Quick Takeaways After Preseason Game 2

sc85sis

Reaction score
That was really sloppy. I don't know if the short week was an issue, but the overall execution was rather poor. Russ started off OK but went downhill from there. The D again got gashed on shallow routes. Tackling was not up to snuff. Pass rush needs work, though some of that is due to lack of blitzing. Getting off the field on third down was an issue.

On the brighter side, the o line looked OK overall. At least one of the sacks was a pure coverage sack. Russell also should have thrown the ball away instead of trying to escape a couple of times. He will clean that up. The run game looked good, especially C-Mike and Poe. Boykin nearly pulled off another comeback, though he too took a couple sacks he shouldn't have.

Definitely a few areas to keep an eye on, but they still have time to straighten things out. I'm a bit concerned but still fairly optimistic.

Onto the next one. Go Hawks!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Penalties and sacks (and a clear plan to blitz and pressure Russell) killed any semblance of a decent outing by our starting passing offense in the 1st half. As frustrated as I was watching it, I feel confident it won't carry over into the regular season.

Game planning is minimal, base stuff, it was clear the Vikings wanted revenge. Short week, all that. There's definitely things to improve on but I am okay with it again being the 2nd preseason game of the season.

chris98251

Reaction score
Vikings played their Super Bowl in the Pre Season and Shanked it also, if it wasn't for a misread by a UDFA QB and that pick six they would have Shanked this game also, even then he almost pulled it out.

JPatera76

Reaction score
chris98251":m1w3l6er said:
Vikings played their Super Bowl in the Pre Season and Shanked it also, if it wasn't for a misread by a UDFA QB and that pick six they would have Shanked this game also, even then he almost pulled it out.
:ditto:

kearly

Reaction score
I watched all 16 preseason games from week 1. None of them were as sloppy as this game tonight.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Wilson was off his game and most of the sacks were on him keeping it for too long. Not worried about it.

Didnt help that our receivers dropped a ton although baldwin and lockett did well.

Justin britt did well again.

We didnt get much of a pash rush going but frank clark did well against 2s and 3s.

We still cant defend te's, where is Browner? Really concerns me that no adjustments have been made, even in preseason.

Cmike did great barring a couple of slips, pope did well against the 2s and 3s.

Wasnt impressed with alex collins barring one 9 yard run.

Long snapper had a bad day and probably cost us a fg. Expect him.to be cut.

Boykin is probably the back up now. The pick 6 was a rookie mistake.

Jon ryan had the catch of the game.

Rob12

Reaction score
Sowell is going to get destroyed by good DE's. Really wish Gilliam could have developed a bit more. He's still young but it is a bit troubling to me that Sowell took the job that everyone thought was his.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob12

Reaction score
I was impressed with CMike and Reed. Great showing for those guys tonight. Michael looks like a completely different running back.

kf3339

Reaction score
kearly":2o46xyrm said:
I watched all 16 preseason games from week 1. None of them were as sloppy as this game tonight.

Yep, it was hard to watch tonight. But a few positives.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kearly":2vfaof8e said:
Yep.... Discipline left a lot to be desired. :pukeface:
I gotta say tho, Boykin is coming along nicely, and Poe is really playing hard... trying to make a statement.

kearly

Reaction score
I'll probably go back and re-watch later, but some off the cuff thoughts:

-The run defense was way better tonight. I think a lot of that had to do with poor play by the Vikings OL, they seemed to be stepping on each other's toes. That plus McKinnon is a replacement level RB, IMO. Ware / West and the the Chiefs OL were a far tougher assignment.

-Sometimes Wilson's rabbit habits result in monster sacks. Unfortunately, between he and Boykins Seattle endured five "monster" sacks tonight. Really, every single sack felt like it could have been avoided with smarter QB play. Wilson had a good day passing the ball but took some sacks he shouldn't have.

-Frank Clark had a good game against 2nd and 3rd stringers but just lacks the "wow" factor that he had last preseason. And while I still trust Richard to dial up a quality blitz, I am genuinely worried about our 4 man pass rush.

-Boykins looks so good in some aspects and so bad in others. What gives me hope about Boykins is that he seems to have a fast processor and a bit of a clutch gene. With time and experience you could hope for his decision making to improve. What bums me out about Boykins is that he seems to have significant accuracy issues. Maybe experience in the offense will help, but he overthrew a lot of deep balls and threw behind a lot of receivers. At the same time, Boykins receivers have been mostly a joke, and he suffered a lot of drops. So did Wilson. This was an issue last week as well.

-I thought Jake Heaps looked better than his numbers last week. This week he looked so bad that I'm wishing I had never said anything nice about him.

-Hopefully Jarran Reed is okay. He had a nice game.

-The Seahawks run blocking is getting it done. And the protection looked a lot better than the sack total would suggest.

-Christine Michael continues to settle for a bit less than he should at times, but he's in the zone doing what he's doing. He seems like a good safety net for Rawls durability concerns.

-Pope is having a nice preseason, he kind of reminds me of Miles Gaskin or maybe a poor man's Justin Forsett. Is it possible he could play his way on the team? Probably not, though Alex Collins and Zac Brooks are doing their best to help Pope's case.

-I wasn't the biggest fan of Alex Collins coming out of college but I did think he did two things well back then: run for power and hit his 2nd gear quickly. It's only two games and 11 total touches, but so far Collins has been abysmal in short yardage and seems to be permanently stuck in 1st gear.

Collins' 4th and 1 carry in the 1st quarter displayed hilariously bad vision. There was only one Vikings defender who even had a chance to stop Collins, and he was on the ground by the time Collins got there, yet Collins lurched and fell back short of the line as if running into an invisible wall. Watching the replay, had Collins run to almost any other spot within a 10 foot area he would have had the first. I honestly wondered if half the fans in the stands could have picked up that first given the blocking Collins had and squandered. He was also pretty bad on the 3rd and 1 carry that preceded it.

Collins also whiffed on a block that contributed to a sack, and topped things off with an embarrassing drop. For the preseason Collins is averaging 2.0 yards per carry with a woeful 16% success rate.

Did he gain weight his offseason? He looks over-sized and ultra slow all of a sudden. In college he wasn't a burner but he did have nice burst. That burst is a distant memory right now. If we ever get the Alex Collins from Arkansas he's a guy worth having as a situational RB, but so far the NFL version looks like a shell of the Razorback version.

-Zac Brooks wasn't quite as awful, but he had some middling carries on plays that C-mike would have gone for 10 on and Rawls would have gone for 20 on. Brooks can't seem to clear the first level without tripping and falling immediately, even if he is only barely touched. That said, he only had 2 carries. But I'm guessing this will be a theme for him. Brooks also underwhelmed in protection against 3rd stringers.

-George Farmer had another nice game, 25 yards on 2 touches. He's a corner playing RB as an emergency measure, but he's outplaying Seattle's 2016 draft picks so far.

-I don't really care about Seattle being shut out in the first half. The offense moved the ball well, but made an avalanche of mistakes at inopportune times to cost them points.

-I'm not going to over-react to one preseason game, but I hope John Schneider has Clint Gresham on speed dial. There's gotta be a better way to save $295k in cap space than at long snapper.

-Nick Vannett added another pretty catch. Sadly, it was not a great night for Brandon Williams or Luke Willson.

-The Mariners also lost an ugly game tonight, punting an Iwakuma start against a really bad team. Tonight kinda sucked.

-It was fun watching Tony McDaniel rag doll a RB and point to his bicep. At this point in his career McDaniel is probably a below average NFL player, but he really stood out among our 3rd stringers, which kind of says something about the lack of standouts in the back of Seattle's roster right now.

-Our fullbacks have been underwhelming so far. Re-sign Tuku?

-Tyler Lockett is really good.

-Did Paul Richardson play?

-I watched all 16 preseason games last week. I hate to say it, but Seattle's 2nd and 3rd stringers are not as talented as at least half the other teams' backups out there. There's a reason these first two preseason games have been shitshows, the back 70 on our roster just isn't all that great right now. The good news is, Seattle still probably has the best starter group in the league, despite some of their struggles in clutch moments tonight.

-Lastly, I need to give some props to Minny's pass D. Yeah, they dialed up some blitzes and did some stuff out of revenge, but their coverage was tough to throw on for most of the game, and they did an outstanding job of punishing Boykins and Wilson for their rabbit QB ways (with the exception of one highly entertaining run by Boykins).

TwilightError

Reaction score
Passepartout":35seqbp8 said:
Really Russell had a hard time with four sacks. But be glad it was not a regular season game however!

I did not see all of them but atleast two looked like the kind of sacks he usually scrambles away from. Let's just hope Wilson bulking up does not mean he has lost a step on his quickness... That could be disastrous.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
Where is all this "energy" we keep hearing about from the players and coaches?? Is Pete Carroll becoming Rex Ryan? Filling players with false hope and whatnot. That game was just terrible. Would think first game playing at home during prime time. I know it's preseason. But they played terrible.

Hope they play with energy and urgency next game or this year will be just like last year.

kearly

Reaction score
I hate to be this negative, but I'm honestly not looking forward to weeks 3 and 4 of the preseason. It's just been so damn ugly so far. Penalties, drops, boneheaded mistakes. So damn many of them. Way more than any other team so far. There's been more reason for concern than reason for celebration so far. The days of Seattle winning 11 straight preseason games and looking like their 2nd stringers were the NFL's 33rd team seem to be a thing of the past, sadly.

I still think Seattle's starters are awesome, but even they have looked pretty shaky this preseason. Our starters have been outscored 18-0. It's not a big deal just yet, but it would be nice if they snapped out of it quickly. Next week is the dress rehearsal game.

At least the running game has been a silver lining. If Rawls stays healthy and Michael keeps this up, it could be an epic season for Seattle's rushing attack.

Fade

Reaction score
The first 2 sacks were on Russell.... kind of; I'll explain further down.

The next 2 were missed protection calls, probably on Britt. It's usually the center. I was having Drew Nowak flashbacks watching it live.

Russell Wilson's sight lines are impaired with a 6'6'' center. Russell can see the field better with a 6'1'' center, who can also conveniently call the protections in Patrick Lewis.

Britt is awesome in the run game, but in the pass game he will struggle calling protections, and he blocks Russell's vision. That is why Russell was sacked the first 2 times, he couldn't see. So yeah, bad on Russell for holding the ball, and getting sacked those 1st 2 times, but he couldn't see.

---------------------------------

Wagner got exposed in this game. He was repeatedly picked on by a backup QB. LOL. He has really fallen off since getting paid. He had his worst year last year, and he could be even worse this year.

Pete Carroll is harboring avg coordinators. Remember when the Seahawks coaching staff used to get pillaged every off-season? Those days are over. Furthermore I'm not basing this off of this pre-season. I'm basing it off their entire body of work. This pre-season is just ramming that point home.

FINAL POINT: PLEASE READ

I know everyone is going to harp on the lack of pass rush, but it is that soft zone scheme that is causing it. Backs coming out of the backfield are left uncovered, and TEs over the middle are wide open. So if the QB feels pressure he can just dump the ball off. Coverage sacks will never happen. You saw this with Gus, now w/Richard. Dan Quinn didn't play that. He played press man free, and press bail cover 3. Gus, and now Richard both predominately play soft cover 3.

What press man free, and press bail cover 3 provides for your pass rush is taking away all the cheap throws, and forcing the QB to hold the ball. Thus sacks happen. It also throws off the rhythm and timing of the passing game.

The philosophy of the soft cover 3 is to take away everything deep, and force the opposing QB to dink & dunk his way down the field, and wait for THEM to screw it up. The problem is teams fear the LOB so they have no problem dinking & dunking. Hard to get turnovers too, unless the QB is careless, and forces the ball deep.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
C-Mike has been the revelation of the pre-season so far. I'm confident in him being both Rawls' prrimary back up and our so called 3rd down back due to the impreasive receiving skills he showed. Don't forget he's a freak athlete picked in the 2nd round, the only thing he ever lacked was the mentality and ball protection. That's in the past.

On the other spectrum of the RB group it's a lot less sunny. While Christine has been a positive surprise, Collins has been a huge disappointment. He was brought in as an effective short yardage back with the possibility of challenging for lead back carries, he's neither. Collins and Brooks got outplayed hard by even Troymane Pope.

Lawler had a bit of a redemption game after a lousy week 1 and Goodley played himself back into the competition at WR as well.

Run D and run blocking are both really solid right now, while both the pass D and pass blocking are lacking.

Even though Boykins got sacked a few times and was intercepted at a crucial time, I still believe he can be a very serviceable back up for us.

kearly

Reaction score
Great points fade, especially in regards to the DC. Going from Bradley to Quinn was like adding two pro-bowlers to our D, and then going from Quinn to Richard was the reverse of that. I don't understand why Richard is such a fan of soft zones.

In fairness to the Richard / Bradley philosophy, it tends to work pretty well against conservative coaches, since it forces a lot of 4th and 2 situations by allowing the RB dumpoff on 3rd and long but almost always stopping them just short with good open field tackling. But yeah, on the whole Quinn's style was clearly superior and is dearly missed.

Wagner was amazing at man coverage in college. He looked like a liability in man coverage tonight. Not sure what's going on with him.

In fairness to our D, Shaun Hill isn't actually all that bad of a QB, and he has a lot of experience seeing Seattle as an ex-Rams QB.