Vikings did us a favor

chris98251

Reaction score
They came at us with blitz's from all over, with our O line as it is even the sacks taken and the pick 6 is something we can now use to teach these guys about assignments and how Boykins reads can be changed to the hot read and not telegraph the pass, it also can be used to help receivers adapt their routes for the cheating CB ready for it.

Vikings used a lot of mid range routes and TE plays that can be used to help key the defense on how were going to defend that going forward.

They played us with a game plan, we were very vanilla, but what they showed is stuff we had issues with last season and now under fire in the pre season can take the new guys and evaluate and teach from it under real film applications.

This was much more a blessing then a game played badly, it has real meat and potato's to learn from and teach the young guys and replacement players that are going to now have experience when it doesn't count instead of seeing it when it does.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That is one way to look at it.

Not sure that explains our defense.

You know who the Vikings QB was right? Who was their RB?

So why couldn't we stop them even with a vanilla defense?

To me that is the bigger problem than the offense, but yeah Wilson looked terrible - hopefully that lights a fire under him.

sutz

Reaction score
What was that line from that old movie? Oh, yeah:
You'd find the good side of a plague.

:laugh:

J/K. You're right, of course, lot of lessons available there.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Just because they had solid play calling that showed our teams weaknesses doesn't mean that they had a gameplan. Their players executed their plays and assignments better than our guys did.

But I agree the Vikings did us a favor. I'd rather a team come in here and beat us in pre season That'll light a fire

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Jerhawk":4ffdhl90 said:
Just because they had solid play calling that showed our teams weaknesses doesn't mean that they had a gameplan. Their players executed their plays and assignments better than our guys did.

But I agree the Vikings did us a favor. I'd rather a team come in here and beat us in pre season That'll light a fire

Sure, overload blitzing is vanilla for most teams. Definitely no game panning there.

12thbrah

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":14b69wx8 said:

To me that is the bigger problem than the offense, but yeah Wilson looked terrible - hopefully that lights a fire under him.

Our defense was fine. Kam didn't play so our top defensive lineup wasn't even on the field. Shaun Hill basically dinked and dunked his way to 1 TD. Looks like there might still be issues covering tight ends but I expect that to be addressed by the time the season starts. I'm just glad the young guys like Reed and Frank Clark are getting a ton of reps. Those guys need the snaps and are expected to play big roles this year.

Erebus

Reaction score
12thbrah":24h66j5s said:
Looks like there might still be issues covering tight ends but I expect that to be addressed by the time the season starts.

This sounds like wishful thinking to me. What have they done to give you confidence they can magically fix TE issues once the season starts?

seabowl

Reaction score
12thbrah":2klc2c3y said:
TwistedHusky":2klc2c3y said:

Our defense was fine. Kam didn't play so our top defensive lineup wasn't even on the field. Shaun Hill basically dinked and dunked his way to 1 TD. Looks like there might still be issues covering tight ends but I expect that to be addressed by the time the season starts. I'm just glad the young guys like Reed and Frank Clark are getting a ton of reps. Those guys need the snaps and are expected to play big roles this year.

The dink and dunk is what worries me. This is exactly how to beat our D by eliminating the pass rush and teams caught on last year. Personally I would prefer to see much more man D instead of zone.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Brock said the same thing, and thread Pete loves it when he has coaching points to work with and use as examples.

sutz

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":16gbnjqr said:
Jerhawk":16gbnjqr said:

Sure, overload blitzing is vanilla for most teams. Definitely no game panning there.
Just because they used some blitz packages doesn't mean they "game planned" to win the game. Perhaps they were just trying out some new blitz packages. Teams do that in the pre-seasson.

Even if they did "game plan" to beat us, what does it matter? Our O-line got some real time experience against blitzes. We got some film to use in eval and training sessions.

Luckily, it looks like nobody got hurt.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":29kfm239 said:
Jerhawk":29kfm239 said:

Um, no. Teams don't gameplan for pre season games. Coach Zimmer wanted to practice different blitz packages. Kris richard called a couple of blitzes with wright and Wagner still in there.

The Vikings played better in pre season game #2. It's ok to admit this. Trying to make up excuses for our team not executing as well as our opponent is simply sour grapes

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Jerhawk":v5exre4c said:

Oh, I think they did probably have a gameplan. Zimmer is a great coach, but a dick as well. Who the hell blitzes a rival teams star quarterback in a pre season game. Someone who is avenging a loss in the playoffs the year before, that is who. He wanted to win that game so bad, and he did it by any means necessary. He knew that o line wasn't ready to cover blitzes. I also think he was a little pissed over the rushing. The o line was kind of starting to win the battle, so he sent them all.

I disagree that he did us a favor. On one of those sacks I thought russell tore his knee up at first glance. I understand the logic, but they didn't expose any weakness the coaches didn't know were already there. All they did was to jeapordize the health of our players, as well as his. On the other hand, there isnt a rule banning blitzing in pre season, so I guess it is a non issue.