Stanley Jean-Baptiste has been Waived/Injured

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
This is the corresponding roster move to the Tony McDaniel signing. SJB has at least a partially torn labrum from his shoulder dislocation, which may require surgery.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I was at the game ... when he got hurt, it didn't look good. He was really wincing and holding his arm up.

I was assuming it was a shoulder thing...

OP
OP
N

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3oaraage said:
He'll probably be back on the PS at some point in the year.
Umm, no, he probably won't. Lambrum injuries - even those which don't require surgery - are very long-term recoveries, typically 2-4 months of rehab AFTER the first month in a sling. And again, that's assuming no surgery. SJB will not be playing any more football this season.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":1zdfbr4o said:
vin.couve12":1zdfbr4o said:
He'll probably be back on the PS at some point in the year.
Umm, no, he probably won't. Lambrum injuries - even those which don't require surgery - are very long-term recoveries, typically 2-4 months of rehab AFTER the first month in a sling. And again, that's assuming no surgery. SJB will not be playing any more football this season.

I agree. From what I have observed with previous players with this injury, I doubt that he is ready before Halloween.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2lzir76a said:
I was at the game ... when he got hurt, it didn't look good. He was really wincing and holding his arm up.

I was assuming it was a shoulder thing...

Saw it yesterday on DVD and today too. Also saw you two behind ADB during his interview. And of course behind C-Mike.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
If he wasn't injured, could he have made the team? This guy was a top talent coming out of Nebraska?
I haven't seen him play, but I doubt he could have made the team.
His NFL career might be over !!!

HawkGA

Reaction score
joeseahawks":3t19racw said:
If he wasn't injured, could he have made the team? This guy was a top talent coming out of Nebraska?
I haven't seen him play, but I doubt he could have made the team.
His NFL career might be over !!!

Not making the Seahawks' defensive backfield is hardly a sign one's career might be over. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets another shot in, say, Atlanta or Jacksonville (depending on how their coaching situation looks next year).

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Too bad for Stanley, thought he was improving his technique and starting to understand what was needed here. He has rare measureables and could still put it together. This will test his determination to play in the NFL.

His injury is one that will need surgery and lots of work to come back from, I'd believe he'll be out for the season and will be back next year to try again to move up the depth chart. He will most probably clear waivers and be placed on IR.

Next man up.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
It's a shame he's out for the year. I daw him as someone who had an outside chance to make the roster or at the very least the PS.

Best of luck to him in the future, he's talented enough to make a NFL roster.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":ny89ycc8 said:
HawkGA":ny89ycc8 said:
What does a waived/injured person get?

Usually some kind of settlement...not a lot of money, though.

Not quite. The waived/injured designation is the first step in either placing SJB on the IR list, or coming to an injury settlement.

Prior to the first cutdown date (Aug 30th for the 2016 season) a player with less than 4 years experience cannot be placed directly onto the IR list or given an injury settlement. He must be waived/ injured and clear waivers first.

There is a gentlemen's agreement that waived/injured players are not picked up by other teams, but this agreement has been broken before.

Once SJB clears waivers, the Seahawks will have the option of either placing him on the IR list or negotiating an injury settlement.

So, in terms of "what he gets." If he is claimed on waivers or placed on the Seahawks IR list, he will receive his $525,000 salary for the year. If he comes to a injury settlement, they will negotiate how many weeks they predict it to be before he can return to play and pay him $32,812.50 for each of the predicted weeks.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1tcbr1t1 said:
FlyingGreg":1tcbr1t1 said:
HawkGA":1tcbr1t1 said:
What does a waived/injured person get?

Usually some kind of settlement...not a lot of money, though.

Not quite. The waived/injured designation is the first step in either placing SJB on the IR list, or coming to an injury settlement.

Prior to the first cutdown date (Aug 30th for the 2016 season) a player with less than 4 years experience cannot be placed directly onto the IR list or given an injury settlement. He must be waived/ injured and clear waivers first.

There is a gentlemen's agreement that waived/injured players are not picked up by other teams, but this agreement has been broken before.

Once SJB clears waivers, the Seahawks will have the option of either placing him on the IR list or negotiating an injury settlement.

So, in terms of "what he gets." If he is claimed on waivers or placed on the Seahawks IR list, he will receive his $525,000 salary for the year. If he comes to a injury settlement, they will negotiate how many weeks they predict it to be before he can return to play and pay him $32,812.50 for each of the predicted weeks.
Didn't we just have this conversation about Cooper, bigsky? Thanks for keeping us informed.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Hahaha. Yes we did.

SJB cleared waivers and reverts to the Seahawks IR. They now have 5 days to negotiate an injury settlement or else he will remain on Seahawks IR for the season.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Do people on IR count against the cap? I know SJB is unlikely to because presumably he's one of the lower earners and only your top 50? count.

RynoHawk

Reaction score
actually, he was signed by the Lions.....but then cut, then signed by the hawks again..... I am so confused..

bigskydoc

Reaction score
RynoHawk":14jl36bz said:
actually, he was signed by the Lions.....but then cut, then signed by the hawks again..... I am so confused..

??? Where did you see that?

He was signed to the Lions practice squad in September 2015, a day after being cut by New Orleans. He lasted until December when he was cut and then signed to the Seahawks practice squad. He signed a reserve/futures contract with the Seahawks in February of this year. Following the injury, he was given a waived/injured designation. After he cleared waivers, he was placed on the Seahawks IR list. I can't find anywhere that he went to the Lions after spending time with the Hawks.

UK_Seahawk":14jl36bz said:
Do people on IR count against the cap? I know SJB is unlikely to because presumably he's one of the lower earners and only your top 50? count.

Yes, all IR salaries count against the cap in the regular season. It is only during the offseason that salary cap calculations are limited to the top 51 salaries. SJB will count $525,000 against the cap unless we come to an injury settlement with him. If I were him, I would not agree to a settlement.

- bsd