Nick Vannett has a high ankle sprain

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Rookie tight end Nick Vannett suffered a high ankle sprain in Thursday’s preseason game, but is making surprising progress, Carroll said: “He’s surprisingly feeling pretty good. He got a pretty good sprain it looked like from all the tests, but he has responded really well. I don’t know what that means, but the trainers were really pleased about that.”

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2016/08/21 ... te-carroll

High ankle sprains are notorious for lingering for a long time. Recovery usually takes 4 to 6 weeks.

Also, Jarran Reed has a sore toe, which could keep him out a while.

rjdriver

Reaction score
i wanted him to be just like Zach Miller, but I didn't mean this.

Hoping for a speedy recovery, we need a blocking TE

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
And it begins. The big injuries and our lack of real depth. Sigh.

ivotuk

Reaction score
This is why preseason is important. It gets them in to game shape, and imho, makes for fewer injuries in the long run.

I think it was Dave Wyman that said some of the early injuries can be attributable to the fact that they have so much less practice time with pads on, and that their bodies aren't in game shape. So when the season starts, we start seeing injuries, especially from players who either held out, or missed practices with injuries.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":y7hfa24q said:
This is why preseason is important. It gets them in to game shape, and imho, makes for fewer injuries in the long run.

I think it was Dave Wyman that said some of the early injuries can be attributable to the fact that they have so much less practice time with pads on, and that their bodies aren't in game shape. So when the season starts, we start seeing injuries, especially from players who either held out, or missed practices with injuries.

Me and a buddy talked about this the other year after they made that ruling. Practice with pads on is important, and I'm surprised the league hasn't noticed the correlation.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
OkieHawk":205x92f2 said:
ivotuk":205x92f2 said:

Me and a buddy talked about this the other year after they made that ruling. Practice with pads on is important, and I'm surprised the league hasn't noticed the correlation.

I distinctly recall a couple years back (perhaps 2014), where they did a cursory comparison of injuries in the 2008-2010 v. 2012-13 preseasons and the injury rates were fairly identical.

Every year we see anecdotal evidence of what we perceive to be 'injuries at an all time high' rates. But it's very easy to forget the injuries of the prior years to get a good comparison. They tend to be streaky over time. I think 2014 ended up being a QB heavy injury year and the debate raged strongly then. Only to have a relatively injury free 2015 amongst signal callers.

I'd be interested to see a compilation of injuries in say the five years before the CBA and the 5 non shortened seasons since (2012-16). (non concussion injuries since the effective diagnosis of those have definitely fluctuated as the protocol has changed to a more conservative standard).

I would expect that injury rates are pretty much unchanged. Certainly I haven't seen anything to suggest a correlation other than 'common sense' statistical speculation. I'd be shocked if these weren't tracked. I just haven't seen them published in any way.

I would be especially interested to see the injuries that omit non-contact injuries. That may be impossible since that's kind of a new designation for injuries and any study on injuries from 2006-10 would be tainted with those types as the distinction wouldn't be reliable. Since the wearing of pads and live contact really doesn't impact the freak non contact ACL/Achilles injuries that happen just by running around and jumping. No amount of game shape will prevent a rupture of these types -- as they don't get stronger or more durable with trauma.

I love Wyman, but his medical pedigree is basically zero. And while I love his style of old school commentary -- he strikes me very much as a 'back in my day' kind of analyst. A day where there is no basis for comparison from an experience standpoint what the reduced contact level correlates to injury risk.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":305gjds9 said:
And it begins. The big injuries and our lack of real depth. Sigh.

I don't think any team could withstand multiple injuries at one position without having a big drop off. It's not really about not having depth. Nobody has that kind of depth.

ivotuk

Reaction score
It may be false perception that has me thinking the injuries are worse without practice and padded contact, but it seems common sense that if you're not used to full padded contact, your muscle memory isn't the same. So if you go up against someone who has been practicing more, that they will have a decided advantage physically and that could cause injury.

I'm probably not explaining this very well, but I think that if one hasn't practiced, that they could approach contact with bad positioning, and end up in an awkward position because the other person who practices more, knows how to put you in that position, as opposed to you recognizing and avoiding it. Plus your built in muscle memory, where your body reacts without you thinking, isn't there.

Does that make sense? :?:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Although, on an optimistic note, Pete made it sound like Nick might be one of those Luke Willson types who just heal crazy fast. Hasn't Willson been through like two of these himself? What IS it with this position?

Largent80

Reaction score
ivotuk":114jsc8u said:

Pads don't cover the toes.

Ozzy

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3t4twrrd said:
Although, on an optimistic note, Pete made it sound like Nick might be one of those Luke Willson types who just heal crazy fast. Hasn't Willson been through like two of these himself? What IS it with this position?

I noticed that too. Got the sense this wouldn't be a long term injury. I have the same gut feeling on Reed too. Sit him until the opener. Reed is going to be vital this year.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1cdd2m50 said:
I distinctly recall a couple years back (perhaps 2014), where they did a cursory comparison of injuries in the 2008-2010 v. 2012-13 preseasons and the injury rates were fairly identical.

Every year we see anecdotal evidence of what we perceive to be 'injuries at an all time high' rates. But it's very easy to forget the injuries of the prior years to get a good comparison. They tend to be streaky over time. I think 2014 ended up being a QB heavy injury year and the debate raged strongly then. Only to have a relatively injury free 2015 amongst signal callers.

I'd be interested to see a compilation of injuries in say the five years before the CBA and the 5 non shortened seasons since (2012-16). (non concussion injuries since the effective diagnosis of those have definitely fluctuated as the protocol has changed to a more conservative standard).

I would expect that injury rates are pretty much unchanged. Certainly I haven't seen anything to suggest a correlation other than 'common sense' statistical speculation. I'd be shocked if these weren't tracked. I just haven't seen them published in any way.

I would be especially interested to see the injuries that omit non-contact injuries. That may be impossible since that's kind of a new designation for injuries and any study on injuries from 2006-10 would be tainted with those types as the distinction wouldn't be reliable. Since the wearing of pads and live contact really doesn't impact the freak non contact ACL/Achilles injuries that happen just by running around and jumping. No amount of game shape will prevent a rupture of these types -- as they don't get stronger or more durable with trauma.

I love Wyman, but his medical pedigree is basically zero. And while I love his style of old school commentary -- he strikes me very much as a 'back in my day' kind of analyst. A day where there is no basis for comparison from an experience standpoint what the reduced contact level correlates to injury risk.

Football Outsiders did a series about injury data, but nothing in regards to pre-season/training camp stuff. With that said, you can see an increase over the last couple of years during the regular season, which could be attributed to lack of pad training. Data is here and here.

OP
OP
H

hawknation2016

Reaction score
This could make Tanner McEvoy more valuable, while Vannett and Graham recover, since he has lined up at both split end receiver and TE and has excelled on special teams. Perhaps this increases his odds of making the roster.

Brandon Williams will probably be the biggest beneficiary of playing time, since he can block.

It sounds like a more minor high ankle sprain for Vannett, so we'll see.

kearly

Reaction score
Nick Vannett was one of my more liked draft picks this year, and he's actually played better in the preseason than I thought he would. He was a rock solid pick for Seattle.

That said, we should be just fine without him. Our offense kicked ass last year without ANY "Y" tight ends, and this year we seem to have two of them (Brandon Williams being the other).

Seattle loaded up on accessories in the draft this year, and while that's not something you want to do in EVERY draft, it's fine once in a while and the upside of such a draft is that if one of those accessories gets injured, you don't care as much because they were situational players to begin with. Remember how the offense actually got better last year when Jimmy Graham went down? It's partly because Graham is an accessory, not a building block. Same thing was true for Percy Harvin.

Hopefully he heals as quickly as is speculated. It's a bummer that we won't get to see Vannett in the final two preseason games. He had some of the prettiest play of any Seahawk in games 1 and 2.

kf3339

Reaction score
I really hope Vannett doesn't miss any regular season playing time. I thought he was coming along great!

Hopefully he will heal fast and be ready to go in three weeks. Also, I don't see Reed missing any playing time with his sore toe. He doesn't seem the type to let something like that stop him.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
hawknation2016":1c4ujktg said:
Rookie tight end Nick Vannett suffered a high ankle sprain in Thursday’s preseason game, but is making surprising progress, Carroll said: “He’s surprisingly feeling pretty good. He got a pretty good sprain it looked like from all the tests, but he has responded really well. I don’t know what that means, but the trainers were really pleased about that.”

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2016/08/21 ... te-carroll

High ankle sprains are notorious for lingering for a long time. Recovery usually takes 4 to 6 weeks.

Also, Jarran Reed has a sore toe, which could keep him out a while.
Didn't Willson come back like a week or two after he got one? He's young, might be a quick healer. Hopefully have them both back before week 2 at the latest. Jerran hopefully back for the last game of the pre season. Man, injuries blow. I wonder how much Jimmy is doing. Does anyone know?

OP
OP
H

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":3o9vvbp6 said:
I wonder how much Jimmy is doing. Does anyone know?

Carroll said they got some good news on Graham recently, but they're going to continue to be cautious with him because he's recovering from such a serious injury. Last week, Carroll said if the news was good, he might be on schedule to play by the start of the regular season. They keep increasing his non-contact workload.

I would like to see him play week two against the Rams, but I'm not sure how realistic that is. My somewhat educated (but still pretty wild) guess would be somewhere between week 2 and week 6 if nothing disastrous happens.

Latest posts