Should we retire Easley's jersey?

• Yes

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 20 22.2%

• Total voters

Erebus

Reaction score
If we were going to retire it, that should've happened long ago. I don't think making the Hall of Fame should be the deciding factor.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Erebus":2ikae7tt said:
If we were going to retire it, that should've happened long ago. I don't think making the Hall of Fame should be the deciding factor.

Easley and the Seahawks had a rather tenuous parting of the ways. It's understandable why his number wouldn't have been retired at the time. They have more recently, mended fences, so this would be a good opportunity to reconsider it.

253hawk

Reaction score
I hate retiring numbers. On a long enough timeline, there won't be enough numbers left to field a team.

dogorama

Reaction score
C'mon people! Hall of freaking Fame and you don't think we should retire his number? Then we're talking about running out of numbers? Who says we can't go to three digits? I wouldn't mind 911 (call for help), or better yet, 666! but they probly only let the Raiders have that number.

Who are the four people that voted against? I want their names.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
253hawk":2q0xyq5m said:
I hate retiring numbers. On a long enough timeline, there won't be enough numbers left to field a team.

Human life won't last another 100 years, so there's nothing to worry about.

Erebus

Reaction score
Maulbert":26dnppsr said:
Erebus":26dnppsr said:

We didn't retire #96 until Tez made the HoF.

I've been of the opinion that his number should've been retired long ago and they probably wouldn't do it now considering all the numbers likely to be retired from the current team (at least three). Ideally you don't want to drop below 90 available numbers, but fringe roster guys in training camp can share numbers, as long as one is on defense and one on offense. You are correct about Tez, and my statement about Easley was not very well thought out.

sutz

Reaction score
Actually it already is retired in all but name. Nobody wears it beyond training camp. :229031_shrug:

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Erebus":ox952b4j said:
Maulbert":ox952b4j said:
Erebus":ox952b4j said:

We didn't retire #96 until Tez made the HoF.

I've been of the opinion that his number should've been retired long ago and they probably wouldn't do it now considering all the numbers likely to be retired from the current team (at least three). Ideally you don't want to drop below 90 available numbers, but fringe roster guys in training camp can share numbers, as long as one is on defense and one on offense. You are correct about Tez, and my statement about Easley was not very well thought out.

I will say this: putting aside whether or not a HoFer should have their number retired, I do believe we shouldn't retire the number of any player not in the HoF. I believe the RoH is good enough for everyone else, I think number retirements should be reserved for HoFers who spent most or all of their careers with the Hawks, which is why I support retiring Easley's number.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I think retiring numbers is kind of overkill. The Ring of Honor should be the ultimate tribute.

minormillikin

Reaction score
253hawk":1rzsw3of said:

Yeah, that would be a shame in 500 years if they had to add a third digit. Or decimals!

Jerhawk

Reaction score
dogorama":1ws2hv6w said:
253hawk":1ws2hv6w said:

In the future we won't need numbers.

Numbers? Where were going, we don't use numbers.

Seahawk772002

Reaction score
According to http://www.nfl.com/history/retirednumbers 12 and 80 are only retired Seahawk numbers.

Read the retired number list on http://www.nfl.com/history/retirednumbers

Some of the team make no sense(ie Jim Taylor in New Orleans). Jim Taylor made his name in Green Bay; Paul Hornung does not have his retired yet Reggie White has his retired in Green Bay and Philadelphia. Check San Francisco; number 80(Jerry Rice) has not been retired. Dallas and Oakland have not retired any numbers. Am guessing others will come up with other examples.

Old regime botched 80 and lied to both Steve and Rice to allow Rice to play with 80, so was it really retired?

Both Steve and Jerry are too classy to say it, but both probably wish Steve was only one to wear 80. Think Rice was willing to wear 84. Have heard Rice and Steve express nothing but respect for each other and probably do not wish to talk about 80.

Rice wearing 80 reminded me of Willie Mays struggling in 1973 World Series for the Mets in center field against the A's. Both were legends of their games struggling at end of billiant careers.

My thoughts :
1. Wish Seahawks would ask NFL to change "fans/12th man" to just "12".12 says it all.
2. Only someone who played entire career with Seahawks should have number retired; then the comments on 80 mentioned above comes up and my logic makes no sense(kind of like the NFL retired numbers list).

This thread has feel of baseball fans talk discussing their sport in November or January.

There is no right answer.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Seahawk772002":26apta7l said:
My thoughts :
1. Wish Seahawks would ask NFL to change "fans/12th man" to just "12".12 says it all.
2. Only someone who played entire career with Seahawks should have number retired; then the comments on 80 mentioned above comes up and my logic makes no sense(kind of like the NFL retired numbers list).

We see this issue alike. I'm not worried about too many numbers being retired........in our lifetime. Then again, you are not a member of the "Old Farts" on this message board.