Starting CB across from Sherm...

Polk738

Reaction score
It'll more than likely be Shead, while Lane will end up being the nickel.

Tharold Simon strikes me as nothing more than a backup at this point, if he even does make the team.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I expected to see more from Simon now that he is healthy. He is a non-factor this pre-season, other than a PI penalty. And, I think the majority of his snaps are against 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Shead just keeps making plays.

HawkGA

Reaction score
At least as a reserve Simon is less likely to get hurt.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
I think the luxury our current group of CB's bring is the ability to adjust based on matchups. Though I believe that Shead will be the starter at the beginning of the year, I believe Lane will get his fair share of starts as well. Plus with the amount of time the defense will be in nickel, it probably really won't matter much because both Shead and Lane will see lots of snaps

Tical21

Reaction score
I believe they think Shead is more durable than Lane, and perhaps better against the run. I think they're leaning to Shead unless he starts to get outrun on double moves. Shead is another guy they can point to about what can happen if you buy-in and practice the right way. Those kinds of guys are important to what they are building here.

RussB

Reaction score
Shead at the 2 and lane in the nickel is a good combo. Shead has the potential to be very good

sc85sis

Reaction score
As much as teams spend in nickel these days, I think Shead and Lane could almost be considered 2a and 2b.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I think its a bit of a hole to fill. Lane seems better suited for the nickel. Simon likely makes the team only because the numbers dictate he will but he will be a liability out there just like Cary Williams. Too bad there is no one in free agency at the moment.

kearly

Reaction score
I haven't watched the corners much, but has Simon been targeted all that much? Doesn't feel like it. I've noticed Shead and Lane getting targeted fairly often, but I don't bring it up because they have looked pretty good on those targets for the most part.

Anyway, secondary play is a bit like OL play. If you aren't noticing them, that might be a good thing.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Simon has showed me nothing. Shead is a much better option, and I don't view him as anything great yet. Lane is the best out of the 3 IMHO.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1vqod3on said:
I think its a bit of a hole to fill. Lane seems better suited for the nickel. Simon likely makes the team only because the numbers dictate he will but he will be a liability out there just like Cary Williams. Too bad there is no one in free agency at the moment.

Cary Williams??? :sarcasm_off:

McGruff

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2s12qpnb said:
Simon has showed me nothing. Shead is a much better option, and I don't view him as anything great yet. Lane is the best out of the 3 IMHO.

I agree on Lane. I think Lane starts outside, and shifts inside in the nickel and dime.

I think Shead is the first off the bench. And I think he's better than average.

I think Tye Smith is the 4th corner, and Simon rounds out the top 5.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
It'll be matchup based.

The good thing is that Shead and Lane are really the best athletes at the position. Lane is reported to be one of the fastest players on the team despite his 4.5 flat 40 and is an explosive leaper with an over 40 inch vert. Shead tests as a better athlete than Sherman in every way and his 6.72 3-cone time for a player his size is uncanny and better than or as good as most of the small, quick, explosive WRs and RBs in the league.

They are different players though and matchups will dictate a lot.

Jville

Reaction score
DeShawn and Jeremy complement each other really well.

They are an idea combination to have with today's trends.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Polk738":33ptsk63 said:
It'll more than likely be Shead, while Lane will end up being the nickel.

Tharold Simon strikes me as nothing more than a backup at this point, if he even does make the team.

This is my thought exactly. I really want to like Simon, but he keeps disappointing me when he gets in the game. I wish we would have spent some of the draft capital we spent on RB's and taken some flyers at CB. I actually thought Jean-Baptiste was looking good in pre-season till he got hurt.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
I'd like to see Shead and Lane used situationally like last year. Different match ups. Cut Simon. I'd rather them keep Burley and focus their developmental resources on Tye Smith. Simon is all bark and no bite. All they do is hype him up and he is just garbage. Either blown coverage or PI, or both at the same time. Also instantly cries when he gets beat and looks for a flag. So tired of that crap.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Shead is coming off arguably the best performance of his career. Hope he keeps it up.