So...they blacked out Fairbanks, Alaska again

ivotuk

Reaction score
Absolutley ridiculous! The game wasn't on until 9:00PM last night! So I still haven't seen it.

I wonder if they'll black out the TNF game? This has been going on for several years and I still haven't gotten a reasonable explanation from Directv. Likely because they have no idea why either. &&%*#&@#^% :evil:

kidhawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":26mh3p3j said:
Absolutley ridiculous! The game wasn't on until 9:00PM last night! So I still haven't seen it.

I wonder if they'll black out the TNF game? This has been going on for several years and I still haven't gotten a reasonable explanation from Directv. Likely because they have no idea why either. &&%*#&@#^% :evil:

I mentioned this in another thread earlier, and it's not directv, it's not dish network and it's not the NFL Network that are to blame.

Pre season games are sold exclusively to local markets. An Alaska network (your alaska link is what they call themselves) which own stations in Anchorage and Juneau (I thought they used to own a station in Fairbanks, but I'm not finding it atm) bought the rights to air those games in Alaska. This means that the feeds from NFL Network to Alaska won't carry the Seahawks pre season game live whenever that network is airing them, and thus the blackout.

It won't affect TNF, as the NFLN has deals worked out between themselves, CBS and NBC to air the games.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1r822ybk said:
Southern Alaska, duh.

What a pile of dung though!

LOL POTD! Seattle has always been regarded as South Alaska so, no surprise!

Im a comcast guy myself....Im sure you have a friend or two that has comcast. Borrow their online login Thursday. You should be able to watch it online.

253hawk

Reaction score
At least you get the replay. JoeTV, which does the replays here, is part of the Dish/FOX squabble. So no airing on FOX, no airing on NFLN, and no re-airing on JoeTV.

The only way I was able to watch was through grey-area means, even though I pay for $150/month worth of cable internet and satellite TV. And I only recently got NFLN and RedZone back.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1vm1yoiy said:
vin.couve12":1vm1yoiy said:
Southern Alaska, duh.

Im a comcast guy myself....Im sure you have a friend or two that has comcast. Borrow their online login Thursday. You should be able to watch it online.

Is it though? I've never heard it called that outside of these boards

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kidhawk":2jgn9q7g said:
ivotuk":2jgn9q7g said:

I mentioned this in another thread earlier, and it's not directv, it's not dish network and it's not the NFL Network that are to blame.

Pre season games are sold exclusively to local markets. An Alaska network (your alaska link is what they call themselves) which own stations in Anchorage and Juneau (I thought they used to own a station in Fairbanks, but I'm not finding it atm) bought the rights to air those games in Alaska. This means that the feeds from NFL Network to Alaska won't carry the Seahawks pre season game live whenever that network is airing them, and thus the blackout.

It won't affect TNF, as the NFLN has deals worked out between themselves, CBS and NBC to air the games.
Dang, regardless, that sucks. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that crap.

captSE

Reaction score
If it's nobody's fault (Kidhawk), who is selling these games then? Who's getting the money?

I can pay-per view any thing on Directv that's for sale. Why not a freaking footbal game?

It pisses me off that they pick on the most affected fans and it leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. I can watch any football game (that somebody else paid for) but I can't watch a J$%^&*( Seahawk game. Why do they victimize us? I mean, I can watch them all except my beloved team. This is JUST wrong. Why don't I or most Alaskans matter?

Basis4day

Reaction score
captSE":281km1bk said:
If it's nobodies fault (Kidhawk), who is selling these games then? Who's getting the money.
I can pay-per view any thing on Directv that's for sale. Why not a freaking footbal game?
It pisses me off that they pick on the most affected fans and it leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. I can watch any football game (that somebody else paif for) but I can't watch a J$%^&*( Seahawk game. Why do they victimize us? i mean, I can watch them all except my beloved team. This is JUST wrong. Why don't I or most Alaskans matter?

Preseason does have PPV. It's part of game pass.

907Hawk

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2st60vjc said:
gowazzu02":2st60vjc said:
vin.couve12":2st60vjc said:
Southern Alaska, duh.

Yes John it is definitely South Alaska, you are welcome.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
ivotuk":3bmhj9yh said:

That's too bad. Plenty to do in Alaska this time of year, from what I gathered during a recent 2-week visit to Fairbanks. Just sayin! :mrgreen:

kidhawk

Reaction score
captSE":p4andd8u said:
If it's nobodies fault (Kidhawk), who is selling these games then? Who's getting the money.
It pisses me off that they pick on the most affected fans and it leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. I can watch any football game (that somebody else paif for) but I can't watch a J$%^&*( Seahawk game. Why do they victimize us? i mean, I can watch them all except my beloved team. This is JUST wrong. Why don't I or most Alaskans matter?

I didn't say it's nobody's fault, but it's certainly not DISH, DIRECTV or the NFL Network at fault. They are all corporations who must follow contract law. I am not certain if the NFL allows each team the selling rights to pre season games or if the NFL sells them (I'd guess it's the NFL, but can't state it as an absolute fact), but either way, the preseason is sold as a package. An Alaska company that owns multiple stations bought the rights for Alaska. The fact that they don't air it in some places is not the fault of DISH, DirecTV or the NFLNetwork. Blame lies with the company that currently owns the right. They either need to exempt Fairbanks from the conract, air the games in Fairbanks or resell the rights to someone in Fairbanks. That company is [urltargetblank]http://www.youralaskalink.com/[/urltargetblank]

P.S. Most Alaskans get the game through the Anchorage/Juneau affiliates, so to say most alaskans is a bit disingenuous, but it certainly is a problem that could be fixed, the angst just needs to be aimed at the right people and that's the company who buys the rights.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":qnia0zm6 said:
gowazzu02":qnia0zm6 said:
vin.couve12":qnia0zm6 said:
Southern Alaska, duh.

As I recall, that was said by Joey Go-away after he left for Tampa or wherever it was, that he didn't like playing in South Alaska.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Fairbanks sucks. Really, really, bad. This is just a symptom of it.

TatupuIsRRRR

Reaction score
As I recall, that was said by Joey Go-away after he left for Tampa or wherever it was, that he didn't like playing in South Alaska.

I know I also heard Jimmy Johnson use that line in one of the Fox pre-games in '05.

A

Anonymous

Correct, it was Galloway that said that.

Since Go-away is from Ohio, he probably wasn't talking about the weather either. Ohio does get an actual summer.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
bmorepunk":nmliwy3m said:
Fairbanks sucks. Really, really, bad. This is just a symptom of it.
You really need to get outside more.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Getting out of Fairbanks was one of the happiest moments of my life.