Graham may miss Week 1, Rawls could play 3rd preseason game

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I am all in favor of saving him for Week 2 in LA.

We won't need a less-than-100% Jimmy to be risked against Miami. Luke, Nick and Brandon will hold it down.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I absolutely love how Pete takes care of his players. He doesn't sacrifice them (along with the season), but prefers to be cautious and let them come back slowly, which usually puts them at their best when they're needed the most (playoffs).

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
ivotuk":3rk7u7hg said:
I absolutely love how Pete takes care of his players. He doesn't sacrifice them (along with the season), but prefers to be cautious and let them come back slowly, which usually puts them at their best when they're needed the most (playoffs).

Seems to me that most NFL teams have learned their lesson to rush injured players to return to the playing field. The chances of being sued has increased in the past few years. That said ......Pete is very cautious at rushing players back.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I would very much prefer to see someone out a few extra weeks than to see them try to push it and get hurt again.

Sometimes not even the injury, but I have seen plenty of people try to compensate for one injury and end up hurting something totally different in so doing.

Get them back to speed slowly.

Even if that means we have to see Farmer at RB when we really need him to learn to play corner.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
If he is ready play him. If not don't. It really is that simple.

He could get hurt the first play after he is deemed "ready". I wouldn't hold him out for the sake of holding him out of he is ready.

Threedee

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":31iwss60 said:
ivotuk":31iwss60 said:

Seems to me that most NFL teams have learned their lesson to rush injured players to return to the playing field. The chances of being sued has increased in the past few years. That said ......Pete is very cautious at rushing players back.

Except for Jerrah Jones and his crusade to destroy the body of Tony Romo.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1dtrkpcb said:
If he is ready play him. If not don't. It really is that simple.

He could get hurt the first play after he is deemed "ready". I wouldn't hold him out for the sake of holding him out of he is ready.

Ummmm, thanks, Captain Obvious. :mrgreen: :2thumbs:

I really doubt Pete 'holds players out for the sake of holding them out.' Also, it's been demonstrated many times that a player will re-injure himself when a team goes by the player's word (and some wishful thinking) that he's 'ready.' So it all depends upon what that team and their medical staff defines as 'ready.' There are certain teams that handle it better than others, so no, it's not 'that simple.'

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3hiha48i said:
I am all in favor of saving him for Week 2 in LA.

We won't need a less-than-100% Jimmy to be risked against Miami. Luke, Nick and Brandon will hold it down.

If we really want to keep him health for the season, we need to keep him out of the LA game......if any team is going to target a player for injury that is the team. :stirthepot:

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Could easily see him being on the PUP with designation to return list if no other big player gets hurt. Also feel the Seahawks play down a lot of serious injuries.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2y1zk5i5 said:
Could easily see him being on the PUP with designation to return list if no other big player gets hurt. Also feel the Seahawks play down a lot of serious injuries.

It's only considered "serious" if you are the injured player! ;)

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I honestly expect to see Graham either placed on IR until Week 8 or not play in a game until at least late October if at all.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Graham has practiced with the team, thus is no longer eligible for the PUP list. There are two PUP classifications Active/PUP and Reserve/PUP. There is no PUP with designation to return. If a player practices with the team, he is no longer eligible for either PUP list for that season. The benefit of the PUP lists is that the player does not count against the roster limit. However, his salary still counts against the cap.

Active/PUP is a classification only used in pre-season. It is used for those that show up to camp with a football related injury and who are unable to practice. Once recovered the player can immediately return to practice. The player remains on the Active/PUP until he either returns to practice or the regular season starts.

At the beginning of the regular season, those still on the Active/PUP list change to Reserve/PUP status. Once placed on Reserve/PUP, the player is ineligible to return to the active roster until the 6th week of the season. He must either be waived or return to the active roster by the first day of the 12th week, or he reverts to IR.

At this point, the options regarding Graham are to place him on IR, or let him ride the active roster until he is ready to go. If we place him on IR, we can decide later in the year if he is the one guy we want to bring off of the IR onto the active roster.

My guess is that the team is fully confident that Graham will be ready to go before week 6 or they would have left him on the PUP. It makes no sense to activate him now only to place him on IR. You would then be face with the decision, later in the season, whether to use your one "return from IR spot" on him. The little bit of practice now isn't worth losing the ability to keep him on the PUP until later in the season unless you truly believe he will be ready to go before week 6.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3mgc6nt8 said:
Graham has practiced with the team, thus is no longer eligible for the PUP list. There are two PUP classifications Active/PUP and Reserve/PUP. There is no PUP with designation to return. If a player practices with the team, he is no longer eligible for either PUP list for that season. The benefit of the PUP lists is that the player does not count against the roster limit. However, his salary still counts against the cap.

Active/PUP is a classification only used in pre-season. It is used for those that show up to camp with a football related injury and who are unable to practice. Once recovered the player can immediately return to practice. The player remains on the Active/PUP until he either returns to practice or the regular season starts.

At the beginning of the regular season, those still on the Active/PUP list change to Reserve/PUP status. Once placed on Reserve/PUP, the player is ineligible to return to the active roster until the 6th week of the season. He must either be waived or return to the active roster by the first day of the 12th week, or he reverts to IR.

At this point, the options regarding Graham are to place him on IR, or let him ride the active roster until he is ready to go. If we place him on IR, we can decide later in the year if he is the one guy we want to bring off of the IR onto the active roster.

My guess is that the team is fully confident that Graham will be ready to go before week 6 or they would have left him on the PUP. It makes no sense to activate him now only to place him on IR. You would then be face with the decision, later in the season, whether to use your one "return from IR spot" on him. The little bit of practice now isn't worth losing the ability to keep him on the PUP until later in the season unless you truly believe he will be ready to go before week 6.
Interesting very good info and thank you. It would seem he'll be back before week 6 then.

Smellyman

Reaction score
ivotuk":1gazwe7a said:

It's coaches, doctors, trainers, front office and player making the decisions. Not just the head coach.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
The fact that he has practiced already goes against the doom and gloomers. He has to either go on IR now or be on the active roster.

They wouldn't have let him practice if he wasn't close to returning. IR, even designated to return, makes no sense.

They will keep him on the active 53 until he plays. It might be 5-6 games, but they tipped their hand with allowing him back on the field.

Now the question will be...how effective is he?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2l91f2h8 said:
IR, even designated to return, makes no sense.

Designated to return no longer exists. Any player can be selected to come off of IR. He doesn't have to be designated in advance.

Otherwise, I completely agree with what you have said.