

Reaction score
disappointed in AC's performance last night.

dropping that first pass was the worst, he'll catch that most of the time.

His running opportunities with the first team were disappointing, a consecutive 3rd and one and a 4th and one with little room to work with, almost got the 1st with a 2nd surge but not enough.

Not a good way to start the game and get in a groove.

I was hoping to see some 1st and 2nd down runs with the first team to start him off.

C-Mike got all those and looked great. AC got some similar opportunities later with the second team and did OK.

Maybe in week 3 AC will have a better chance to show what he can do.