Which WRs make the final roster?

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
This will be interesting.

I am going with Baldwin, Kearse, Lockett, Richardson and Williams. They only keep 5 WR this year because I think they keep 4 TE, at least initially.

McEvoy and Lawler to the P.S.

Thoughts?

dogorama

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3vs3p3db said:

I am going with Baldwin, Kearse, Lockett, Richardson and Williams. They only keep 5 WR this year because I think they keep 4 TE, at least initially.

Thoughts?

This is the prevailing thought at the moment (your lineup). As for numbers we keep 4-TE's because you can almost say that Graham is really a hybrid TE/WR and BW is so versatile.

King Dog

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":xwluk38y said:

Thoughts?

Same, but I hope McEvoy kills it the next 3 games and forces us to keep him on the roster.

Oops. Except Lawler. He doesn't look like an NFL caliber player to me thus far.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1a5sp9u1 said:

Thoughts?

Well, we agree about the first 4 for sure. Obviously, the first 4 you've got listed are virtual locks -- Baldwin, Kearse, Lockett, and Richardson.

I do believe that they go with 5 WR's in the end ... and that it looks like at this point that the 5th spot is a battle between Williams and McEvoy. Besides being able to actually catch the football, get open, and make plays (first and foremost) -- I would say that (given past experience) that Carroll and company look at a few other different factors when considering who that 5th WR is going to be ...

1) Does the guy have something about him that sets him apart from the rest? Does he have an asset that makes him stand out -- something that no one else on the roster has? Speed, height, elusiveness, etc.

2) Can that #5 Guy play special teams? Can he a potential gunner, someone who will fly down on kickoffs and punts and make plays? OR can he be a potential returner. Something like that.

3) Can he block? This is a run first team -- how good of a blocker is he in the run game?

Given those factors, I'm thinking that (if he can potentially shine on Special teams over these next couple of games) ... that Tanner McEvoy could potentially be the guy there for that #5 Spot.

We've mentioned it many times, Pete and John both are always looking for guys who "tilt the field" -- who possess special qualities that set them apart. Well, I believe there's something potentially really attractive about the idea of a WR who's 6'6" and has 4.4 to 4.5 speed. We saw it in Super Bowl XLIX the value of Russell Wilson having a tall receiver to throw to. Were it not for that interception that sealed our doom ... there is an excellent chance that Chris Matthews would have been the MVP. I think that's potentially an asset that they would very much like to have again. So, if he can show well on Special Teams (and continue to make plays in the passing game) ... I believe the 5th spot is McEvoy's. Just makes too much sense.

dogorama

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":3hdkt4b6 said:
FlyingGreg":3hdkt4b6 said:

Thoughts?

Well, we agree about the first 4 for sure. Obviously, the first 4 you've got listed are virtual locks -- Baldwin, Kearse, Lockett, and Richardson.

I do believe that they go with 5 WR's in the end ... and that it looks like at this point that the 5th spot is a battle between Williams and McEvoy. Besides being able to actually catch the football, get open, and make plays (first and foremost) -- I would say that (given past experience) that Carroll and company look at a few other different factors when considering who that 5th WR is going to be ...

1) Does the guy have something about him that sets him apart from the rest? Does he have an asset that makes him stand out -- something that no one else on the roster has? Speed, height, elusiveness, etc.

2) Can that #5 Guy play special teams? Can he a potential gunner, someone who will fly down on kickoffs and punts and make plays? OR can he be a potential returner. Something like that.

3) Can he block? This is a run first team -- how good of a blocker is he in the run game?

Given those factors, I'm thinking that (if he can potentially shine on Special teams over these next couple of games) ... that Tanner McEvoy could potentially be the guy there for that #5 Spot.

We've mentioned it many times, Pete and John both are always looking for guys who "tilt the field" -- who possess special qualities that set them apart. Well, I believe there's something potentially really attractive about the idea of a WR who's 6'6" and has 4.4 to 4.5 speed. We saw it in Super Bowl XLIX the value of Russell Wilson having a tall receiver to throw to. Were it not for that interception that sealed our doom ... there is an excellent chance that Chris Matthews would have been the MVP. I think that's potentially an asset that they would very much like to have again. So, if he can show well on Special Teams (and continue to make plays in the passing game) ... I believe the 5th spot is McEvoy's. Just makes too much sense.

You make a great argument except for the fact that we already have a "tall tilt-the-field" receiver. His name is Jimmy Graham.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
dogorama":26rhj5ln said:
Hawkscanner":26rhj5ln said:
FlyingGreg":26rhj5ln said:

Thoughts?

You make a great argument except for the fact that we already have a "tall tilt-the-field" receiver. His name is Jimmy Graham.

So, this team can only have ONE receiver in that category?

Now, a case could potentially be made also (I would think) for guy like Kenny Lawler eventually being that guy. His "tilt the field" characteristic? Hands. He has plus plus hands ... and there is something to be said about the value of having a guy like that when it's 3rd down and you NEED someone to come up in the clutch. Problem is (as I see it) the battle for that 5th Spot is the most competitive battle currently going on this team. The way that I see it, here's how I would handicap that battle currently ...

1) McEvoy (he helped himself in this last game by making a couple of nice grabs, especially that 32 yarder along the sidelines)
2) Williams (he flashed and looked like he could be that guy before battling injuries. If he's over those, he's got a shot.)
3) Lawler (love the hands and the fact that he's 6'3" to boot ... but he's a bit of a rail and I don't see him as being a guy who's really WOW'ed the coaches thus far)

We're only 1 Pre-Season game in -- there's a long ways to go. We'll see what ends up happening with these guys tomorrow.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I like Lawler a lot, but i think it comes down to ST contributions. He hasn't shown a lot in preseason and was available to in the 7th, so i think you can stash him on the PS.

I'm currently thinking Kasen gets the fight spot if he can show anything.

I want to see McEvoy early on Thursday to see how he stacks up against better competition.

Rob12

Reaction score
Kasen needs to get on the field and earn his spot. I like him a lot but McEvoy is actually out there making plays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I think we actually keep 6 receivers (because I expect 2 QBs, 4 RBs, 3 TEs, 9 O-linemen and 26 guys on D). Baldwin, Lockett and Kearse are the top 3 and all definitely making the roster. Richardson is the clear number 4 at the moment and also highly likely to make it.

The last 2 spots are more of a mystery. Any two of Lawler, Foxx, Smith, McEvoy and Kasen could make it at this point. At the moment I'd say Kasen and McEvoy are in the lead but that could easily change after tonight's game.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":2sru837i said:
Please help me understand why Richardson is considered a lock...

He aint broken yet. And he was showing capabilities in the past. Tall and aggressive receiver.

McGruff

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":2b5hyrvd said:

1. Excellent hands
2. Excellent route runner
3. Excellent speed

But yeah, other than that, I can't understand what they possibly see in him.

McGruff

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":39hazek7 said:
Kennedyin92":39hazek7 said:

He aint broken yet. And he was showing capabilities in the past. Tall and aggressive receiver.

Okay, tall and aggressive are two words I've never heard applied to Richardson.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":3p5zjo79 said:

Yes, he hurt is acl 2 years ago and his hammy last year, but he is 10x the receiver of Williams and Smith.

Smith and Williams can be picked up anywhere off the street. Richardson is unique.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Smellyman":dwnsd7pu said:
Kennedyin92":dwnsd7pu said:

Yes, he hurt is acl 2 years ago and his hammy last year, but he is 10x the receiver of Williams and Smith.

Smith and Williams can be picked up anywhere off the street. Richardson is unique.

Exactly. If im not mistaken we took him in the 2nd round. (was it 3rd)

Not saying PC/JS wont cut bait. They have before. But Richardson was starting to come on before the knee injury. And I think he tried to get back too soon which lead to the Hammy. This very well be his last chance. But he's def making the club.

Interesting fight between Mcavoy/williams/lawler for the last spot.

As has been said, these guys better perform on ST. They're looking to fill the LockettE roll. Play WR in a pinch, but work your but off on coverage teams.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":vfq65t1t said:

You are seriously joking right?

1. Speed
2. Route running skill
3. Excellent hands
4. Excellent production

He has a high degree of skill. If you want to discuss availability/durability then we could talk that. But regardless of that discussion -- if he's hurt you IR him and there is no problem. He's very clearly the 4th best WR and could easily be the third best. The last time we saw him play back to back games, he'd supplanted Kearse as our 2nd best WR in both production and targets. And his target load was a very slight shade under Baldwin's.

As to the OP discussion, I do think it'll come down to Williams and McEvoy. Williams will get his opportunity to shine. He fared well last preseason and has produced in the regular season.

I would give the leg up to Williams simply because he's been in the system for a full year more than McEvoy and the fact that Tanner is still a rookie and has just recently been moved over to WR -- so I'm guessing he's quite a bit behind Williams who has more experience and all related to his craft.

They are kind of the same type of player. Both big bodied WRs with outstanding athleticism. I am not sold on Tanner's ability to catch the ball at a professional level yet. The sample size is small. And he still looks like balls eat him up at times in last week's game. Need to see better/cleaner catches. Double catching balls = stripped incompletions or fumbles against NFL caliber defenders. Williams doesn't offer much in ST. We suspect McEvoy can shine there but he'll need to show in the next three weeks.

Should be fun to watch.

Of course we could cut them both too and take McNeil. Stranger things have happened.

kf3339

Reaction score
McGruff":2s5c999b said:
Seahawkfan80":2s5c999b said:
Kennedyin92":2s5c999b said:

Okay, tall and aggressive are two words I've never heard applied to Richardson.

:ditto: He has a lot of good qualities, but those two aren't included.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Wait a minute, I thought Foxx was lighting everything up in practice?

What happened to him?

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3vha437e said:
Wait a minute, I thought Foxx was lighting everything up in practice?

What happened to him?

"We are talkin' bout practice"...

This is a good reminder why to take training camp reports with a grain of salt.