Troymaine Pope

kearly

Reaction score
[youtube]soFilymBrlo[/youtube]

Apparently he is a 2016 UDFA out of Jacksonville State, a division I FCS school. He's listed at 5'8" 205. Thomas Rawls was a 2015 UDFA out of Central Michigan, a lower tier division I FBS school. He's listed at 5'9" 215. Interestingly enough, Pope was not one of Seattle's initial 13 UDFA signings. In fact, he just signed with the team a mere two weeks ago, on August 6th, due to Seattle having an urgent need for RB depth.

Rawls is a lot more physical than Pope, but still it's interesting to see some of the surface level similarities they share. Some of us, myself included, made the mistake of underestimating Rawls last year because he was a short UDFA RB coming out of nowhere. Maybe we shouldn't over look Pope's chances either, especially after having such a strong performance tonight.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Another interesting parallel. The two best RBs for Seattle this preseason have been Michael and Pope. Both were emergency signings as street free agents. Pope was signed to help cover for RB injuries in TC a couple of weeks ago. Michael was signed last December as a last resort to help cover for the loss of Thomas Rawls and Marshawn Lynch to injuries.

If our RB situation hadn't looked so dire, neither one of them would have been signed.

That's what I love about this team. It doesn't matter if you are a high draft pick or some guy the team signed to patch up a roster for a week. If you can compete, you've got a real chance.

nwHawk

Reaction score
He's looked very good the last 2 weeks. I like his vision, balance and decisiveness.

I think he makes the team, and I alao think we'll see him back up at KR to spell Lockett from time to time.

nanomoz

Reaction score
His feet and balance remind me of Forsett.

Largent80

Reaction score
He had better learn how to pick up a blitz because his lack of being able to do it caused Boykin to misthrow the ball on the pick 6.

dogorama

Reaction score
Largent80":k3lom2ck said:
He had better learn how to pick up a blitz because his lack of being able to do it caused Boykin to misthrow the ball on the pick 6.

It certainly caused Boykin to rush it under pressure but I'm not sure it actually caused the pick. Boykin threw behind the receiver and probably never should have thrown it at all.

Largent80

Reaction score
Maybe it didn't cause the pick, but my point is he did not pick up his responsibility.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He 's delivering results whereas all the other rookie RBs simply are not.

It is my belief is he has shown more than any ot the drafted RBs. Collins to me has been a major disappointment Brooks unwhelming and Prosisse simply invisible.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
If he can play special teams he can make this team. I'd like to see him run with the ones a bit more. However I don't want him doing blitz pickup with Russ in there.

tonyseahawk

Reaction score
Overseasfan":i2jh6vp4 said:
With the way Collins has been playing, Pope has a serious shot to make the roster.
Agreed on Collins. He's not terrible, but as of right now he hasn't shown me anything (except one play last night) that makes me think he even makes this team

Atradees

Reaction score
That was my point when I complained about drafting all these RBs. A good free agent can be found at the position.
Top college Olineman were still available. Pope looks he has some tools.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
He looks so explosive compared to Collins. Collins is such a plodder. Reminds me of Shonn Greene. Really unimpressed so far. Pope is gonna give him a real run for a roster spot I think.

mrt144

Reaction score
dogorama":1l0bntlo said:
Largent80":1l0bntlo said:

It certainly caused Boykin to rush it under pressure but I'm not sure it actually caused the pick. Boykin threw behind the receiver and probably never should have thrown it at all.

And the DB clearly was anticipating the play and did it perfectly.

chris98251

Reaction score
kearly":vt1ozqo1 said:
[youtube]soFilymBrlo[/youtube]

Apparently he is a 2016 UDFA out of Jacksonville State, a division I FCS school. He's listed at 5'8" 205. Thomas Rawls was a 2015 UDFA out of Central Michigan, a lower tier division I FBS school. He's listed at 5'9" 215. Interestingly enough, Pope was not one of Seattle's initial 13 UDFA signings. In fact, he just signed with the team a mere two weeks ago, on August 6th, due to Seattle having an urgent need for RB depth.

Rawls is a lot more physical than Pope, but still it's interesting to see some of the surface level similarities they share. Some of us, myself included, made the mistake of underestimating Rawls last year because he was a short UDFA RB coming out of nowhere. Maybe we shouldn't over look Pope's chances either, especially after having such a strong performance tonight.

You keep referring to Rawls as a lower tier school player, yes he finished at Central, but was the number one target of Michigan coming out of High School, when he played he played well at Michigan, there was the purse issue and then a change and he fell out of favor somehow with the Coach, he then transferred to Central.

He ended up where he was, but he was the top player recruited by one of the most dominant programs in College, they don't do that for average players.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Largent80":zxco9hcj said:
Maybe it didn't cause the pick, but my point is he did not pick up his responsibility.

I noticed this as well, and mentioned it in my writeup today.

In fairness to him, you wouldn't really expect a 5'8" RB to be a great blitz pickup guy.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":372hg1vb said:
He looks so explosive compared to Collins. Collins is such a plodder. Reminds me of Shonn Greene. Really unimpressed so far. Pope is gonna give him a real run for a roster spot I think.

I was going to say "fat Eddie Lacy" but Shonn Greene is better. Thank you.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
chris98251":3l0iqgsi said:
You keep referring to Rawls as a lower tier school player, yes he finished at Central, but was the number one target of Michigan coming out of High School, when he played he played well at Michigan, there was the purse issue and then a change and he fell out of favor somehow with the Coach, he then transferred to Central.

He ended up where he was, but he was the top player recruited by one of the most dominant programs in College, they don't do that for average players.

Rawls totalled just 73 carries over three years at Michigan, failing to beat out unheralded RBs such as Fitzgerald Toussaint and Devin Gardner. Coming out of high school, Rawls was a 3 star recruit. Sometimes bad players get over-recruited by big schools. Remember Nick Montana?

Obviously, Rawls has proven himself to be a great player, but up until 2015 there wasn't a ton of reason to suspect he was a diamond in the rough. That's why I have a ton of respect for Mike Mayock for seeing something in him at Central Michigan and putting a 4th round grade on him. I wish I had seen past the weak indicators and taken a closer look at his tape instead.