Time to call Gresham?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Seems that long snapping has been a pretty wild adventure. We've gone through a couple guys this offseason. Maybe it's time to bite some cap space bullet and add stability there?

Vetamur

Reaction score
I dont really see how its a debate. Its a long snapper..the extra cost would be negligible. You dont want to end up losing a game to save a few dollars..

GLio14

Reaction score
For a second, I thought you were talking about Jermaine.

But I'm with you. He wasn't making a whole lot. Don't understand why we had to cut him.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Cutting Gresham was one of the strangest moves this Offseason. He might make a lot for a long snapper, but he is very good at his job and I can't recall there ever being a big issue with any of his snaps. He is well-liked in the locker room. I don't think messing with that position was worth the small savings.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Bring him back. His cap hit for this year would be $860,000, but he has a cap hit of $200,000 no matter what, so it costs us $660,000 to have him on the team this year. His replacement, Nolan Frese has a cap hit of $450,000 but no dead money if we cut him.

We are saving $210,000 with Frese.

We aren't getting a good deal

tonyseahawk

Reaction score
I think we all know that if we dont do something right now about the long snapper, it will cost us a game or two. Almost a certainty

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
tonyseahawk":1hapw2fb said:
I think we all know that if we dont do something right now about the long snapper, it will cost us a game or two. Almost a certainty

Not saying we shouldn't resign Gresham, but a LS will never be worth 1 or 2 games in terms of added value.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
Why the hell aren't more players learning to long snap? It seems to me what with all the offensive linemen looking for jobs that one of them would try to snap a ball once in a while. Gresham is sitting without a job, not even in another team's camp. Had 1 of the current linemen tried to improve himself it could be the difference between playing for the Hawks and looking for work.

Hmm, I have 2 linemen that I evaluate pretty close and I need to cut one, but one can long snap. Winner!

Gresham is a character, a funny guy and he sure can snap a ball but damn, it shouldn't be that difficult of a skill to master for someone looking to get a job that has actual abilities on the O Line besides long snapping.

tonyseahawk

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":2o1gqtuf said:
tonyseahawk":2o1gqtuf said:

Not saying we shouldn't resign Gresham, but a LS will never be worth 1 or 2 games in terms of added value.

A snapper sailing balls out of reach from the holder or the punter can cost you ANY game. Thats a fact

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
tonyseahawk":ctrgvhh4 said:
SeaToTheHawks":ctrgvhh4 said:
tonyseahawk":ctrgvhh4 said:

A snapper sailing balls out of reach from the holder or the punter can cost you ANY game. Thats a fact

Still not 1 or 2 games of added value over a replacement. I know that's primarily a baseball stat, but most will understand the relevant comparison here.

ivotuk

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":2wewy66a said:
tonyseahawk":2wewy66a said:
SeaToTheHawks":2wewy66a said:
tonyseahawk":2wewy66a said:

Still not 1 or 2 games of added value over a replacement. I know that's primarily a baseball stat, but most will understand the relevant comparison here.

I'm sorry, but that stat is irrelevant. If we don't bring back Gresham, we likely could lose 2 games that could cost us Home Field Advantage! Ridiculous! And not worth it!

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
ivotuk":ln5pkmpg said:
SeaToTheHawks":ln5pkmpg said:
tonyseahawk":ln5pkmpg said:
SeaToTheHawks":ln5pkmpg said:

I'm sorry, but that stat is irrelevant. If we don't bring back Gresham, we likely could lose 2 games that could cost us Home Field Advantage! Ridiculous! And not worth it!

Those 2 games would not squarely be on the LS. It's completely relevant.

OP
OP
Attyla the Hawk

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":qfr4fnk4 said:
tonyseahawk":qfr4fnk4 said:
SeaToTheHawks":qfr4fnk4 said:
tonyseahawk":qfr4fnk4 said:

I do think it could be that high.

Long snappers only get maybe 8 plays a game. But they are all in highly leveraged situations. Bad snaps can by themselves cost points directly in place kick attempts. And in the case of punts, where a punt is blocked or a punter has to pull it back and gets tackled for loss of down -- those are more directly attributable to expected points for the other team than a turnover is.

So yeah bad snaps can most definitely be worth that much. Particularly for teams that play close games. Seattle rarely is up or down more than 10 points from their opponents. For an air raid team that has to score 35 a game to have a good chance of winning -- botched snaps aren't a big deal. But for teams that play closer contests with game control in mind that consistency is highly pronounced.

Seattle is a flip the field/ball control team. We don't aggressively sell out to force 4th downs. We actively allow teams to move the ball and instead count on the fact that teams won't be as likely to put together 10 play scoring drives by way of unforced error. Field position is absolutely crucial to how we go about winning games in our core philosophy.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2pgxh84u said:
SeaToTheHawks":2pgxh84u said:
tonyseahawk":2pgxh84u said:
SeaToTheHawks":2pgxh84u said:

Long snappers only get maybe 8 plays a game. But they are all in highly leveraged situations. Bad snaps can by themselves cost points directly in place kick attempts. And in the case of punts, where a punt is blocked or a punter has to pull it back and gets tackled for loss of down -- those are more directly attributable to expected points for the other team than a turnover is.

So yeah bad snaps can most definitely be worth that much. Particularly for teams that play close games. Seattle rarely is up or down more than 10 points from their opponents. For an air raid team that has to score 35 a game to have a good chance of winning -- botched snaps aren't a big deal. But for teams that play closer contests with game control in mind that consistency is highly pronounced.

Seattle is a flip the field/ball control team. We don't aggressively sell out to force 4th downs. We actively allow teams to move the ball and instead count on the fact that teams won't be as likely to put together 10 play scoring drives by way of unforced error. Field position is absolutely crucial to how we go about winning games in our core philosophy.

This is a good argument, about as solid as one could make for an LS, but I still will not buy an LS having a 1 or 2 game impact.

Let's consider all the unique positions:

QB
RB
FB
WR
TE
C
G
OT
DT
DE
ILB
OLB
FS
SS
CB
P
K
LS
KR
PR

So that is 20 unique positions.

16games/20positions = .8 wins per position if it were attributed equally.

But as well all know that's not even close to the case. QB is going to be the highest and by a long shot. Let's say conservatively 4?

That leaves 12/19 = .63 wins

But of course, still other positions are going to be higher, and on, and on. And LS is not going to be top 5, maybe not even top 10. I don't know, I'd have to sit and think a while to rank the positions in order of importance.

You get the picture.

And I do know what you're trying to say, that late in the game, closely contested, a bad snap could end it. But that's not how value over replacement works. That single play in a game of 100+, is not the sole reason the game was lost.

Largent80

Reaction score
Agree. Gresham being let go was a WTF moment for me and our F.O.

Get on the phone John and get his ass back in here pronto.

AVL

Reaction score
Why is it assumed Gresham was cut just to save a little money? We need more motivational speakers in the world.

HawkGA

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":1ctiad5a said:
Attyla the Hawk":1ctiad5a said:
SeaToTheHawks":1ctiad5a said:
tonyseahawk":1ctiad5a said:

This is a good argument, about as solid as one could make for an LS, but I still will not buy an LS having a 1 or 2 game impact.

Let's consider all the unique positions:

QB
RB
FB
WR
TE
C
G
OT
DT
DE
ILB
OLB
FS
SS
CB
P
K
LS
KR
PR

So that is 20 unique positions.

16games/20positions = .8 wins per position if it were attributed equally.

But as well all know that's not even close to the case. QB is going to be the highest and by a long shot. Let's say conservatively 4?

That leaves 12/19 = .63 wins

But of course, still other positions are going to be higher, and on, and on. And LS is not going to be top 5, maybe not even top 10. I don't know, I'd have to sit and think a while to rank the positions in order of importance.

You get the picture.

And I do know what you're trying to say, that late in the game, closely contested, a bad snap could end it. But that's not how value over replacement works. That single play in a game of 100+, is not the sole reason the game was lost.

Don't let stats get in the way of common sense.

ivotuk

Reaction score
That's a lot of numbers, very convincing.

But if the LS snaps it over the kickers head, and the opposing team picks it up and runs it back for the winning touchdown, how does that show up in the numbers?

Or if a bad snap causes the kicker to miss a "gimmee" go ahead field goal and the Seahawks lose, how is that represented?

I can see a scenario where not bringing back Clint Gresham could cost us a SuperB Owl.